OT: And now we return to our regularly scheduled program

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I had an experience with that without a mask when I was in high school. My mother nagged me until I agreed to go some banquet with her. About an hour into it, someone tossed a couple CS grenades into it. I managed to get my mother and a few others out before I couldn't take it anymore. It was some cop's kid that did it. Nothing ever came of it.

CS is an irritant designed for crowd dispersal, but we use it in training. The idea is for the new Soldiers to gain confidence that their mask will work. They go in with the mask on and sealed, and then do some movements with their heads so prove the seal. Then the break their mask seal with eyes closed, and reseal the mask, blowing the air in it out.

At the end, to show them what the mask was keeping out, they take of their masks for 5 seconds, and then leave the room into open air outside.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You can speed things up by eating hot peppers. They'll clear that gunk out of your sinuses. Pepperoncini or banana peppers are hot enough to do the trick.
Sniffing Chinese hot mustard does it too.

CS is an irritant designed for crowd dispersal, but we use it in training. The idea is for the new Soldiers to gain confidence that their mask will work. They go in with the mask on and sealed, and then do some movements with their heads so prove the seal. Then the break their mask seal with eyes closed, and reseal the mask, blowing the air in it out.

At the end, to show them what the mask was keeping out, they take of their masks for 5 seconds, and then leave the room into open air outside.
Analogous to mask clearing for SCUBA. Amazing how people can panic if their mask floods or they lose their primary reg.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
when I was still doing tactical stuff, I’d go to the mask confidence course. A whiff of CS gas, and everything in the sinuses out now!

My father was an instructor on the CS confidence exercise at the end of his tenure in the Marines. He said it used to cause his gear to disintegrate.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My father was an instructor on the CS confidence exercise at the end of his tenure in the Marines. He said it used to cause his gear to disintegrate.

For the instructors, that might be true. The new Trainees only go in once, ever. We used to do it yearly until about a decade ago. We now have a machine with smells that prove the mask works right.

I can't imagine working the CS course. We used to have dedicated instructors. But we went away from that. Even a relatively harmless gas like CS, in constant doses, isn't good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For the instructors, that might be true. The new Trainees only go in once, ever. We used to do it yearly until about a decade ago. We now have a machine with smells that prove the mask works right.

I can't imagine working the CS course. We used to have dedicated instructors. But we went away from that. Even a relatively harmless gas like CS, in constant doses, isn't good.

Yeah, he and the other instructors used to get issued fresh utilities every two weeks or so.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Looked forward to following free agency while helping out my girlfriend in the stable and upgrading my home studio. Not much to follow and a really grey autumn day here in Sweden.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Looked forward to following free agency while helping out my girlfriend in the stable and upgrading my home studio. Not much to follow and a really grey autumn day here in Sweden.

Do foreign travelers have to quarantine in Sweden or any part of Europe? Is it strictly enforced?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Do foreign travelers have to quarantine in Sweden or any part of Europe? Is it strictly enforced?
No quarantine in Sweden but entry ban since we follow the recommendations for EU. https://www.swedenabroad.se/en/about-sweden-non-swedish-citizens/going-to-sweden/temporary-ban-on-travel-to-sweden/

I
travelled through Germany to Italy in summer but we were headed to an equestrian camp in the countryside.

Not a fun time to travel unless you're hiking or going to do a very specific activity. Pretty much everything is closed.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
No quarantine in Sweden but entry ban since we follow the recommendations for EU. Extension of temporary entry ban to the EU via Sweden due to COVID-19

I
travelled through Germany to Italy in summer but we were headed to an equestrian camp in the countryside.

Not a fun time to travel unless you're hiking or going to do a very specific activity. Pretty much everything is closed.

Yeah hiking would be the main thing I do. So basically European travel is still banned from the US?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Yeah hiking would be the main thing I do. So basically European travel is still banned from the US?
Yup, with the current rise in cases etc. I'm not to optimistic. If you want some pointers for hiking in Norway, Sweden or Scotland hit me up.

Reactions: EichHart

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I made a Sabres / Sweden? kite! You can't tell from the picture, but it is 88 inches tall and 97.5 inches wide.

50474474917_7a85ed9092_b.jpg

Reactions: HaNotsri

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Zamboni | Clean Ice. Clean Air. Clear Choice.

Yeah, they are one of those brands that just become the term for the category like Q-Tip, Xerox, Tissue, etc.
I think you meant Kleenex. At least with the other ones I know the real name for them (cotton swab, photocopier, tissue). What's the real term for a Zamboni? Ice cleaning machine?

Edit: Wikipedia says "Ice resurfacer." You learn something new every day. :)

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad