...and Marchant fires back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Seachd said:
Marchant's flapped his gums a few times too often. When the Oilers traded Carter and Niinimaa, he was mad. He said something along the lines of: "I'm sick of our players being traded away because of money."

He immediately took his free agency to the bank, cashed it in, is one of the more overpaid players in the league, and is now one of the leaders of the greed train.

Hypocrisy at its finest.
Ha, nice. I forgot about that.

myrocketsgotcracked

JWI19 said:
Do some of you people realize Marchant is gonna get paid the rest of his contract regardless of the outcome of the CBA?
is that true? because as a canuck fan, i heard there is a possibilty that naslund can retire after this hockey yr (if there is no season) because his contract will be expired anyways. i guess it all depends on what the new cba looks like.

JWI19 said:
His and other big contracts a binding and wont be ripped up because of a new CBA.
unforturnately

JWI19 said:
So why should he care, after all once his deal is done he'll be close to retiring.
many players play till their late 30s and early 40s these days, so i think he still have 1 or more contracts left in him, specially with his speed. therefore, he does care, because if the nhlpa wins, he'll cash in big time again after this contract.

JWI19 said:
Maybe just maybe he and other are looking out for the younger and future NHL players.
then how come so many younger players (those that are supposed to be helped) are speaking up against the nhlpa? how are they helping the '04 and '05 draft class, when those players can be playing in the nhl and earning good money? how are they helping the dagenais, ference, commodore? how come those that speak up against the young players are the veterans who are on big contracts (pronger, mccabe, marchant)?
anybody who thinks pronger, mccabe, marchant, modano, etc are looking out for the young players are naive. they are all looking out for themselves and how many zeros they'll get on their next contracts.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
SuperKarateMonkey said:
is that true? because as a canuck fan, i heard there is a possibilty that naslund can retire after this hockey yr (if there is no season) because his contract will be expired anyways. i guess it all depends on what the new cba looks like..

I always thought he would retire to go back home to play hockey, not because of money.

many players play till their late 30s and early 40s these days, so i think he still have 1 or more contracts left in him, specially with his speed. therefore, he does care, because if the nhlpa wins, he'll cash in big time again after this contract.

But there is no way he's gonna get another deal like he has if he plays, 4 years down the road is a long time in hockey.

then how come so many younger players (those that are supposed to be helped) are speaking up against the nhlpa? how are they helping the '04 and '05 draft class, when those players can be playing in the nhl and earning good money? how are they helping the dagenais, ference, commodore? how come those that speak up against the young players are the veterans who are on big contracts (pronger, mccabe, marchant)?
anybody who thinks pronger, mccabe, marchant, modano, etc are looking out for the young players are naive. they are all looking out for themselves and how many zeros they'll get on their next contracts.

5 players isn't a lot. It's a vast minority. I do feel bad for those guys, the NHLPA should have some sort of fund for these guys if they are having a hard time paying their bills. These guys really just want to play hockey first and foremost. Take any kind of strike in other industries, the workers want to go back to work and earn money, but it's up to elected union heads to look out for whats best of the union for now and for the future. When i was a kid my dad was out on strike for a long time, but in the end it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->