6. James Van Riemsdyk
7. Alexei Cherepanov
8. Nick Petrecki
9. Logan Couture
10. Sam Gagner

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
It's not so much listing what spot they'll go, I'd like to get a little scouting report on each..just to enhance my knowledge.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
From what I saw from Gagner (WJC and 2 OHL game)

+ : Game breaking skills. Speed and good vision
- : really weak. Bad defensively (but thats usual for a 17 yo player)

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
From what I saw from Gagner (WJC and 2 OHL game)

+ : Game breaking skills. Speed and good vision
- : really weak. Bad defensively (but thats usual for a 17 yo player)

Thank you, that's what I'm looking for :D

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
I don't know a ton about any of these guys but I'll give you my thoughts.

Alzner
- The one word that comes to my mind when I think about this guy is SOLID. Doesn't really do any one thing great but does everything very well.

Kane
- Pure sniper, not great defensively, seems to float around till he gets the puck but once he gets it he's absolutely dynamic, great stickhandler

Esposito
- All the talent in the world but absolutely no drive, very fast with good vision

Voracek
- Great puck protection, not afraid to drive to the net and make things happen, plays more of a puck possession game

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
I'll only speak to the ones I've seen in person.

----

Kane Positives: Nose for the net, great speed, great passing, great hockey sense. Plays big when it counts.

Kane Negatives: He's small. Not a particularly physical player. Still has some growing to do defensively (but what barely 18 year old sniper doesn't? Not many!).

----

Van Riemsdyk Positives: Good height, good speed, great shot, great hands. Knows how to keep his linemates involved. Excellent on special teams (leads the U-18s in PPGs and SHGs).

Van Riemsdyk Negatives: He needs to fill out, but with that 6'3 frame, I expect he will. He appears to me to have made significant strides in the physical aspect of his game since last year when I first saw him, but he still has room to grow there (that will come with filling out I imagine). He's also a fairly raw player. A bit of a late bloomer. Definitely needs a couple years at UNH before he's NHL ready, IMO. But he'll be a stud when the time is right.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
I'll only speak to the ones I've seen in person.

----

Kane Positives: Nose for the net, great speed, great passing, great hockey sense. Plays big when it counts.

Kane Negatives: He's small. Not a particularly physical player. Still has some growing to do defensively (but what barely 18 year old sniper doesn't? Not many!).

----

Van Riemsdyk Positives: Good height, good speed, great shot, great hands. Knows how to keep his linemates involved. Excellent on special teams (leads the U-18s in PPGs and SHGs).

Van Riemsdyk Negatives: He needs to fill out, but with that 6'3 frame, I expect he will. He appears to me to have made significant strides in the physical aspect of his game since last year when I first saw him, but he still has room to grow there (that will come with filling out I imagine). He's also a fairly raw player. A bit of a late bloomer. Definitely needs a couple years at UNH before he's NHL ready, IMO. But he'll be a stud when the time is right.
Would Blake Wheeler be a fair comparison for JVR? I was hoping to see him play in the bronze medal game against Sweden last week, but he didn't play a shift.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Would Blake Wheeler be a fair comparison for JVR? I was hoping to see him play in the bronze medal game against Sweden last week, but he didn't play a shift.

Wheeler is an interesting comparison. They do play with a similar style, and they are very similar in terms of size (and needing to fill out). Both are also great skaters. But my sense is that JVR has more natural offensive skill, and better hands than Wheeler. Wheeler is probably better defensively at this point, though I'm not sure if he was when he was in his draft year. IMO, JVR is a better prospect than Wheeler. And since Wheeler was a top 5 pick, I recognize that this is high praise.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Petrecki:
+ Plays with a bit of a mean streak and is a nasty hitter from the blueline. Has a nice, hard shot from the point.

- Very raw prospect that is likely at least a couple years at the NCAA level away from turning pro. Needs to work on his offensive awareness. Takes foolish penalties from time to time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->