Analyzing the Medal Round Possibilities:

Pyke*

So, I figured I'd take a look at the possibilities.

Right now, in Pool A, Finland has 10 points (loss v. U.S.), U.S.A has 8 points (win v. Fin), Switzerland has 6 points.

In Pool B, we know that the seeds are:
1B: Sweden
2B: Canada
3B: Russia or Czech Republic

In Pool A, the U.S./Swiss game is important. Possible outcomes:

Regulation U.S. Win:
=> 1A: U.S, 2A: Finland, 3A: Switzerland
QF: Can v. Swiss; Fin v. 3B
SF: (CAN/SWISS) v. U.S.; (FIN/3B) v. Sweden

Overtime U.S. Win:
=> Same as above (U.S. wins tie-break)

Overtime Swiss Win:
=> 1A: Finland, 2A: U.S., 3A: Switzerland
QF: Can v. Swiss, U.S. v. 3B
SF: (CAN/SWISS) v. Fin; (U.S./3B) v. Sweden

Regulation Swiss Win:
=> 1A: Finland, 2A: Switzerland, 3A: U.S.
QF: Can v. U.S., Swiss v. 3B
SF: (CAN/U.S.) v. Fin; (Swiss/3B) v. Sweden

-=-=-=-

So here's to a Swiss victory in overtime? :P

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was gonna start a thread like this because people were asking about it in the Canada/Sweden GDT, but I was too lazy.

One interesting aspect that will make the SUI victory unlikely is the fact that the Swiss have nothing to gain by going into OT, they have to win in regulation to get 2nd. So if it's tied late they may pull their goalie to try and win, and make a goal more likely unfortunately.

I kind of don't want to face the Swiss as they're my 2nd favorite team, but not facing them means a QF match against the US. I'm torn

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So if the US wins tonight, Canada will have to beat the Swiss?

Not exactly their best opponent of late.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I don't think he's reffering to the World juniors but international hockey in general. They lost to them at last years world championships, and last years U18

Ah.. in general? That makes some sense then.

I'm not too worried about Switzerland though their trap game can be a bit frustrating. Canada's PP would be too much for them.

Canada-USA in semi-finals will be quite the game.

Humphrey*

I don't follow junior hockey too much, but I do have tickets to the medal games. Can someone tell me, based on the OP, what I'm most likely looking at for the gold medal game?

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't follow junior hockey too much, but I do have tickets to the medal games. Can someone tell me, based on the OP, what I'm most likely looking at for the gold medal game?

Based on current scenario and current form, it's hard to say that Sweden/USA isn't the most likely Gold Medal game matchup.

Humphrey*

Based on current scenario and current form, it's hard to say that Sweden/USA isn't the most likely Gold Medal game matchup.
ok, thanks.

Is there a good chance sure is it a lock as some seem to think no.
yeah, i didn't think there would be a "most likely" matchup. was just seeing what you guys think because i don't follow juniors.

I really hope either Canada or US is in the finals.

Humphrey*

or actually, if the Swiss somehow win then the US has a much easier path to the gold medal game. Hmmmmm

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Wouldnt it be something if sweden lose to russia and canada to US making sweden and canada the ugly brides fighting for bronze X|||||

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
My money is on Canada vs Sweden for Gold, and USA vs Finland for Bronze.

Then again, i'm always extremely pessimistic when it comes to how team USA will do.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It is deja vu, all over again. 3 years ago...

Sweden beat Canada on the last day of the Round Robin to win their pool.
Canada had to play a quarterfinal game and won.
Canada had to play the Americans in the Semi's and won.
Canada had a rematch with the Swedes in the Finals and won.

It will play out again this year, verbatim.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I find it amusing how all the pressure that certain Canadian media outlets was trying to apply to the U.S. as the tournament favorites is now creeping up on Canada. The noose is tightening folks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->