Analyzing the development of the Winnipeg Jets

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The Winnipeg Jets are in their third season since calling the Gateway to the West home. While the supporting cast has changed dramatically, the team's core has stayed largely the same. Many have stated that on paper the Jets have a far stronger roster with the alterations. In addition, Claude Noel and company have had three years to implement their preferred playing style and systems.

With all these factors, improvement should be an expectation. The Jets have reached the 20 game mark, which historically has been a good threshold for using shot metrics for evaluating team play and predicting future success. With that in mind, let's look at how the Jets have performed in five-on-five situations, which make up the vast majority of all gameplay...

Continued here

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think long term they fit better in the west with its hard fought grinding style. I felt at times they got in trouble in the east when they opened up with teams. I think they have the size and more importantly the size with skill advantage to really grind out wins.

They just need to keep that mentality

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think long term they fit better in the west with its hard fought grinding style. I felt at times they got in trouble in the east when they opened up with teams. I think they have the size and more importantly the size with skill advantage to really grind out wins.

They just need to keep that mentality

Could be right. Setoguchi for example hasn't paced any higher points than previous seasons, but his two-way play and shot metrics have been much better.

I don't know the answers or the future, and didn't pretend as such.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
This article is making me worried. :( I hope that "starts to" is the key part of the phrase "starts to become predictive". Although it brings up the interesting question of what people will blame this year on if we do regress.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes, of course, Tom clearly elucidated me on this point, no idea what I was thinking.

A9LH321.jpg

Hopefully we'll continue to improve. We will see. :laugh:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yes, of course, Tom clearly elucidated me on this point, no idea what I was thinking.

A9LH321.jpg

Hopefully we'll continue to improve. We will see. :laugh:
Related to that upward trend...

Since that ugly Habs game on the 15th the Jets have posted the following:
FF% Close 49.11%
CF% Close 50.00%

The opponents they faced over that stretch have averaged (season):
FF% Close 52.55%
CF% Close 52.16%

Lets hope the early bit was an anomaly and this is more of what we will see going forward.

That said, those numbers don't point to a top notch team - they point to a bubble team - and the recent success may not be enough to dig them out of this early hole.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Nice analysis garret (and interesting to see how they've trended in the right direction since that Habs game - thanks for that truck).

It'll be interesting to see what happens as they enter this slightly "easier" portion of the schedule. I'm still of the mind that it's unfortunate that (and close your eyes, those that dislike these players! I'm warning you! :D) at least Antro and Hainsey didn't return. I believe that the possession numbers would have been better with those two still around.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Nice analysis garret (and interesting to see how they've trended in the right direction since that Habs game - thanks for that truck).

It'll be interesting to see what happens as they enter this slightly "easier" portion of the schedule. I'm still of the mind that it's unfortunate that (and close your eyes, those that dislike these players! I'm warning you! :D) at least Antro and Hainsey didn't return. I believe that the possession numbers would have been better with those two still around.
Also, Burmi and Wellwood.

IMO either guy would upgrade at 3LW and I suspect it'd be enough to push that line into the black.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->