NHL Entry Draft: Analyzer & Cardiac_Canes 2008 mock draft

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So analyzer and I put this together today. We tried to go by teams needs unless it looks like they'll take the best player available and we took a look at past draft tendencies to see what leagues each team likes to tap. It was pretty hard considering the number of quality prospects this year so there'll likely be some disagreement over picks but here it is:

1. Tampa Bay Lightning - C Steven Stamkos (Sarnia Sting, OHL)
Best player available, almost instant replacement for Richards.

2. Los Angeles Kings - D Drew Doughty (Guelph Storm, OHL)
Too skilled to pass on. Kings already have Johnson playing a similar style as
Bogosian.

3. Atlanta Thrashers - D Zach Bogosian (Peterborough Petes, OHL)
Big, strong and skilled. Adds grit to their lineup and given their depth could make
his nhl debut immediately.

4. St. Louis Blues - D Luke Schenn (Kelowna Rockets, WHL)
Great shutdown defenseman. He and Johnson will be patrolling the blue line for
years to come.

5. New York Islanders - C Nikita Filatov (Central Army, RSL)
The Islanders lack scoring prospects, especially at center. Filatov wants to play
in the nhl and it shouldn't be long before he can crack their lineup.

6. Columbus Blue Jackets - D Alex Pietrangelo (Niagara Ice Dogs, OHL)
The Blue Jackets lack defensive prospects with first pairing upside.

7. Toronto Maple Leafs - LW Mikkel Boedker (Kitchener Rangers, OHL)
Speed is lacking in Toronto's forward prospects and Boedker certainly brings
that. Extremely skilled.

8. Phoenix Coyotes - C Colin Wilson (Boston University, NCAA)
Most people think they'll take Myers with this pick but they lack nhl ready
prospects and Wilson is a pretty safe pick. Impressive at the draft combine,
he's physically ready for the nhl and could play for Phoenix in 2 years or so.

9. Nashville Predators - C Cody Hodgson (Brampton Battalion, OHL)
Center is a weak position in Nashville's prospect pool and Hodgson is a safe pick.

10. Vancouver Canucks - C Kyle Beach (Everet Silvertips, WHL)
Vancouver gains a big, gritty player who projects to be a power forward,
something they've missed since losing Bertuzzi. Beach's character issues may
scare some away but if Vancouver could deal with Big Bert, they can deal with
Beach.

11. Chicago Blackhawks - D Tyler Myers (Kelowna Rockets, WHL)
Defense isn't a pressing need but the combination of size and speed will be too
much to resist. Imagine a team with Byfuglien and Myers. Sure, they could take
a safer pick but they can afford to take the risk.

12. Anaheim Ducks - D Colten Teubert (Regina Pats, WHL)
Defense is a serious issue in Anaheim's prospect pool. Teubert is big and has a
mean streak, a perfect fit on Anaheim's blue line.

13. Buffalo Sabres - D Michael Del Zotto (Oshawa Generals, OHL)
Quick skating, offensive defenseman a perfect fit for Buffalo's system.

14. Carolina Hurricanes - C Zach Boychuk (Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL)
Carolina goes to the dub again. Offense may not carry over at the nhl level
but at worst he could be paired with Sutter in a checking role.

15. Nashville Predators - LW Joe Colborne (Camrose Kodiaks, AJHL)
A bit of a reach this high in the draft but after making a safe pick earlier they
can afford to take a risk. The possible outcome is worth it.

16. Boston Bruins - LW Mattias Tedenby (HV71, SEL)
Boston lacks high end, offensive wingers in their system. Tedenby brings great
speed.

17. Calgary Flames - C Josh Bailey (Windsor Spitfires, OHL)
The organization lacks skilled forwards outside of Backlund and Boyd. At worst,
solid two-way forward.

18. Ottawa Senators - C Jordan Eberle (Regina Pats, WHL)
Ottawa lacks secondary scoring. Eberle has a lethal wristshot.

19. Columbus Blue Jackets - D Colby Robak (Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL)
Columbus is able to add another stud defensive prospect, hopefully solidifying
that aspect of their organization for years to come.

20. New York Rangers - D Luca Sbisa (Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL)
Willing to play a physical style, should fit in well with the Rangers. Solid puck
mover.

21. New Jersey Devils - D John Carlson (Indiana Ice, USHL)
Carlson styles his play after that of Scott Stevens. Impressive at the combine,
Carlson already has nhl size. Offensive numbers may be inflated because of
playing in the USHL but he has a good point shot and solid offensive instincts.

22. Edmonton Oilers - C Greg Nemisz (Windsor Spitfires, OHL)
Big, goal-scoring forward.

23. Washington Capitals - C Anton Gustafsson (Vastra Frolunda, Swe-Jr)
Capitals system lacks forwards with grit who can play a checking role.
Gustafsson has good size and two-way ability.

24. Minnesota Wild - D Aaron Ness (Roseau Rams, USHS)
Minnesota goes with the local this pick. Small but incredibly skilled.

25. Montreal Canadiens - C Mikhail Stefanovich (Quebec Ramparts, QMJHL)
The habs add another Belarussian to their organization. Similar to Deschamps
in that scouts sometimes question his motivation but has better size and a higher
upside.

26. Buffalo Sabres - C Zac Dalpe (Plymouth Whalers, OHL)
Buffalo has a lot of small forwards in their prospect pool and Dalpe is another
one. If size really is a concern then A.J. Jenks is a better option, but the sabres
go with the more skilled player.

27. Philadelphia Flyers - G Chet Pickard (Tri-City Americans, WHL)
The first goaltender picked in this years draft, Pickard adds to what is a very
weak position in the flyers prospect pool.

28. Los Angeles Kings - D Tyler Cuma (Ottawa 67's, OHL)
Doesn't do anything great, but does everything well. A fairly safe picks who
seems destined to be a solid top 4 defenseman.

29. Atlanta Thrashers - C A.J. Jenks (Plymouth Whalers, OHL)
Not the first line center Atlanta is looking for but he brings size and checking
ability. Unlikely he'll score much at the nhl level.

30. Detroit Red Wings - G Jacob Markstrom (Brynas, SEL)
Most wings fans don't see another goaltending prospect as a need but with
Howard making the jump to the backup role full time next year and Chris Osgood
not getting any younger this seems like a good oppurtunity for Detroit to add a
solid goaltending prospect.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not sure Stefanovich or Jenks goes in the first but all-in-all well done. My predictions for the first round aren't much different. I still think Phoenix takes Myers if that's how the top 7 shakes out.

Hard to argue with Gustafsson to the Caps, though. :)

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
From a Devils POV, I love it, and I don't think you'd find a single Devils fan that would be unhappy with Carlson. At this point I think most of us are afraid that he'll get chosen before the 21st pick.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Would agree that a player with speed and skill like Boedker would be a good pick for Toronto. Certainly are a few guys that could go at that spot with a draft like this, but that seems a good choice in my mind.

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007
Well thought out and makes sense for the most part.

Well done. I wouldn't be surprised if the draft goes like this.

Spalfredsson

Jun 26, 2007
From a Devils POV, I love it, and I don't think you'd find a single Devils fan that would be unhappy with Carlson. At this point I think most of us are afraid that he'll get chosen before the 21st pick.

A lot of senators fans feel the exact same way about Carlson :p:. We're hoping he makes it to the 18th pick.. lol.

Colton2233

Mar 28, 2008
For the Canucks Id rather them take Myers then Beach. but Gillis will take Myers if he is there. Nice job guys making this mock.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

I think he'll get chosen before our pick. He seems to be on the rise and if Carlson is Conte's man, he's going to have to move up to get him.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Stefanovich won't go to MTL in the first and he won't go first round period.

Since you're able to predict the future why don't you tell me who they will take then, hotshot? Or maybe you should just put up or shut up since you didn't even make your own mock draft? Seriously, at least say why you don't think they'll take him and who a better option is. People need to realize this is just for fun and there's no way you're going to get everything right so don't just criticize the people who are actually willing to make one.

Thanks to everyone else for the positive comments. Like I said we took our time trying to do a good job on it.

Last edited:

Analyzer*

Stefanovich won't go to MTL in the first and he won't go first round period.

He's an early 2nd for sure, but he's what Montreal needs, that could theoretically be left at that point.

Who else is Montreal suppose to take? Another defenseman for their already over-stocked prospect pool in that area? A goalie? Or, how about another small, speedy forward?

Stefanovich is 6'3, already over in North America. Everyone loves the grit of the Kostitsyn brothers, so why shouldn't Stefanovich be able to learn from that?

If Nemisz, or Colborne are left at that point, i hope Montreal takes them. If they're not, then I hope they take Stefanovich.

Who else could possibly help Montreal with size at the centre position?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Since you're able to predict the future why don't you tell me who they will take then, hotshot? Or maybe you should just put up or shut up since you didn't even make your own mock draft? Seriously, at least say why you don't think they'll take him and who a better option is. People need to realize this is just for fun and there's no way you're going to get everything right so don't just criticize the people who are actually willing to make one.

Thanks to everyone else for the positive comments. Like I said we took our time trying to do a good job on it.

I can't predict the future, but in my mind at 25 if one of the following players are available: Nicolas Deschamps, Justin Jokinen or Corey Trivino, they will be a Montreal Canadien.

However, I will have a mock draft. I've not drawn it up yet. Why are you getting defensive over ONE comment about the team that I follow? Did I say "You're a ****ing idiot" did I belittle you in any way? No, I simple said that Stefanovich will not be drafted in the first (opinion) and not picked by MTL.

He's an early 2nd for sure, but he's what Montreal needs, that could theoretically be left at that point.

Who else is Montreal suppose to take? Another defenseman for their already over-stocked prospect pool in that area? A goalie? Or, how about another small, speedy forward?

Stefanovich is 6'3, already over in North America. Everyone loves the grit of the Kostitsyn brothers, so why shouldn't Stefanovich be able to learn from that?

If Nemisz, or Colborne are left at that point, i hope Montreal takes them. If they're not, then I hope they take Stefanovich.

Stefanovich is playing on the wing in the QMJHL. He's left the team at points to go back to Belarus. He has a lot of deficiencies and he's said to not even use that size. He may be Belarussian and friends with Sergei Kostitsyn but he has also said his distaste for the Montreal Canadiens method of making a player pay his dues in the AHL first. It has all the makings of the odd couple and I don't think it will happen.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I can't predict the future, but in my mind at 25 if one of the following players are available: Nicolas Deschamps, Justin Jokinen or Corey Trivino, they will be a Montreal Canadien.

However, I will have a mock draft. I've not drawn it up yet. Why are you getting defensive over ONE comment about the team that I follow? Did I say "You're a ****ing idiot" did I belittle you in any way? No, I simple said that Stefanovich will not be drafted in the first (opinion) and not picked by MTL.

All I'm saying is don't just present it as fact, "Stefanovich will not be picked by the habs or in the first", but as your opinion and tell us why. That's the point of mock drafts, discussing the prospects. I didn't bother to make a mock draft for people to look at and point out what's wrong.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
As a Sens fan, I have to say that even if we lack secondary scoring now, our strongest position prospect-wse is forward. Foligno, O'Brien, Daugavins, Regin, Zubov, Nikulin, Mirnov, et all provide a lot more hope than anything we have defence-wise, especially now that Lee is up with the big team. I think they'll take a defenceman.

Amputechture

Jun 24, 2007
Toronto

I seriously have my doubts that the habs will select Stefanovich with their first pick. You cant look at his size and say..."this guy needs to be on the team because the habs lack a player with his size"...as stated in many other threads...he is often reluctant to use the size that he does have...the habs have made the mistake of drafting player based on size in the past and it has bit them in the ass...I dont see timmins making that mistake. I would much rather a jokinen, or deschampes with our first pick as i feel those players can offer us much more than what stefanovich can bring.

Aside from this you guys did a good job on this mock draft...these things are damn hard to compile and I give you guys kudos for coming up with what you have!!

Analyzer*

I seriously have my doubts that the habs will select Stefanovich with their first pick. You cant look at his size and say..."this guy needs to be on the team because the habs lack a player with his size"...as stated in many other threads...he is often reluctant to use the size that he does have...the habs have made the mistake of drafting player based on size in the past and it has bit them in the ass...I dont see timmins making that mistake. I would much rather a jokinen, or deschampes with our first pick as i feel those players can offer us much more than what stefanovich can bring.

Aside from this you guys did a good job on this mock draft...these things are damn hard to compile and I give you guys kudos for coming up with what you have!!

If we thought Nemisz, or Colborne would have been around, I'd say Montreal would take one of them. Though, as Wethreekings as stated about his distaste for the habs and their making people play in the AHL, sheds new light.

DownInFlames

Feb 2, 2007
NE1-But-Cancuks
Nice work I, being a Flames fan would like to commend you. There are so many mock drafts saying Calgary will take a d-man. This just isn't the case. Sutter has said he wants a forward in the first. I hope he can get Tedenby to play with Backlund. It would be nice. I would be happy with 1. Tedenby 2. Bailey 3. Ness (maybe trading down and picking up a 2nd rounder) 4. Colburne. All in all nice work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad