Analytics in general and the Edmonton Oilers Analytics Area

• Thread starter Deleted member 241491
  • Start date

Deleted member 241491

I read an article this summer discussing the NHL making more data available to help teams with their analytics. One example was putting sensors on players to note where they are on the ice. No timeline was given. Any more known about this? The article suggested teams were making the changes needed in their arenas to make this happen.

What is known about the people who crunch the data for the Oilers to help them? I keep reading that teams are beefing up their analytic staff but what is known about our favourite team?

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hate to disappoint, but not much is known about our analytics guys or should I say guy.

Justin Mahe is our Manager of Hockey Analysis and based on a list published by one of the writers for the Athletic in NYC he's it. Now luckily we're not alone with just one guy as most teams have one or two guys dedicated to it (opposite of the Leafs who have like 8 guys.) but other than that there's not much to know. He was promoted in 2016, so from what I can see so he's been with the team for a while.

That being said, Ken Holland is known to be not a huge fan of analytics. During his tenure in Detroit he was quoted as saying he used "gut analytics" and during his introductory press conference in Edmonton he said analytics are "a tool" and "I don't believe it makes your decisions". Take that any way you want to, but it doesn't sound positive.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Meh.

IMO, analytics in hockey are like that 20-something hipster who thinks that his radical ideas are the most innovative authority of the day, even though society was doing just fine long before he ever showed up. For all his bravado, he hasn't proven a whole lot.

Case in point, look no further than the analytics-addicted Arizona Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->