Analytics be damned!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Here's what I have a problem with when it comes to applying sabermetrics to hockey.

1. I know it applies well to baseball, but the dynamics of baseball and hockey are very different. Baseball in a nutshell is a series of one-on-one events. The pitcher throws the ball, and the batter tries to hit it. Very basic, very simple. One pitcher, one batter, one event, and primarily one defensive player.

2. What I have issue with, is that hockey has far more dynamics involved. Instead of three variables like in baseball (pitcher, hitter, defender) you have numerous others. If we are talking strictly about shots, then there are the following: shooter, goalie, opposing defenders (2), opposing forwards (3), available teammates (1-4), shot location, is there a screen?, is there a tip?, is there a rebound? Are the defenders boxing out the rebound-attacking forwards? All factors that are not considered by corsi.

3. What corsi does is essentially removes all the above factors that I listed above and labels them as insignificant variables. Which undermines it's accuracy. Essentially, all shots are treated equally; and they are not. A shot from the point is not as dangerous as a shot from in close. An unscreened shot is not as dangerous as a screened shot. A clean shot is not as dangerous as a tipped shot.

Advanced statistics in hockey is really just in it's infancy. It's not an exact science; not yet. Not close. If you want to be actually predictive with a stat/measure, then you need to have your indicator be much more accurate than it currently is. Generalization of variables makes your predictor less accurate.

If you look in economics and check the confidence level of predictors (i.e. in industries, etc.) they typically have 99% accuracy. If you look at this: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/4/4/4178716/why-possession-matters-a-visual-guide-to-fenwick it shows that teams with below .500 fenwick (not corsi, I know, I know) made it to the playoffs 31% of the time. That's a 69% predictive success rate for "bad puck possession teams". On the opposite end? "Good puck possession teams" only made the playoffs 76% of the time. Not really something you can put a whole lot of stock into. Clearly there is evidence here (76% vs. 31%) that better puck possession teams make the playoffs, but it is in no way a certainty.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This subject is really interesting to me.

I have been a Leaf fan forever. I moved to europe in 2001 and therefore hardly watched any hockey at all until I moved back in April of 2012. I watched about 55 Leaf games I think last season and was pretty thrilled with how they played (I guess I picked a good time to be away LOL).

I recently got into a big argument with some people in another forum. It seems like this place is filled with Leafs haters and they all agree that the Leafs were just lucky period. When I said I watched a ton of games and they looked to me like they earned their points they started talking to me like I'm some kind of idiot homer who simply doesn't understand numbers etc. and I finally gave up arguing with them because it was pointless.

I think that there is definitely some value in stats, however I think hockey stats are still in their infancy and have a long way to go. Shot stats definitely have some value though. If we take the 16 teams that had the best shot differential last season, 14 made the playoffs which suggests that sorting by shots on net will give you some idea who the better teams are. Also, Toronto had an insanely high shooting percentage which could be at least partly due to luck IMO. I would be shocked it they were anywhere near as high again this year and if I was to argue that the Leafs will "regress to the mean" this year, that would probably be my #1 argument.

However, Toronto was 29th in shot differential and still finished 10th overall and they're not the only anomaly - NJ was #1 in shot differential yet missed the playoffs so sorting by that stat obviously is not 100% reliable.

Bottom line IMO - it's possible that the Leafs were indeed somewhat lucky last season, but just from watching them play I would say they that their 10th place overall finish is a better indication of how good they are then their 29th place in shot differential. However, they weren't THAT good, they were only a couple of points out of 17th place overall and not miles ahead of the teams behind them so they are far from a lock to make the playoffs this season.

I still think they are a slight favorite to make the playoffs this year. Even if they were somewhat lucky last year and therefore whould regress some this season based on that, that is more than made up for by the fact that they are a young team and have a few players who stand to be better (mainly Gardner), Lupul will also hopefully play many more games than last year which obviously will help and also they improved in the off season in the short term (though for the long term I didn't like the moves they made overall except for acquiring Bernier).

I definitely don't think advanced stats should be ignored completely and if the Leafs brass has that attitude then frankly that's more than a little bit scary.

Anyhow, curious as to what others think. Even more curious to see how it all plays out this year.

Go Leafs Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad