#/Analysis of Larkin: Stacking up to 1C's very well

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still have to thank Jim Nill's "greatness" picking Julius Honka ahead of us...

They have another "Ouellet" now there, and I could seriously pick Dallas Stars winning the 2019 Stanley Cup at last season, if they could have picked Larkin from 2014 draft. They had exactly Larkin-style of center missing from that team and "poor man's larkin" Roope Hintz almost started looking like that but wasn't ready yet.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Here's another way of looking at it. Where do you rank Ryan O'Reilly among centers? I don't think he's top 10. arguably not top20. I think Larkin is arguably already in that same range as ROR. St. Louis just won a Cup with that guy because they had the right team around him.

If Veleno becomes as effective as Larkin, the Wings could really start rolling again. They might not be the top center combo in the league, but they wouldn't be fun to go against.

We’re going to need these defenseman to hit in a big way if we want to use that model... not necessarily just Veleno.

Pieterangelo and Parayko did a lot of the heavy lifting on that team. We will some of Hronek, Seider, others to become studs to replicate the success of St. Louis.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Larkin will make a great 2C on the contending team.
But it seems that unless Veleno jumps into the Elite 1C category, we haven't drafted our 1C yet.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We’re going to need these defenseman to hit in a big way if we want to use that model... not necessarily just Veleno.

Pieterangelo and Parayko did a lot of the heavy lifting on that team. We will some of Hronek, Seider, others to become studs to replicate the success of St. Louis.

To be fair, we're probably going to need these D to hit in a big way regardless of who is at center. I mean, we've lately spent a lot of time on the board going over Athanasiou and Mantha but unless we get the blueline fixed in a big way in a relatively short period of time, those guys are going to age out of being a part of the core of a future contending team.

I think we're also still in the middle of seeing the NHL transition into whatever it's going to become with how they've screwed with the draft, the cap, and whatever they try to screw with in the next labor negotiations. I think we're going to see more winners like St. Louis where you look at them, and they look good but you see other teams that seem to be clearly deeper and better. But they just put things together for a run because while those other teams are better, there won't be the separation between them that we saw in the past between the real contending teams and the merely really good ones. I think we've seen it start to play out with Pitt winning that second cup a few years back and Boston making a run this year, too.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think Larkin has capped out in his development and he is in the high teens and low 20s on most of the center lists. If Veleno can be his Krejci to Larkin's Bergeron we are in serious business down the middle. If we land a Byfield we are going to have a legitimate two headed monster and there is less pressure on Veleno. But again I don't think Larkin is done where he is, dude works tirelessly, I expect him to be another step better again this year.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think Larkin absolutely has it in him to score 80-90 points and contend for selkes, much like Datsyuk and Zetterberg did. Though it's now an easier feat considering the overall rise in scoring.

He doesn't have his elite twin to play with and feed off of like the euro twins did, nor does he have a plethora of elite dmen to give him the puck. Once he gets some better linemates his numbers will experience a nice lift and suddenly he'll be considered amongst the top 10Cs in the league even if he didn't actually improve all that much individually from last season. I don't even strictly mean players on his same line - I think the powerplay is where his offense can improve the most. Having other elite players to play with can boost his pp production a good amount.

I'm not expecting much more individual improvement from him other than from a defensive standpoint, in which experience helps a lot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Larkin absolutely has it in him to score 80-90 points and contend for selkes, much like Datsyuk and Zetterberg did. Though it's now an easier feat considering the overall rise in scoring.

He doesn't have his elite twin to play with and feed off of like the euro twins did, nor does he have a plethora of elite dmen to give him the puck. Once he gets some better linemates his numbers will experience a nice lift and suddenly he'll be considered amongst the top 10Cs in the league even if he didn't actually improve all that much individually from last season. I don't even strictly mean players on his same line - I think the powerplay is where his offense can improve the most. Having other elite players to play with can boost his pp production a good amount.

I'm not expecting much more individual improvement from him other than from a defensive standpoint, in which experience helps a lot.

He better cut down on his penalties this year, we need our best player to stay out of the box more often.

Reactions: TheMule93

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't think Larkin has capped out in his development and he is in the high teens and low 20s on most of the center lists. If Veleno can be his Krejci to Larkin's Bergeron we are in serious business down the middle. If we land a Byfield we are going to have a legitimate two headed monster and there is less pressure on Veleno. But again I don't think Larkin is done where he is, dude works tirelessly, I expect him to be another step better again this year.

Perfetti loks like hes at least going to be tried at center this year. They just had a preseason game where he went 60% on the draw taking 12 faceoffs and had 4 primary assists in a 5-4 win. Even if the wings miss out on Lafreniere they might get a center in the mold of Byfield, Perfetti or Lundell which would make Larkin more likely to be the Krejci in that situation.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Perfetti loks like hes at least going to be tried at center this year. They just had a preseason game where he went 60% on the draw taking 12 faceoffs and had 4 primary assists in a 5-4 win. Even if the wings miss out on Lafreniere they might get a center in the mold of Byfield, Perfetti or Lundell which would make Larkin more likely to be the Krejci in that situation.

Even if the Wings are drafting first, are any of the centers close enough to make passing on Lafreniere possible? I'm not a huge prospect person, so I know I don't have the best place to make a judgement from,but I think Byfield might be there for me.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Even if the Wings are drafting first, are any of the centers close enough to make passing on Lafreniere possible? I'm not a huge prospect person, so I know I don't have the best place to make a judgement from,but I think Byfield might be there for me.

The big wig prospect analysts aren't going there yet, but I'm seeing more of it from fans.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

If Byfield blows up this year, I could see a Taylor v Tyler situation developing.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I really, really doubt it. Lafreniere has been too dominant for too long to be passed by anyone barring a crazy season. Byfield maybe has an outside chance because of the size, speed, skill combination he has at center but like I said I really doubt it. Lafreniere is the best winger prospect since Ovechkin, and is miles ahead of his peers at this time. If Lafreniere played the Hlinka like Perfetti and Byfield did he would've walked circles around those teams

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Well, yeah. I don't think anyone here thinks a top pairing of Dekeyser and Mike Green is enough to win the cup. Obviously we need some major defensively prospects to hit.

Reactions: Sentinel

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I really, really doubt it. Lafreniere has been too dominant for too long to be passed by anyone barring a crazy season. Byfield maybe has an outside chance because of the size, speed, skill combination he has at center but like I said I really doubt it. Lafreniere is the best winger prospect since Ovechkin, and is miles ahead of his peers at this time. If Lafreniere played the Hlinka like Perfetti and Byfield did he would've walked circles around those teams

Also need to consider that Byfield just turned 17 and is already physically superior to a lot of his peers. He only put up 61 in 64 in the OHL last year which doesn’t come close to Lafreniere’s 105 in 61. Based on that performance and his physical attributes alone, people have placed a massive ceiling on Byfield and he has kind of emerged as what appears to be the clear #2.

If he has a season where he’s putting up close to 100 points and that ceiling starts to become more of an attainable potential, I could easily see him being the preferred pick of some teams in need of a legitimate center.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Also need to consider that Byfield just turned 17 and is already physically superior to a lot of his peers. He only put up 61 in 64 in the OHL last year which doesn’t come close to Lafreniere’s 105 in 61. Based on that performance and his physical attributes alone, people have placed a massive ceiling on Byfield and he has kind of emerged as what appears to be the clear #2.

If he has a season where he’s putting up close to 100 points and that ceiling starts to become more of an attainable potential, I could easily see him being the preferred pick of some teams in need of a legitimate center.

When a guy is as touted as Lafreniere is for so long, has a long international history of being dominant and has a CHL player of the year before its even his draft year (amongst other accomplishments), theyre very hard to pass as the number one pick. Byfields size and skill have people saying he could challenge but I find it highly unlikely in the end. 100 point Byfield could happen but he probably does so in a lot of games because he probably wont play world juniors. Lafreniere will probably end up around 120 points with the world juniors thrown in.

I know people hope for some draft day drama and Byfield might be able to challenge him but the mountain he has to climb is ridiculous. Youre talking a draft-1 seaso CHL player of the year vs a guy who isnt even a point per game in junior right now

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
When a guy is as touted as Lafreniere is for so long, has a long international history of being dominant and has a CHL player of the year before its even his draft year (amongst other accomplishments), theyre very hard to pass as the number one pick. Byfields size and skill have people saying he could challenge but I find it highly unlikely in the end. 100 point Byfield could happen but he probably does so in a lot of games because he probably wont play world juniors. Lafreniere will probably end up around 120 points with the world juniors thrown in.

I know people hope for some draft day drama and Byfield might be able to challenge him but the mountain he has to climb is ridiculous. Youre talking a draft-1 seaso CHL player of the year vs a guy who isnt even a point per game in junior right now

And they are almost a full year apart in age. Remember, last year was Byfield's first year in the OHL and played the entire year at the age of 16; last year was Lafreniere's second year in the QMJHL and played nearly the entire season at the age of 17.

Normally I hate the age or service time debate, but when they are synchronized as they are in this case, I think it is a legitimate talking point.

Age 16 seasons:
Lafreniere, LW, QMJHL, 60gp 42g/38a/80p = 1.333 P/GP
Byfield, C, OHL, 64gp 29g/32a/61p = 0.953 P/GP

Considering the positional premium of Byfield, I think you are talking about Lafreniere being ahead, but it's not nearly as great as some people would suggest. If Byfield has a season that's in the same breath as Lafreniere's in 2018-19, I have no problem making this a 1A/1B assessment. But, the impetus is obviously Byfield's play; if he doesn't blow up, I think we maintain a pretty clear draft day favorite in Lafreniere.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Wouldn’t say he is the clear #2 yet. That’s mostly a HF narrative. Hockeyprospect.com has Raymond #2. Button has Raymond #2, and Byfield #6. Wheeler has Raymond #2. Pronman has the Swedes 2/3 in his last ranking and Byfield #4.

We will have to see what Bob’s pre-season list reveals, but so far this opinion is something that is reflected on this site but not actually by the public scouting services.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wouldn’t say he is the clear #2 yet. That’s mostly a HF narrative. Hockeyprospect.com has Raymond #2. Button has Raymond #2, and Byfield #6. Wheeler has Raymond #2. Pronman has the Swedes 2/3 in his last ranking and Byfield #4.

We will have to see what Bob’s pre-season list reveals, but so far this opinion is something that is reflected on this site but not actually by the public scouting services.

Think it is mostly my fault in terms of our board and my Byfield love.:laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Think it is mostly my fault in terms of our board and my Byfield love.:laugh:

I think he ends up top 2, and I would personally rank him there now, but I haven’t seen it be the consensus beyond this website as of yet.

That said, there’s a reason the Swedes won the U18’s. This is going to be a strong draft for them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great thanks to Jim Nill for drafting Julius Honka #13 overall at 2014 draft. Guy is returning to Finland after years of struggling.

I think he regrets badly of passing Larkin... :D

I'm really wondering this. How can you miss Larkin, when everybody knew him from Michigan hockey, especially Nill from former Red Wings management.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Great thanks to Jim Nill for drafting Julius Honka #13 overall at 2014 draft. Guy is returning to Finland after years of struggling.

I think he regrets badly of passing Larkin... :D

I'm really wondering this. How can you miss Larkin, when everybody knew him from Michigan hockey, especially Nill from former Red Wings management.
Players are drafted before they hit college. Larkin was draft from USHL, and the US U18 team is harder to evaluate and play fewer games.

Meanwhile the Canadian kids are playing 68+ games, and get more scouting attention.

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad