Anaheim defeats Calgary 4 games to 1

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I want to share a few thoughts.

First I want to thank the Ducks fans that posted quite a bit on the main board here that were fair, respectful and pretty fun to chat with.

Second, the Ducks are a far superior team. I can't help but wonder "what if", but it is what it is and the better team advanced.

Third, I am so very very proud of the Flames. I have been a Flames fan since the mid-late 80s and this is the most fun I've ever had in a season (89 would have been better if I would have been old enough to understand the magnitude of it).

Lastly, Ducks fans? Let's hope for a rematch next year in round 2.

Ducks Dynasty

May 11, 2015
Entertaining series, even though I only watched the first 3 games (and attended the second one live).

The Flames have been a very interesting team this season and pretty awesome for them (and the Jets) to make the playoffs and end their drought. :handclap:

Both teams have a good things to look forward to in the future.

Ducks Dynasty

May 11, 2015
Great series Ducks fans. And nice posts in here. The only bitter posts seem to be from Canucks/Oilers fans.

Vancouver/Calgary definitely has the makings for a great rivalry, should they meet up again in the post-season next year :nod::D

Which is what the NHL was banking on with the new divisional playoff format I guess...

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
With a little more beef in the Flames line-up I feel this could've been a lot closer of a series. That being said, I understand why everyone calls him "Godreau" now...

0V3CHKiN

Mar 2, 2007
Flames defied the odds and beat out the likes of the Kings and Sharks for a playoff spot. They made more noise beating Vancouver. The young guns stepped up. I loved watching Johnny Hockey. Him and Monahan will be a good duo for years to come. The team did not fall apart after losing one of the best defenseman this year. Goaltending was good in retrospect.

I don't know if fans were still considering this a "rebuild year", but from the looks of it I would say you are much further ahead than normal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

First I want to thank the Ducks fans that posted quite a bit on the main board here that were fair, respectful and pretty fun to chat with.

Second, the Ducks are a far superior team. I can't help but wonder "what if", but it is what it is and the better team advanced.

Third, I am so very very proud of the Flames. I have been a Flames fan since the mid-late 80s and this is the most fun I've ever had in a season (89 would have been better if I would have been old enough to understand the magnitude of it).

I wouldn't mind that at all. That was fun.

And you guys absolutely should proud. With such a young roster you guys looked pretty damn good for stretches of the series. Ramo looked like a gem in net and really frustrated the hell out of the team and the fans. I think this core group can really improve a lot. Bennett was my favorite player from his draft year for a reason and while he didn't have quite the impact I think he wanted to, his toolbox is clear and it's obvious that he can hang with the big boys.

And Johnny Hockey...I can't say I've gained any more appreciation for that nickname but I am completely sold on the player he is now and will become. His creativity with the puck and elusiveness is top notch. There were times our defense kept him from advancing and he just kinda controlled the puck in place but I think he'll get to the point where that won't be an issue anymore. I mean he had his moments where he made guys look foolish.

Aceonfire*

I wouldn't mind that at all. That was fun.

And you guys absolutely should proud. With such a young roster you guys looked pretty damn good for stretches of the series. Ramo looked like a gem in net and really frustrated the hell out of the team and the fans. I think this core group can really improve a lot. Bennett was my favorite player from his draft year for a reason and while he didn't have quite the impact I think he wanted to, his toolbox is clear and it's obvious that he can hang with the big boys.

And Johnny Hockey...I can't say I've gained any more appreciation for that nickname but I am completely sold on the player he is now and will become. His creativity with the puck and elusiveness is top notch. There were times our defense kept him from advancing and he just kinda controlled the puck in place but I think he'll get to the point where that won't be an issue anymore. I mean he had his moments where he made guys look foolish.

Playoff series are supposed to create bitter rivalries. Not BFFs. :laugh: This thread is weird.

hail2ducks

Dec 10, 2009
I dunno why but Johnny hockey reminds me of Patrick Kane, give him 1 or 2 more years and i think he will have the same impact like #88

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Playoff series are supposed to create bitter rivalries. Not BFFs. :laugh: This thread is weird.

There was plenty of that while the series was ongoing. I know I lost my cool at one point and lashed out at a few Flames fans. But of the teams I'd support if the Ducks were eliminated or missed the playoffs, Calgary is among like 5 teams in the West I'd go with.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Can't really complain. For the most part, I thought both sides were fairly respectful towards each other, and as far as playoff series go there wasn't a ton of controversy, and what controversy there was just didn't end up mattering in the results.

Plus, and this is by no means a knock against Calgary, but the two teams are clearly in different stages. Calgary was looking to turn things around, while Anaheim was looking for a deep playoff run and, hopefully, more. Obviously, if you're a Calgary fan, you want to win, but I don't think there is any reason for them to be upset to lose the way they did. Not only did they make the playoffs, but they made it to the 2nd round, and they lost to a pretty good team.

That's just my impression, at any rate.

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
There was plenty of that while the series was ongoing. I know I lost my cool at one point and lashed out at a few Flames fans. But of the teams I'd support if the Ducks were eliminated or missed the playoffs, Calgary is among like 5 teams in the West I'd go with.
Absolutely. Perhaps not for the same reasons (I am a huge Hartley fan and a fan of the way he turned that group into a legitimate threat) but they are a hard team not to like. Feel good story.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

I have no interest in a Flames rematch. With Giordano and improvement from the young kids they're going to build a heck of a scary team.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
But of the teams I'd support if the Ducks were eliminated or missed the playoffs, Calgary is among like 5 teams in the West I'd go with.

I've always liked the Flames as well, since the Fleury days, and my first mentor was a Calgary fan. To the point where I actually considered getting a Flames-Oilers Super Chexx. But then I realized I'd have to use the Oilers part of the time, so I said screw that and found a Molson edition instead.

May 23, 2012

You should be incredibly proud of your team, they were tough and played hard and well, you can't ask for any more than that. Lots to look forward to next season for you guys. Congrats on the nice run this year.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Might as well just tank from a Vancouver stand point this year.
Glad the flames exposed us before we got a chance to be destroyed by the ducks.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have no interest in a Flames rematch. With Giordano and improvement from the young kids they're going to build a heck of a scary team.
So you'll just concede next year? :naughty: I think the Ducks win the Pacific again next year and the Flames finish 2/3 again. So if we both plan on advancing past the first round it will happen. Which is what I love about this playoff format. It is going to build some great rivalries.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Might as well just tank from a Vancouver stand point this year.
Glad the flames exposed us before we got a chance to be destroyed by the ducks.
I think the Canucks have started rebuilding but are trying to do it the right way. Two first rounders in 2013 will really help, Horvat is already looking fantastic. I think Lack and Markstrom have the talent to be a formidable duo down the road. I hate Baertschi but he has a ton of talent, if he can discover he needs a consistent effort he will be a good one. Draft well this year and I think you are in a very good place. And that is before you start "dismantling".

If you aren't in the playoff picture next year (or maybe even of you are) Vrbata, Hamhuis and Bieksa are all pending UFAs that could be moved for assets to help accelerate the process.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Can't really complain. For the most part, I thought both sides were fairly respectful towards each other, and as far as playoff series go there wasn't a ton of controversy, and what controversy there was just didn't end up mattering in the results.

Tell that to Karri Ramo. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Tell that to Karri Ramo. :laugh:

I don't think too many Flames fans are putting up a fight on that one. I've seen a few who are ardent that it should've been waved off (and even some neutrals) but for my part and for several others, it didn't look like any kind of blatant interference that was directly Perry's fault. And either way, it came after a few minutes of one team playing and the other watching, and there was only one way that was going to go anyway.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
I don't think too many Flames fans are putting up a fight on that one. I've seen a few who are ardent that it should've been waved off (and even some neutrals) but for my part and for several others, it didn't look like any kind of blatant interference that was directly Perry's fault. And either way, it came after a few minutes of one team playing and the other watching, and there was only one way that was going to go anyway.

I actually thought Ramo was upset because he thought he had the puck covered up and Perry knocked it loose. Either way I didn't see anything that should have overturned the goal.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Should be interesting to hear whether Monahan and Hudler were hurt and the extent of their injuries.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Should be interesting to hear whether Monahan and Hudler were hurt and the extent of their injuries.

From the post season press conference Hudler had shoulder and back issues, Monahan had groin and back injuries, Brodie had a ankle injury going back to the Brier road trip. Ferland had a torn oblique muscle, Bouma had screws and plates put into his finger. Paul Byron had multiple injures (we could have used his speed on the forecheck).

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Should be interesting to see how the Flames deal with their 'three goaltenders' situation this summer.

You have to get rid of one of them, right? Ortio has a one way contract so it would be odd to bury him in the minors next season.

If I were Calgary, I'd trade Hiller and go with Ramo-Ortio next season. Ramo's a beast!!

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
Should be interesting to see how the Flames deal with their 'three goaltenders' situation this summer.

You have to get rid of one of them, right? Ortio has a one way contract so it would be odd to bury him in the minors next season.

If I were Calgary, I'd trade Hiller and go with Ramo-Ortio next season. Ramo's a beast!!
In Ramo's exit interview he hinted pretty strongly that he is going to test the market.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

That would be the preferred way to go for a lot of us. But that requires that Ramo decided to sign with us, and that we can find a suitable trade for Hiller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->