Anaheim defeats Calgary 4 games to 1

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What???

Props to Calgary for a never say die mentality, but no way did they put up a better fight than Winnipeg IMO. The Winnipeg series was much more difficult.

Well, not only were the Ducks a better team, they were also a bad match up for Calgary. The Ducks size up front was too much for the Gio-less Flames to handle. There are matchups that the Flames would have beat the Jets at, but not the Ducks.

bminucci

Nov 7, 2010
Santa Ana, CA
Tougher series than the 4-1 standings would suggest. The last couple of years I was more excited about how good the Ducks would be the next year and just happy to see how far they had come. Every year they have proven to go further and look better. Losing last year to the Kings of all teams sucked a lot but looking back from where this team is now it just looks like a stepping stone. Next year at this time, this series will only be seen as a stepping stone for Calgary as well. Good luck next year.

RonMacLean

Dec 8, 2013
I suggest you watch a replay of the game winner. Then come back and try to honestly type that Perry cross checked Ramo. If you can do that there is no helping you.

I have gamecenter, was cheering for Anaheim and though Perry got nudged he over sold it and shoved Ramo back. From my biased view (which isn't extremely biased but I am rooting against Cakgary) it should have been two mins for Perry with at least the goal waived off. If the goalie can't be afforded tk make the save due to contact it should be waived off.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Obviously I'm a Flames fan, and I can tell you I'm not Corey Perry fan (at least not of his personality).

1. The Ducks were easily the superior team. I'm glad Calgary at least won a game and hung with them for a couple others.

2. I like that this series showed the young Flames and their GM what the bar is going to be going forward.

3. The Stajan/Perry hit was neither an intentional cheapshot nor a dive. Perry didn't think it was intentional and Stajan didn't think it was a dive, so there's that.

4. I can see why Ramo was unhappy about the OT goal, but he didn't see Wideman's cross-check of Perry. And I think Ramo thought he had control of the puck longer than he actually did. Anyway, the Ducks were going to score (should've scored the play before but for Schlemko getting a piece of the puck).

5. While, as I said, the Ducks were the better team, a couple bounces in the last two games could make a difference. Stajan just missed seconds before the 3rd ended and Jones had turned the wrong way or he had a tap in.

6. If I was to start a team, Getzlaf would be in the running for #1 centre. And what a surprise Belesky was to me.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I liked the Duck fans during this round :) You guys are awesome.

Consider me a Duck fan band wagoner this round. :)

I still hate Kesler though.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
Enoch Root @CP said:
Fun fact:

Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler were born in 85, 85 and 84 respectively.

Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett will be the same average age as those 3 are now in the 2024/25 playoffs.

Found that to be an interesting tidbit. Was a fun run for Calgary fans. Lots to look forward to in the future.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Found that to be an interesting tidbit. Was a fun run for Calgary fans. Lots to look forward to in the future.

True, but Getzlaf and Perry already won a Stanley Cup, too, when they were only a few years older than our boys are now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Obviously I'm a Flames fan, and I can tell you I'm not Corey Perry fan (at least not of his personality).

1. The Ducks were easily the superior team. I'm glad Calgary at least won a game and hung with them for a couple others.

2. I like that this series showed the young Flames and their GM what the bar is going to be going forward.

3. The Stajan/Perry hit was neither an intentional cheapshot nor a dive. Perry didn't think it was intentional and Stajan didn't think it was a dive, so there's that.

4. I can see why Ramo was unhappy about the OT goal, but he didn't see Wideman's cross-check of Perry. And I think Ramo thought he had control of the puck longer than he actually did. Anyway, the Ducks were going to score (should've scored the play before but for Schlemko getting a piece of the puck).

5. While, as I said, the Ducks were the better team, a couple bounces in the last two games could make a difference. Stajan just missed seconds before the 3rd ended and Jones had turned the wrong way or he had a tap in.

6. If I was to start a team, Getzlaf would be in the running for #1 centre. And what a surprise Belesky was to me.

I agree but you did get a pretty clear bounce...actually two on Gaudreau's goal. Puck took an unfortunate bounce off Getzlaf's skate, then it glanced of a Duck's stick and changed direction and in. That's how I saw it. But it's in the past. Good luck next year.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
At the end of the day, we can all agree that the Ducks are an awesome team at the height of their build.

Against Winnipeg when they decided to flex their muscles and win they did. They did the same thing against Calgary. The Flames came out in the first period and played well, but Anaheim flexed their muscles in the second and third and took the game away from the Flames.

It wasn't the refs, it wasn't that the Flames are a terrible or bad team, its just that Anaheim is a top 3 team in the NHL and a certified Stanley Cup favorite.

For the Flames their lack of experience and depth did them in.

On the experience side you could see it and it was clear, the Ducks just made less mistakes then the Flames, and when the Flames made a mistake Anaheim as good teams do made them pay.

As far as the depth, Wills mentioned that when he talked to Brodie last night after the game Brodie stated that the defense was dog tired, they had played a ton of minutes and the Ducks were physical and not having a third pairing that was trusted meant that the Top 4 played a lot more minutes then they should.

Up front I don't doubt that Hudler was injured in the LA game and he's never been the same since. I think Monahan was injured based on how he was handled in the first part of the Kings series, but he also had an experience gap.

Gaudreau was great, but made young player mistakes, most of the young guys did.

But I'm proud of the Flames, they didn't wilt and in the last two periods of game two and in game three and game four played well against a excellent Ducks team.

The Flames management needs to add to their blueline depth next year, Wotherspoon will help, he did some good things with limited ice time, and I hope Seiloff gets on tract because that infection killed his progress. But the Flames need to add some size to the back end and some overall depth.

Up front they have Bouma and they have Ferland but they need more size there too.

Bennett, Gaudreau, Monahan Hudler and Backlund are nice pieces of a top 6 but they need one more top 6 winger.

Gonna be a long off season now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Good on Corey Perry for coming back from that soccer-esque performance to score the OT winner

He missed some time earlier in the season due to a knee injury, and the hit did look pretty bad the way his knee went and what, he also didnt seem to be skating as good(which isnt very good) as he normally is. If youve ever been hit awkwardly in the knee its a very scary feeling. Id say he maybe went over dramatic on it, but those kind of things could end your season/career. Also not saying it was intentional or dirty on stajan but could have been a really unfortunate incident.

Anyway good series flames!

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
ANA with the well-earned series win. The best 2 teams will meet in the west, which should be fun to watch.

CGY with a tremendous season in their own right. Couldn't really ask for much more from a team you cheer for given their expectations and experience. Lost Giordano, sold at the TDL, leaned heavily on young players. It was quite the ride, but there's more work to do.

Diggy

Oct 16, 2007
Orange County
Was a great series with Calgary! I look forward to many more fun series in the future as Calgary looks to be a fantastic team in the next couple years.

Ramo is a stud! Best goalie performance in the playoffs so far, IMO.

Hope a few days off is all Perry needs and that he knee is not more injured. That collision looked bad.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
You could just tell Brodie Wideman and Russell weren't the same beasts by the end of the series. We missed Gio a ton but we also need more depth; Ducks could roll any pairing out evenly and that would have been huge for us especially taking the punishment by size and speed

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
The respect shown by the Ducks and the Flames in post-game interviews is a great thing to see.

Getzlaf is the most dominant centre in the NHL right now.

Good luck to the Ducks in the next round!

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Classiest fans I have ever had the pleasure of associating with.

Guys have a lot to look forward to...this is only the end of the beginning. :)

I honestly had written off Calgary after Gio went down...nothing but respect for these Flames. Scrappy bunch.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Was a great series with Calgary! I look forward to many more fun series in the future as Calgary looks to be a fantastic team in the next couple years.

Ramo is a stud! Best goalie performance in the playoffs so far, IMO.

Hope a few days off is all Perry needs and that he knee is not more injured. That collision looked bad.

Ramo was a beast, but Price and Holtby have both been better IMO.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Props to the Ducks.

Great year by the Flames.

Hartley should win the Jacks Adams.

Use your vintage jerseys please, the one that got you the Cup.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Flames have a great team. I love watching the guy who "well, he can't do that against NHL players" and other stupid ******** that gets spewed around in HF. Bennett is also going to be the real thing.

Also like the Flames fans here. Probably the only team I actually like in the Pacific.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Props to the Ducks.

Great year by the Flames.

Hartley should win the Jacks Adams.

Use your vintage jerseys please, the one that got you the Cup.

I would love to bring back the retros as our primary jersey and the black 'C' jerseys as our alternates.

Ticonderoga

For the Watch
Jul 17, 2007
New Westminster
The Ducks are an amazing team and fully deserve all the credit for their impressive postseason run so far.

Good luck against the hawks and hopefully you can beat the in 5 as well.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Salute to Calgary fans and your teaml, you have an amazing team and future looks even brighter. After last night, I don't think anyone will ever say you are not an extremely resilient / tough team to crack. Game 1 was an abberation but the last 4 we're very very intense.

Good luck next season.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Great season and playoff run Calgary. Players and fans should keep their heads up. There is a strong future ahead.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't even know what Calgary can change to counter the Ducks first line. How they can be so big and so skilled is crazy. Gio would obviously help but we need a big stay at home guy to get guys like that out of the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->