GDT: Anaheim @ Arizona 6pm Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah loving Jones. But he has to show he can be consistent. I think it was before that he could also get careless over long stretches.
Jones is starting to look like he should be saved from the expansion draft. With Henrique and Silf being exposed they could save 2 more forwards such as Jones and Milano.
Ducks are gonna need to be getting production from young players on cheap contracts if they plan on getting good again.
Protecting Henrique and Silf in the expansion draft is bad for the long term future of the franchise. Anyways i doubt Seattle even touches that Silf or Henrique contract.
I'd rather keep Mahura over Manson at this point. His next contract will be cheap and already is better offensively than Shattycrap.

Reactions: Deuce22 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We should do avatar theme of this!

"You like punishment? Watch a Ducks game."
"Want to see something kinky? Watch Coyotes come from behind, twice!"
"Shattenkirk can suck all night long"
I would be all for this. It is exactly how I felt after the game. Suffering. Can't wait to see the next game. Eh, go figure...

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Jones is starting to look like he should be saved from the expansion draft. With Henrique and Silf being exposed they could save 2 more forwards such as Jones and Milano.
Ducks are gonna need to be getting production from young players on cheap contracts if they plan on getting good again.
Protecting Henrique and Silf in the expansion draft is bad for the long term future of the franchise. Anyways i doubt Seattle even touches that Silf or Henrique contract.
I'd rather keep Mahura over Manson at this point. His next contract will be cheap and already is better offensively than Shattycrap.
I know Silf is struggling this year but it's overblown a bit and there's no universe where you'd let him go for free just to keep Milano. Milano might not even be an NHLer.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm fully on the new GM boat. I want Eakins to succeed so i'm not ready to let him go yet.

You would think the last 5 games sends a message, but the last two requires action. But I’m not holding my breath. Honestly it’s getting tiresome staying up past 12am or 1am for some of these games when the results continue to be disappointing.

I am still going to watch but am not looking at standings anymore, thats over with, imo. Now it’s about the individual performances and the kids needing to step up like Comtois. Still pissed they took Zegras point away, looked at the goal 10 times, he makes that play happen, yet no assist. Sometimes points are overrated in this league and don’t always tell the overall tale of a players performance . Ryan Strome is a perfect example, lol.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm glad they are scoring more at least, they just don't really know how to close out a lead, probably because we don't generally have one. Gotten some pretty mediocre goaltending over the last couple weeks as well.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I'm glad they are scoring more at least, they just don't really know how to close out a lead, probably because we don't generally have one. Gotten some pretty mediocre goaltending over the last couple weeks as well.

To your point, I posted this in the roster discussion thread but I'll leave it here as well: The team save percentage has sunk to .905

Reactions: Static

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Feel bad for Eakins honestly. The vast majority of blame for where our team is today goes to Bob, yet Eakins inevitably gets his share of criticism. And if Bob goes and a new GM is brought in, he probably cleans house on the coaching staff to bring in his guys instead.

This is Eakins' big chance at redemption at the NHL level, yet he finds himself in a lose-lose situation.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I am left wondering exactly what level of hockey people are expecting from the team that finished with the 5th worst record in the league last year.
This is a fair point for certain
For me I expected
Improvement from last year (questionable)
The “kids” to show more
Comtois has. I think Terry has . Steel I’m not so sure
I expected our D to be a strength and we really aren’t very good. Shattenkirk is honestly a comedy

and as a professional team I expect to see improvements in fundamental things and this team never seems to do this. Passing, receiving passes, god forbid a decent one timer, solid positioning. Just seems like everyone plateaued and is not improving skill sets

When Gibson came in to the Ducks his athleticism carried him. he improved his fundamentals and his training obviously has helped prevent the injuries. Why does it seem he’s an outlier In improving and reaching potential?

and I do recognize some are. But overall I just don’t see individuals improving. And I’m not seeing Eakins making adjustments That excite you either

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The way they start playing like grinders and just start flipping pucks out of their own zone into the neutral zone once they get a 3-0 lead jives directly with their coaches mentality of benching Zegras and putting grinders like Grant out there to “protect the lead”.

It accomplishes the opposite of what he thinks it does. It craters possession and gives guys like Garland, Keller, and Kessel more time with the puck on their sticks which means more chances to score.

Eakins is not the main problem with this team. But I’ve soured on him for this. One of the reasons I was excited about hiring him was because I was expecting him to be a more new school creative coach that bucks old trends and plays offensive players no matter the situation . He appears to be cut from the same tree as usual though

It’s no surprise at all they’ve blown leads the past 2 nights. When you stop trying to score and get 8 shots on goal the last 30 minutes of a game you are bound to be fishing pucks out of your net unless your goalie plays incredible(which ours haven’t been)

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
The team has not got better at any time during Eakins his coaching. Power play is as bad as it was last year, if not worse. Many say Ducks is bad, but I don't think we should be this bad with the material we got. Maybe not play off material, but not a bottom feeder team soon struggling to stay ahead of Ottawa and Detroit. Eakins also seem unable to change the game in any way, when they collapse nothing happens to change it. And as said in the other thread, we are 0-10-4 if the other team scores more than one goal. That is hilariously bad. Speculation: - 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The way they start playing like grinders and just start flipping pucks out of their own zone into the neutral zone once they get a 3-0 lead jives directly with their coaches mentality of benching Zegras and putting grinders like Grant out there to “protect the lead”.

It accomplishes the opposite of what he thinks it does. It craters possession and gives guys like Garland, Keller, and Kessel more time with the puck on their sticks which means more chances to score.

Eakins is not the main problem with this team. But I’ve soured on him for this. One of the reasons I was excited about hiring him was because I was expecting him to be a more new school creative coach that bucks old trends and plays offensive players no matter the situation . He appears to be cut from the same tree as usual though

It’s no surprise at all they’ve blown leads the past 2 nights. When you stop trying to score and get 8 shots on goal the last 30 minutes of a game you are bound to be fishing pucks out of your net unless your goalie plays incredible(which ours haven’t been)
The problem is that Eakins is not telling them to do that. Between the second and third periods he told the team that the best way to protect the lead is to stay aggressive and score another goal. It's the players that are tightening up.

I have issues with how Eakins has deployed some of the vets (shattenkirk) and weird specific situational personnel decisions (EN, OT), but I think the problem is much more execution than message.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The problem is that Eakins is not telling them to do that. Between the second and third periods he told the team that the best way to protect the lead is to stay aggressive and score another goal. It's the players that are tightening up.

I have issues with how Eakins has deployed some of the vets (shattenkirk) and weird specific situational personnel decisions (EN, OT), but I think the problem is much more execution than message.
Then why is his deployment of personnel completely different than his message?

It seems contradictory to say what he said and then overplay all your “defensive forwards”

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Its likely a fine line between being aggressive and not taking risks. Teams seems to be stuck on don't take risks.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Then why is his deployment of personnel completely different than his message?

It seems contradictory to say what he said and then overplay all your “defensive forwards”
The only player that I would describe as "defensive" is grant. Who else? Silfverberg? In the third they ran the same lines out there, with grant in for zegras a couple times. I find it beyond incredulous we can't play offensively because grant subbed in for zegras a hand full of times.

The OT stuff is a different animal, with eakins coaching like he has PTSD.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The only player that I would describe as "defensive" is grant. Who else? Silfverberg? In the third they ran the same lines out there, with grant in for zegras a couple times. I find it beyond incredulous we can't play offensively because grant subbed in for zegras a hand full of times.

He also strangely swapped Milano for Deslauriers at one point, too. That made even less sense than Grant for Zegras.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

On Monday he also reduced Terry’s ice time in the 3rd. He had f***ing Deslauriers out there for Christ sake. Why is it that the skilled creative players always get put on the bench? Why is it that Steel gets fed minutes in the 3rd and OT(I like the kid but he cannot make a skilled play to save his life these days)?

I understand we don’t have a lot of offensive weapons, totally get that. But that’s also kind of the point. You cannot bench the few potential weapons you do have.

Like I’ve said, Eakins is not the main problem here but he’s not doing great with what he has to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->