Confirmed with Link: [ANA/WSH] Ducks acquire Mathieu Perreault for 4th & John Mitchell

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I realize Perrault is far more talented, but I think Konopka is a better fit as a 4C/spare forward. Can help in the face-off department as you mentioned, and adds some grit. I'm worried that this lineup doesn't have enough push-back.

But Konopka really doesn't help in any way. He wins the faceoffs, but he's still on the ice, which means we won't have the puck for too long, and he'll then be a liability in defending against it. And even if we had Konopka, we still wouldn't have the other two pieces for a line that would make a good fit for him; with the guys we have, we'd putting an anchor on them by putting Konopka between them. And he isn't really adding grit or helping in terms of pushing back. He's too slow to really hit people a lot (not even a hit per game over the last two seasons for him), and the only guys fighting him are other heavyweights in staged fights. He really doesn't bring anything.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Can't say I know anything about Perreault. Seems to have really good numbers for what we gave up. But it gets back to the too many bodies at forward thing.

He does seem like a good piece if they were to try to make the 4th line a scoring line.
I don't watch much of the Caps, so I'm in the same boat. Can someone give me a scouting report?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Small, skilled, and persistent.

He annoys the hell out of the opposition with his persistence, maybe on another team he'll actually get calls, he gets crosschecked and thrown down on the ice so much without any of sort of calls.

KdLDdHT.gif

baHmY6E.gif

Rd6ZwS5.gif

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA

He annoys the hell out of the opposition with his persistence, maybe on another team he'll actually get calls, he gets crosschecked and thrown down on the ice so much without any of sort of calls.

Persisting and wheels makes cogs a standout in the 3rd period, when this team can really slow down big time. Id take a 2nd cogs that plays center.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA

KdLDdHT.gif

baHmY6E.gif

Rd6ZwS5.gif

Dude seems like a little firecracker. Awesome.

I like this as it creates some competition for Bonino and more so for Holland, and it ensures Rakell sees another year in the A, which I feel he needs.

bootsgaudet

Oct 15, 2012
Really feel like BM will do another deal...

Id be fine with Dealing Holland + One of our dmen for an upgrade.

Feel like he will kick the tires on somthing else.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The team is defenitely not getting bigger, but value wise it's a good trade. Perreault could have some untapped potential as a playmaker. I think he'll get a good look on the 2nd line and on the 2nd PP unit.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
No, I wouldn't agree with that.

And I think you're exaggerating the problem. Once our blue line gets some games under their belt, and solidifies, I think you'll see a faster team. That's where speed starts.

Blue line is true but as we have seen this pre-season when you dump and cannot chase your whole team is stuck playing defense way to long. Dump and Chase turns into Dump and Change.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Is this for the 2C or 4C role? As far as offensive abilities go he's comparable to Bonino but Bonino is far ahead defensively. He's one of those guys who is not suited to a bottom 6 role but may not have enough talent to overcome his lack of size to play in the top 6.

He's a good hockey player but I'm not a huge fan of the move as I don't feel he fits a real need unless we're planning on demoting Bonino. He's good on the dot though which is always a good thing.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
caps fan here:

tenacious and creates well down low.
knocked over easily but is always straight back up although it can sometimes mean hes a step behind the play coming back out of the zone.
should be played with strong 2 way wingers.
has 45-55 point potential if given a good shot and can continue to improve his leg strength.
works hard every shift and should draw penalties with his tenacity.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Blue Line whatever but as we have seen this pre-season when you dump and cannot chase your whole team is stuck playing defense way to long. Dump and Chase turns into Dump and Change.

Well, that's not as much a speed problem as it's a decision-making problem for the players, which is nothing out of the ordinary at this point of the season. After all, Boudreau isn't a particularly insisting on playing dump and chase coach. If the situation isn't there to dump and get to it, it's just like any other bad pass. It's up to the players to utilize that type of play in the right situations and execute it well when they do. But I don't see Boudreau asking them to force those plays when they aren't there and it's not fitting their game.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Blue line is true but as we have seen this pre-season when you dump and cannot chase your whole team is stuck playing defense way to long. Dump and Chase turns into Dump and Change.

The preseason games really don't say much to me, because it's always a bit of a cluster. Once the blue line starts breaking the puck out better, you'll see the forwards having more speed as they enter the zone. If the forwards are always waiting, then we've got a problem, and it isn't a problem that faster players will solve.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
The team is defenitely not getting bigger, but value wise it's a good trade. Perreault could have some untapped potential as a playmaker. I think he'll get a good look on the 2nd line and on the 2nd PP unit.

I have been watching Perreault through 3 years of Junior in Bathurst and throughout his Washington stay sporadically.

MP is not a 4th line centerman; he rather is a 2nd-3rd line centerman with a nice play vision, very decent NHL speed, good passer and hands of gold.....very good stickhandler and passer.
His main strength is his shiftiness to turn around, get to a puck and get the play moving by a slick pass.

Now he is not physical nor is he a big guy, but he does rebound like a rubber ball and is also pretty good at faceoffs.
The best term for him is "buzzing bee".

It would be put lightly to state that he never had a real chance at this level notwithstanding his numbers.

He was not a GMGM guy....but BB knows what he's got on hand, I hope.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Looooooove this deal! Everytime I catch a caps game I find myself impressed with this guy. He is all over the ice and really controls the puck well. He is more skilled than Bonino and much faster of course. Not that he is a better player. Just a better option for 2c IMO.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
An article [LINK] Caps fans provided in one of the other threads on this:

Since making the leap to the NHL, he's been a consistent performer (in aggregate), averaging between 0.40 to 0.47 points per game in parts of four seasons that have seen him in various roles and with generally limited (in terms of time and teammates) power-play opportunities. He's been among the team's most-productive even-strength forwards (in terms of scoring rate), and has put up impressive possession numbers on a team that hasn't always.

Mathieu Perreault does the little things (including being unafraid of going into high-traffic areas), and even when he's not contributing offensively, he's rarely hurting the team - over his last 31 games during the 2013 regular season, Perreault was only on the ice for eight even-strength goals-against.

In fact, over the past two seasons, Perreault has averaged more points per game than anyone in the League who has played 82 games and fewer than 1300 minutes (a crude way to get a look at production among smaller-minute players, but you get the point). Going back to his cap comparables list, in 2013, his 17 points in 39 games was second only to John Mitchell's 20 points in 47 games.
Amazing enough that he got traded for John Mitchell - even if it's a different one. :laugh:

Mathieu Perreault is entering the final season of the two-year deal he inked back in July of 2012, and he'll still be a restricted free agent next summer if he doesn't sign an extension before then. (...) But for now Perreault looks to be penciled in as a terrific third-line center, one who's making his teammates better, and one who's very likely to out-perform his current contract, possibly by a great deal...

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
According to Caps fans, this guy isn't exactly a speedster.

From what I've seen he's agile and shifty but his top line speed isn't anything to write home about. Above average but he's no Cogliano.

Well considering our coach was his old coach I think he knows more than some fans on this forum.

"Adding a young, quality center to the mix makes us that much deeper. I thought we needed some additional speed and scoring, and he is a feisty competitor."

That to me reads like a generic cliche quote from a manager who just acquired somebody.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I take it this means that Norfolk fans should be pretty happy, since this should keep Holland and Rakell down with them - in the short term, at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->