Proposal: (ANA/TOR) Minor Deal Welinski for Nielsen and Marchment

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
TOR adds to their depth at D
ANA adds to their forward depth

Nielsen is lost in the shuffle.
Marchment might be ready to make the jump, but TOR has little room for him in a scoring role.
Welinski adds depth on the right side that TOR desperately needs.

Make this happen.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Anaheim gets bend. Nielson is a legit prospect while Marchment will probably clear waivers for the rest of his life.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anaheim should maintain its NHL D depth...Larsson/Pettersson/Sustr, Schenn/Welinski is OK for #5-9 but it's not a surplus to be dealing from.

The Ducks also have a ton of AHL forwards already. If Nielsen is odd man out on the Leafs depth chart, I could see giving up an AHL forward to get him.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is based upon the rumour that Nielsen has been traded to Anaheim. Nielsen removed his home location of Toronto from his Instagram overnight, and simultaneously liked the Anaheim account... (Is there smoke where there is fire?)

So the question being, what has Nielsen been moved for?

Leafs needs, in order.... RHD - Like a Manson... (would be a much bigger trade, one that both fanbases would likely protest what was given up)
Depth C
Bigger, stronger wingers who can skate
Picks.

I'm not sure what Anaheim has that would be available in a minor type trade... or an expanded, but it does look like something is happening.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is based upon the rumour that Nielsen has been traded to Anaheim. Nielsen removed his home location of Toronto from his Instagram overnight, and simultaneously liked the Anaheim account... (Is there smoke where there is fire?)

Leafs needs, in order.... RHD - Like a Manson... (would be a much bigger trade, one that both fanbases would likely protest what was given up)
Depth C
Picks.

I'm not sure what Anaheim has that would be available in a minor type trade... or an expanded, but it does look like something is happening.

Your team might be moving it's 13th best Dman. Manson obviously isn't going anywhere, why even bring him up?

Reactions: sansabri and Morgs

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Depth C
Picks.

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Your team might be moving it's 13th best Dman. Manson obviously isn't going anywhere, why even bring him up?

I don't think the poster you responded to is suggesting a Manson for Nielsen type of trade. He's just listing what the Leafs need realizing that different kinds of assets from a quality perspective would be required depending on the piece returned from Anaheim.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ducks have lots of depth on D but with another ED coming they will lose another D like they did with Theodore (via trade). Protecting Fowler, lindholm, Manson, montour. Leaves a bunch of younger guys exposed like larsson, Pettersson, etc.

No need to deal the depth unless it makes a difference to the team.

Reactions: Tripod

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The problem is this typical narrowly focused thinking, that is prevalent on discussion boards. First, I posted what the Leafs needs are.... and the biggest need is a player like Manson. It should have been pretty clear from my post, that Nielsen wouldn't be the basis of such a trade, "would be a much bigger trade". and I acknowledged, that both fanbases probably wouldn't like it. Leafs would have to overpay, Leafs fans would be mad, Anaheim fans would be mad....

Chances are, it's a minor trade, if one at all. Anaheim has a great player in Manson, and clearly there isn't much motivation to move him. But, when listing Leafs needs, that is the main one.... whether it's part of this trade or, not... speculation at best.... probably not... but then, I was addressing Leafs needs..... not the probability of a deal.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't think the poster you responded to is suggesting a Manson for Nielsen type of trade. He's just listing what the Leafs need realizing that different kinds of assets from a quality perspective would be required depending on the piece returned from Anaheim.

I realize that I but it's still completely pointless to bring up in this context. It would be nice to discuss realistic scenarios and not have every thread spiral into a Josh Manson discussion.

Let's be realistic, Nielsen has next to no value and it's the middle of August. He's obviously not going to be dealt to address one of your major needs, so there's really no need to discuss players like Manson.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I realize that I but it's still completely pointless to bring up in this context. It would be nice to discuss realistic scenarios and not have every thread spiral into a Josh Manson discussion.

Let's be realistic, Nielsen has next to no value and it's the middle of August. He's obviously not going to be dealt to address one of your major needs, so there's really no need to discuss players like Manson.

I agree that Nielsen is not worth much.

I'm not disagreeing with what you've said generally, just pointing out that the poster wasn't really advocating a Manson for Nielsen swap or anything close to that.

I'm usually pretty realistic & real world (almost brutally so), so that tends to draw the ire from some of my fellow nation members who seem to prefer a more optimistic posting style & environment.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The problem is this typical narrowly focused thinking, that is prevalent on discussion boards. First, I posted what the Leafs needs are.... and the biggest need is a player like Manson. It should have been pretty clear from my post, that Nielsen wouldn't be the basis of such a trade, "would be a much bigger trade". and I acknowledged, that both fanbases probably wouldn't like it. Leafs would have to overpay, Leafs fans would be mad, Anaheim fans would be mad....

Chances are, it's a minor trade, if one at all. Anaheim has a great player in Manson, and clearly there isn't much motivation to move him. But, when listing Leafs needs, that is the main one.... whether it's part of this trade or, not... speculation at best.... probably not... but then, I was addressing Leafs needs..... not the probability of a deal.

I'd say there is a larger issue with finding actual realistic discussion between fanbases because folks have trouble avoiding ridiculous tangents.

I'm sorry but this thread involving a very minor mid summer rumor does not need to spiral into yet another Josh Manson discussion. Beating a dead horse there.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
TOR adds to their depth at D
ANA adds to their forward depth

Nielsen is lost in the shuffle.
Marchment might be ready to make the jump, but TOR has little room for him in a scoring role.
Welinski adds depth on the right side that TOR desperately needs.

Make this happen.
totally premature on Marchement, the guy was a beast down the stretch and through the Calder Cup playoffs, he's got an ingredient the Leafs really don't have and as an extra added bonus he has a knack for scoring timely goals

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
totally premature on Marchement, the guy was a beast down the stretch and through the Calder Cup playoffs, he's got an ingredient the Leafs really don't have and as an extra added bonus he has a knack for scoring timely goals

I wouldn't disagree. I just know that Nielsen alone would do this deal. I don't make proposals just because I want to punt a weak leaf player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You do realize Vatanen returned even less value than JVR right?
Id rather have Henrique over JvR.
The trade looks like

Henrique
Blandisi
Mclaughlin(solid 3rd round pick)
For

Vatanen + our 2019 3rd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad