Confirmed with Link: [ANA/TOR] Holland & Staubitz for Blacker, conditional 3rd/2nd & 7th

justheducks

Feb 10, 2009
OC, California
www.myspace.com
Not every AHL player is the same. Holland has top 6 upside. I would not trade that for scraps

Potential where?
We literally have 5 centers better then him and if we draft another center in the draft this year that number may increase.
He has had 2 straight years with an open roster spot for him and he blew it both times.
What else do you want?
The guy has no real value outside of a trade like this. Either a pick or another player that needs a change of scenery.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Potential where?
We literally have 5 centers better then him and if we draft another center in the draft this year that number may increase.
He has had 2 straight years with an open roster spot for him and he blew it both times.
What else do you want?
The guy has no real value outside of a trade like this. Either a pick or another player that needs a change of scenery.

Basically this.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
First of all I really liked Peter and Im a little bit upset he is gone now. All the players that passed Peter have one thing in common. They push hard and never quit. I really hope Holland explodes in Toronto but overall the Ducks seem to focus on players with a different attitude and I like this.

Blacker on the other hand, well, by reading the scouting reports:
Is an aggressive defenseman, both in terms of his physicality and offensive mindset. Also owns a projectable frame and a big point shot, which can be a weapon on the power play.

Jesse Blacker is one of the Maple Leafs' most interesting prospects. He's a great two-way defenceman that has a powerful and explosive stride. He gets up and down the ice with ease and is fantastic in creating off the rush. Has a very underrated slap shot and loves to throw his weight around.

I really like this and since Francois Beauchemin I will never judge a trade like this at the trading day! Blacker shoots right. Together with the pics I really like what we got.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Am I the only one glad we got rid of that piece of **** Staubitz ever since he 2 hand slashed Lindholm at training camp I wanted that **** off this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaDucks*

How come you guys didn't tell the leafs fans that Holland's game is similar to Jeff Carter's? Or are we not doing that anymore?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I said he would have been a +, something to sweeten the deal, not the main piece.

I know. But even then, in a trade for a major player going our way, teams are asking for minor pieces they really like. These "change of scenery" guys like Holland aren't the ones that sweeten any deal for a noteworthy player.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
The Ducks clear one net contract, which gives them much more flexibility in dealing with the 50 contract limit. They also get rid of Staubitz, who was on a one way contract and who was never going to see the NHL with the Ducks this year, so that saves them some money. They hopefully get a 2nd round pick, and at least a 3rd, for Holland, who appeared to have no real future in Anaheim, plus another 7th round pick for whatever that is worth. In return they get a marginal defenseman who will probably never make it out of the AHL, but whose contract expires at the end of this year if the Ducks want to get rid of him.

This also gives Holland a chance in a different organization, and it may work out well for him. That change of teams has worked for a number of players, so from a personal basis I hope that it works out for Holland.

In the end this is a reasonable deal for everyone.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
With two firsts and two seconds (probably), I do like our chances of moving up at the draft. At this point with so much depth we could use one elite prospect over three or four good ones.

I had predicted a holland trade in the "big predictions" thread, but I thought he'd be apart of a bigger trade for a dman. We don't need picks, so now I more expect it to be flipped at the deadline for a rental, or hopefully packaged for the aforementioned defenseman.

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
Bonino, MP22, Koivu, Getzy is what we are rolling with. Rakell has shown more promise in the games he's played this season. It was going to be another year of Holland in the AHL. Next year he would be eligible for waivers. His time here ran out.

With TOR's injuries down the middle and some decent play by Holland I don't see why he shouldn't get 25 games.

With BM's track record with these moves I just can't call it a bad move or selling cheap. Looks a deal where both players needed
a fresh start.

BM pilling up the picks just in case. Now those you can use to sweeten deals imo.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I remember watching him one game, Holland played like a beast. Hopefully he will develop into a great player. Blacker was a good prospect as well but I guess we had to move along.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Very disappointed in this, I don't feel holland ever got a true shot at a scoring role. It's too bad.

Ditto the sentiment. Remember how Murray said this offseason that purposely didn't add more NHL depth at defense because he wanted Vatanen to get NHL ice time? Unfortunately, Holland wasn't given the same opportunity to make his mistakes and develop.

But with Karlsson coming over next season and Kerdiles moving to center, Holland's value to the org was dropping fast due to the production of the aforementioned prospect. We all knew we were going to trade away prospects at some near future and maybe this is a way to help Holland's development too. All the best to Holland. Last year's incident of Rakell playing ahead of Holland proved to be a foreshadowing moment.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm not happy either. What's the harm of keeping him the AHL to keep the Admirals a respectable team? Maybe he eventually pulls it together.

Much would've rather moved him for an NHL player instead of this.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Holland may well turn out to be a quality 2C but it won't be here, he's too far down the depth chart and MP22 basically removed any chance of him being the 2C for the foreseeable future. His inability to perform in a 4C position with above average 4th line to low end 2nd line talent didn't help. I hope he does well.

Getting rid of Staubitz was a favor to him to get him some ice time, good on Murray for doing it.

Murray essentially flipped a 4th and a potential future 2C for an actual 2C, an open contract position, a D prospect, and a 3rd/2nd. Plus we got back the 7th we rented Staubitz for last year. Can't complain.

As far as the AHL is concerned, keep in mind Rakell and DSP/Etem are about to go back down in the next week when Koivu and Beleskey come back.

Last edited:

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
A Holland trade was bound to happen during the season. Not thrilled about the return, but it's good we at least got rid of Staubitz in the process. Good luck to Holland in Toronto.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Ditto the sentiment. Remember how Murray said this offseason that purposely didn't add more NHL depth at defense because he wanted Vatanen to get NHL ice time? Unfortunately, Holland wasn't given the same opportunity to make his mistakes and develop.

I disagree with that. The Ducks would not have gone out to get a guy like Perreault had Holland made a convincing case in preseason that he could be a factor for us. You can't just hand everyone roster spots and see whether they'll be alright. They felt Vatanen had earned that chance over his play last year and then this preseason. They went into this season leaving another opening for Holland to grab, and they only addressed that when they felt Holland had not done enough to earn it.

Saying he didn't have fair opportunities just isn't realistic.

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Peter Holland ‏@PeterHolland13 14m
Wow. Start by thanking the @AnaheimDucks for everything over the past couple years. Lot of firsts there and a very professional and underrated west coast team at times. Also Thanks to all the fan support. Didn't go unnoticed! That being said I am still in shock about being a @MapleLeafs and I am beyond excited to wear the blue and white! #Toronto

Classy words by Holland, and hope he does well, just wasn't to be in Anaheim

Agreed.
Very classy tweet by him. I wish him well in his new endeavor.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
In your opinion guys, who was better, Joe Colborne or Peter Holland? Cause we gave away Colborne for a lot less and he wasn't really a bust like i'm hearing about holland :(

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I knew Toronto would trade for Holland. Don't know why just a feeling when Kadri got suspended. Hopefully he can do well in Toronto now that he has an opportunity with all their centres out.

As for the trade - Blacker is an ok prospect still but not quite on Hollands level even if Holland hasn't really done anything yet (who knows if he ever will). We need to find someone to score in the AHL now. Hopefully a vet AHL guy presents themselves to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad