Confirmed with Link: [ANA/TOR] Holland & Staubitz for Blacker, conditional 3rd/2nd & 7th

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I just dont see the point. Holland may be centering Toronto's top line tonight with all their injuries/suspensions. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Holland really blossoms.

Really disappointed with this. We didnt get anything back that was worth losing a PPG AHL guy let alone one who is 22 and still has NHL potential.

Edit: here's hoping Holland plays 25+ games and makes it a 2nd. That would be great value for him.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Do you guys think this is a setup deal for another one? It has to be. I can't think of what the D situation looks like in the AHL but its gotta be getting tight right? Maybe someone on the main roster is on their way out and Vatanen is on his way up. Bruce said him and Andersen would eventually be up again.

I was thinking this too. I'm hoping anyway.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I just dont see the point. Holland may be centering Toronto's top line tonight with all their injuries/suspensions. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Holland really blossoms.

Really disappointed with this. We didnt get anything back that was worth losing a PPG AHL guy let alone one who is 22 and still has NHL potential.

Well, it was getting increasingly clear that he wasn't getting closer to blossoming or realizing his potential here. He was just sliding down the depth chart, and with guys like Rakell and Kerdiles moving to center regularly, that just continues. His value wasn't going to go up, so trading him when a team got desperate for a center seems like sensible timing.

He could still blossom, but that wasn't going to be here.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Very disappointed in this, I don't feel holland ever got a true shot at a scoring role. It's too bad.

Same, I really like Holland and I think he could potentially have found a spot as the 2c, but Perreault acquisition really put a stop to that possibility (and I couldn't be happier having MP22 in that role). I'll be rooting for Holland in Toronto.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Well, it was getting increasingly clear that he wasn't getting closer to blossoming or realizing his potential here. He was just sliding down the depth chart, and with guys like Rakell and Kerdiles moving to center regularly, that just continues. His value wasn't going to go up, so trading him when a team got desperate for a center seems like sensible timing.

He could still blossom, but that wasn't going to be here.

And Karlsson playing some good hockey from all reports in the SHL before coming over next season.

Thinking about it, it seems Anaheim is more interested in players who can play at both ends of the ice, seems to be the recent trend on the NHL club and seemingly in the draft for a lot of picks as well. Maybe part of the reason was Holland not fitting into a new philosophy at Anaheim as well?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
A won't be traded for a never was.

If he was traded, I would have preferred a pick. Although since I would just have expected a 2nd anyways there isn't a lot of lost value.

Skippy was right. We might as well just let Holland produce in the AHL for that return. The better AHL environment is worth more than these scraps.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
And Karlsson playing some good hockey from all reports in the SHL before coming over next season.
Yeah, didn't mention him because I'm pretty sure he's ahead of Holland in the organisation's depth chart already.

Thinking about it, it seems Anaheim is more interested in players who can play at both ends of the ice, seems to be the recent trend on the NHL club and seemingly in the draft for a lot of picks as well. Maybe part of the reason was Holland not fitting into a new philosophy at Anaheim as well?
Yup, I agree with that. It's a very obvious focus for the Ducks, and not the easiest thing to teach.

Skippy was right. We might as well just let Holland produce in the AHL for that return. The better AHL environment is worth more than these scraps.
That's a good argument against it, though. Sure seems like the Ads could have needed scoring moreso than a two-way defender, but I suppose we'll see what Blacker does for them. Wouldn't be surprised to see some follow-up minor league moves to help the scoring there.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I reaaaaaaly hope he plays those 25 games at least. 2nd rounder with our drafting staff might be a great deal.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Wasn't getting any ice time here and started losing out to Rakell. Really liked him early on but really had trouble staying up. Hope he does well in Toronto.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Did we get Blacker so we can trade Sbisa?
Yeah Blacker's upside seems to be Sbisa. Sounds like people here will enjoy that.

After being wrong about Penner and Rakell, and semi-wrong about Lindholm, Palmieri, and Perreault... it's good to be right on Holland. He was a do not draft in his draft year.

justheducks

Feb 10, 2009
OC, California
www.myspace.com
Very disappointed in this, I don't feel holland ever got a true shot at a scoring role. It's too bad.

Holland was handed a roster spot the last two seasons and couldn't take it. Rakell has shown in less than ten games in his rookie season that he is already more proven. Holland benefits the ducks literally zero at the nhl level. We signed steckel to replace him in the AHL and with saku, matt p, bonino, getz and rakell, holland has zero chances at making the lineup. If he cant make the lineup when half our centers are out he doesnt deserve to make the team.
Also i believe the 3rd becomes a 2nd if holland plays 25 games with the leafs. So route for holland lol

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I will say one thing positive about Holland though. Just like how Bobby is more suited for the East, Holland probably is too. And Toronto is decently gritty, so that should help hide his flaws. So he might produce more numbers there than he would for us.

edit: And I guess one good thing about Blacker is he's a right shot. Dunno if that means right side or not.

Last edited:

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I hope Blacker really pans out for you guys. And I also hope Holland plays the 25 games. In 2 Kadri is back, in about 9 Bozak is back and then in about 23-25 Bolland is back. So if he can take one of those guys spot's he was worth the 2nd.

Ducks-Leafs brotherhood continues.

justheducks

Feb 10, 2009
OC, California
www.myspace.com
A won't be traded for a never was.

If he was traded, I would have preferred a pick. Although since I would just have expected a 2nd anyways there isn't a lot of lost value.

If he does end up playing in 25 games and it turns into a 2nd rounder then it benefits the Ducks more to trade him at this point. Steckel and do the same thing that Holland can in the AHL. Win faceoffs and pass the puck.
I woud much rather have 4 picks in the top 50-60 and use those to maybe move up in the draft (for once) and get a player that has more upside then Holland. Holland didn't work out and it is time to move on. Now everyone route for him in Toronto so it turns into that 2nd rounder lol.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I guess Blacker winds up in Norfolk. Right now Norfolk is suffering offensively. Hope some help is on the horizon, even a free agent AHL type with some scoring ability.

This is one reason why I don't like the trade. Holland was one of Norfolk's best players and Norfolk needs all the offense it can get. They can't have John Gibson bailing them out every game

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Steckel and do the same thing that Holland can in the AHL. Win faceoffs and pass the puck.

Yeah, that's not really true, though. At the AHL, Holland is a top-line center, producing slightly below PPG. Steckel is still a bottom-6 guy there. He doesn't have the skill set.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Peter Holland ‏@PeterHolland13 14m
Wow. Start by thanking the @AnaheimDucks for everything over the past couple years. Lot of firsts there and a very professional and underrated west coast team at times. Also Thanks to all the fan support. Didn't go unnoticed! That being said I am still in shock about being a @MapleLeafs and I am beyond excited to wear the blue and white! #Toronto

Classy words by Holland, and hope he does well, just wasn't to be in Anaheim

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there was simply no room for holland

he got some chances and didn't do anything. and now with perreault proving himself as a legitimate 2nd line C, and other guys like rakell and karlsson coming up, holland was the odd man out. i'm almost positive he'll start producing in toronto which is what a change of scenery usually provides, but im fine with the trade. blacker will probably be nothing more than AHL material who will get a call up or two when there's injuries.

i just hope holland plays 25 games so the pick turns into a 2nd rounder, that would be an excellent return for him

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Disappointing return for a guy that's young, big and can carve up the AHL offensively. Good luck to Pete

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Meh. Blacker sounds like another Sbisa, all kinds of tools but no brains to put it together. I really hope that 3th round pick turns into a 2nd, considering what kind of players Ducks have been able to draft in the 2nd round.

I wished that Holland was used as a + in a bigger trade for a major piece like a top4 defender. No it feels like they sold him for cheap.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not every AHL player is the same. Holland has top 6 upside. I would not trade that for scraps

Blacker has a lot of mere upside, too.

That said, I understand not wanting to trade him for the return he got, but I also believe that we didn't sell him below his current value, at all, and he wasn't improving it. A guy in his situation just isn't fetching much more. Looking back to what Colborne or even a MP22 brought back, I think we did decently in terms of pure value in waiting to trade him until a team became desperate for a center.

I wished that Holland was used as a + in a bigger trade for a major piece like a top4 defender. No it feels like they sold him for cheap.

He didn't have that kind of value to be a meaningful piece in a bigger trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->