Confirmed with Link: [ANA/TOR] Holland & Staubitz for Blacker, conditional 3rd/2nd & 7th

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Toronto gets Staubitz and Holland.

We get Blacker, 2013 3rd round pick, and 2014 7th round pick.

Don't like it for us personally.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Seems to be 2 highly rated former prospects needing a change of scenery.

Holland dropped way down the depth chart as well.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Just got the notification on my phone. Who's this guy? And what draft picks?

Blacker is a 3rd/4th line grinder type. According to TFP guys, he's ready for NHL level, but toronto's depth is preventing it. Personally I think he stays in AHL. I think Murray is moving Holland cause he's failed on his opportunities with us. We also gain a 3rd since we moved our 4th for Perrault.

Not a bad trade, but i personally think we could have gotten more for Holland. I would have liked to see him packaged with other parts for a defensemen. Oh well. Not awful or anything.

Edit: he's a defensemen. What I get for listening to anything TFP says.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It will be a 2nd ronder if Holland plays 25 games at least this season. If that becomes a second rounder, it is a nice addition to our next draft.

Holland get`s to play close to home.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
Holland clearly didn't hold the value everyone thought he did for some odd reason. Repeated chances in the NHL and didn't make anything of them.

Don't care about this deal either way.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Just a run down from a Leafs fan perspective

Blacker was incredible in juniour, two-way force with great skating. His training camp a couple years ago was incredible but was sent down in favour of Gardiner. Since starting his career in the AHL he has been a major disappointment. Cant seem to find his step, seems to struggle against bigger competition, and his decision making is lacking. He still has the tools to be a good Top 4 defenceman if he can put it all together but he completely fell down the depth charts over the past couple seasons. Hopefully he can turn it around in Anaheim as I was a huge fan of his after he was drafted

Any insight on Holland?

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I hope he plays 25 games. Had he played any for us yet? Can't remember, and do those games count?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Blacker is a 3rd/4th line grinder type. According to TFP guys, he's ready for NHL level, but toronto's depth is preventing it. Personally I think he stays in AHL. I think Murray is moving Holland cause he's failed on his opportunities with us. We also gain a 3rd since we moved our 4th for Perrault.

Not a bad trade, but i personally think we could have gotten more for Holland. I would have liked to see him packaged with other parts for a defensemen. Oh well. Not awful or anything.

Blacker was once highly thought of for us, but he has steadily gone down on our depth chart where we had Rielly, Finn, Granberg, Percy, and Macwlliam ahead of him.

He's a guy with good tools, skates well, can be physical, has more offence that hasn't translated to the pros. His Hockey IQ is what holds him back.

To me, it sounds like a deal where 2 prospects need a change of scenery. If you guys get a 2nd rounder I think this is the key to the deal. It would mean it worked out for both teams.

Of note, he is best pals with Tyler Seguin. Which means he likes to party.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Blacker is a defenceman. IMO he is not ready for the NHL just yet. However, he was once touted as our most NHL ready D prospect.

Any insight on Holland?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Blacker is a defenceman. IMO he is not ready for the NHL just yet. However, he was once touted as our most NHL ready D prospect.

Any insight on Holland?

Skill but no drive. Shot is great. Kinda slow. Was handed a spot two years in a row due to his play at rookie camp. Then he just blows when he gets near NHL players. Was behind Rakell and probably Steckel on call ups now. Not bummed to lose him, but thought he was worth at least a 2nd.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well, this was about time. Very expectable, in every way. Holland was dropping in the organisational chart quickly. Change of scenery trade for both sides, hopefully our pro scouting was sold on Blacker and got a good catch. Holland still with the higher upside, so the picks even that out. Would be nice to see it become a 2nd. Cool that we got rid of Staubitz' contract in the process.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Just a run down from a Leafs fan perspective

Blacker was incredible in juniour, two-way force with great skating. His training camp a couple years ago was incredible but was sent down in favour of Gardiner. Since starting his career in the AHL he has been a major disappointment. Cant seem to find his step, seems to struggle against bigger competition, and his decision making is lacking. He still has the tools to be a good Top 4 defenceman if he can put it all together but he completely fell down the depth charts over the past couple seasons. Hopefully he can turn it around in Anaheim as I was a huge fan of his after he was drafted

Any insight on Holland?

Holland has a big frame, a good shot, pretty good playmaking skills and is an above average skater. He's had success in the AHL, but so far hasn't been able to put it together in the NHL. He's suffered from tunnel vision playing a faster paced game. He's good on both sides of the puck, and he plays a very mature game for his age. If anyone can get Holland to get his game together in the NHL, it's probably Carlyle. If he's going to have success in the NHL, it's going to be as a good 2-way center. I wouldn't expect a ton of points from him, maybe at his best he could be a 15-25-40 guy who is also responsible in the defensive zone.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Do you guys think this is a setup deal for another one? It has to be. I can't think of what the D situation looks like in the AHL but its gotta be getting tight right? Maybe someone on the main roster is on their way out and Vatanen is on his way up. Bruce said him and Andersen would eventually be up again.

hockey_nut

Mar 19, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Edit: he's a defensemen. What I get for listening to anything TFP says.

Maybe try reading? lol... They never said he was a forward

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 36m
Blacker (a TFP golf tourney regular) has shown he's ready to make the jump to the NHL, too much depth in TO prevented that from happening.

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
I guess Blacker winds up in Norfolk. Right now Norfolk is suffering offensively. Hope some help is on the horizon, even a free agent AHL type with some scoring ability.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I guess Blacker winds up in Norfolk. Right now Norfolk is suffering offensively. Hope some help is on the horizon, even a free agent AHL type with some scoring ability.
Already been confirmed he's going to Norfolk from one of Anaheim beat writers

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I was hoping the Ducks could get a 3rd for Holland, so getting another prospect in need of a change of scenery, plus a 7th, feels like good value to me. Blacker was pretty highly touted before the 2009 draft, think he was in the top 30 on many lists. Holland has good upside, but he got stuck in his development in Anaheim, hope he turns it around in Toronto.

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
I brought it up in the main boards, but I'm wondering if Blacker was paired up with Fowler in Windsor the year they won the Memorial Cup. There could be a degree of familiarity there, Blacker might be a nice partner for Fowler in the future with some more development.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Very disappointed in this, I don't feel holland ever got a true shot at a scoring role. It's too bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad