Confirmed Trade: [ANA/TOR] Adam Cracknell for Steven Oleksy

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Yea just like Oilers fans would redo the Hall for Larsson (and Lucic) trade
Why would we not do them again?

At the time giggy was traded he was an albatross of a contract.

We needed Beauch and Gardiner was expendable with Montour/Schultz.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
only when the leafs are involved does an AHL trade cause everyone to suddenly think that other trades and blockbusters at that. For those of you who actually do not follow the AHL, the have a rule about the number veterans play pure night. It is a developmental league. The Gulls have too many vets on D and had space open up front. This trade is not the catalyst that some are making it out to be. It is a straight forward AHL move due to AHL rules

Reactions: JEI and Coatsy79

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Didn't really understand why we signed Cracknell this summer...

But this trade makes sense for the Marlies.
Just traded D for F in Neilsen/Klimchuk. Just added another F, with Leivo/Carcone, AND Vancouver just sent Gagner back down. Plus, we're down an extra 2 D in Liljegren/Sandin, for the WJCs.

We just called up Stefan Leblanc, but trading a vet F for a vet D makes sense.

Worth noting that Oleksy has also played with the Marlies before. He was part of the #FreeCorrado trade that brought Eric Fehr to Toronto.
Oleksy also brings a right handed shot with (some minimal) NHL experience and a lot of toughness... I mean... I'll eat my hat if he sees an honest chance in the NHL this season, but there ya go... he ticks off all the HF boxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kamiccolo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Liljegren is currently week to week with a high ankle sprain so I guess they wanted to add a body?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
And heading to World Juniors after (hopefully)

In my experience (and opinion), the timeline for the high ankle sprain to be healed in time for him to play at the WJC doesn't line up, I can't see the ankle being ready.

Reactions: uncleben

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
2 bodies out, 1 body in...johnson to the leafs/marlies?

I thought about it right away, if he were to clear he would definitely have some appeal. Sparks doesn't look right in the net to me, goes down early, slow lateral movement etc. Although I suspect that people will point to his stats etc which are good but watching the games he doesn't inspire confidence. I thought his best game was periods 2 and 3 against the Kings, but they don't score on anyone.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018

He jokes, but one time I was driving back to Fort Irwin from LAX after Christmas and it snowed and there was 1 inch of snow on the roads and people were at the gas stations buying tire chains and trying to figure out how to put them on.

I helped a stranded motorist, passed 10 single car wrecks and it took me over 7 hours to get home.

Those snow tires may just give him the confidence to not drive off the side of a mountain like the rest of the california lemmings the one time it rains/snows.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I would do every one of those trades again.

Yeah I get that. We have made some interesting deals over the years thats for sure. I remember the Lupul and Gards for Beauch deal and it looked very, very good for us the first couple years. Then Lupul returned to the man of glass form and suddenly it looked pretty balanced. Beauch was good for you guys and Gards good for us.

The Blake and Toskala for Giggy was just a tonne of bad, bad salaries being shuffled around. All those players were basically done not long after.

The picks that we dealt off because we just had to get Mr MVP Biggs really panned out for you guys.

Anaheim and Toronto, lots of fun trades to decipher in a time when trades are rarely made. I salute you my warm climated brethren.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
He jokes, but one time I was driving back to Fort Irwin from LAX after Christmas and it snowed and there was 1 inch of snow on the roads and people were at the gas stations buying tire chains and trying to figure out how to put them on.

I helped a stranded motorist, passed 10 single car wrecks and it took me over 7 hours to get home.

Those snow tires may just give him the confidence to not drive off the side of a mountain like the rest of the california lemmings the one time it rains/snows.

The first couple snow falls even for us (ontario) are always chaos as well. People just forget how to drive in the winter after we have had 6 months of sunshine (well 4 months) Plus some people get caught with performance tires on and ...well they don't perform in the snow. That freak snow we got in mid November was a treat.

I got caught in a bad, bad snowstorm in West Virginia a few years ago. The main difference I saw was the lack of snow removal equipment compared to what we have here. Took forever to get it cleaned up. Most people were ok driving it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad