Confirmed with Link: [ANA/TB] Eric Brewer for 3rd-round pick (2015)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't know but non playoff teams will be looking to unload players.

Right now there aren't many teams who seem out of it. Buffalo only has Meyers of interest but cost will be too high. Edmonton has Petry who's ok just depends on the price. Carolina has Sekera but he's a lefty and will cost a bunch. Columbus has Wisniewski but he won't be cheap at all. Rather get someone now who we can acclimate to the system and be cheaper then waiting till the deadline and get in a bidding war.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There are very literally MAYBE 5 rental players that are worth even a look at targeting, that will actually probably be available. The good news is of those 5, 4 are right shots.

Sekera- Lefty
Petry- Righty
Franson- Righty
Green- Righty
Michalek- Righty

Everything else is either garbage, on a team that will be in the playoffs, or both.

Leafs and Caps won't sell. Michalek doesn't seem like a big upgrade but could be a good partner for Carle. Petry would work well with Garrison but what will he cost?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Leafs and Caps won't sell. Michalek doesn't seem like a big upgrade but could be a good partner for Carle. Petry would work well with Garrison but what will he cost?

Normally I would agree about Leafs and Caps but there is very little chance they resign Green and literally no chance they resign Franson. If Caps are out of it they will trade green but my guess is Detroit will pay a kings ransom for him.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Highly mobile defenseman with good hockey IQ, consistant at both ends of the ice, Carolina is leaving him and Faulk out to dry this year. Not saying we should pay an arm and a leg for him but he would be a great upgrade on our defense.

Also, this is pretty boss. Team down 0-5 none the less. He would be required to wear another number none the less ;)

Holy ****, want!

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I don't think Franson will fit in here. He's good offensively but slow and lazy defensively. Seems to me that we need more of a TWD than another OFD. Stralman and Hedman can bring plenty of offensive punch from the back end whenever we need it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Normally I would agree about Leafs and Caps but there is very little chance they resign Green and literally no chance they resign Franson. If Caps are out of it they will trade green but my guess is Detroit will pay a kings ransom for him.

Franson doesn't seem like he'd be a good fit for Coopers system and can't see the Caps not making the playoffs. Wisniewski would be the best fit but his cap and price will most likely take him out. Then I'd go Petry but Edmonton would want a center back and I wouldn't move Namestnikov for him. Michalek would be cheapest but not really an upgrade.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Franson doesn't seem like he'd be a good fit for Coopers system and can't see the Caps not making the playoffs. Wisniewski would be the best fit but his cap and price will most likely take him out. Then I'd go Petry but Edmonton would want a center back and I wouldn't move Namestnikov for him. Michalek would be cheapest but not really an upgrade.

Agree with most. Although I bet Yzerman could get Petry for a reasonable price that we wouldn't mind.

But the sad thing is, these are the cream of the crop choices.

Personally I'd love Sekera but Cooper would have to get away from his love of R-L pairings for it to work. And he will be highly sought after so expensive. Price would be worth it if we could resign him for a good cap hit. He's still young at 28.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Really enjoyed Brewer's time here with us. I thought he was pretty good when we first got him and was a steal. He had lost a step but still provided solid veteran leadership and a steady, if slow, back end presence. Didn't get some of the hate. Sad to see him go a little bit but thankful for his help to the team. He'll get a good chance with the Ducks.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I predicted last year that we would go after Sekera at some point, haven't changed my mind at all, dude's a beast.
I think Carolina would accept something like Carle+1st for him, because he isn't going to sigm there from what I've heard.
And Martin is a a special case as FA's going into the playoffs go, because he has stated that he will move on indefinitely, and Pitt is in a great need of scoring wingers. Which we coincidentally happen to have in say, Killorn and Connolly.

The rest of the available punch are either bad, don't fit or won't be in the market, Petry is the best of the rest but he wont be leaving Edmonton , unless he demands 7mil per 7 yrs, and even then he might get it due to Edmontons utter lack of good dmen.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I think Brewer was still one of our better D men. He definitely slowed down, but he was solid. Sustr has been making some big mistakes lately. I think Brewer still deserves to play, so I hope this move works out for him.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
did this come out of the blue or was it assumed something like this might happen to send Brewer somewhere?

Assumed. I thought it might happen just because we were going to have to send Paquette/Namestnikov down otherwise. Makes perfect sense both timing-wise and value-wise.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I think we should get Carle of this team as fast as possible. The problem is we have two declining LDs with heavy contracts. While Garrison is good for is so far, I bet he is another Brewer in around two years. So if we keep Carle and Garrison we have around 10m cap tied up for two bottom pairing veterans within a few years.
We have everything it takes to get a good (youngish) defender. And I am not counting on Koekkoek or DeAngelo to be a top4 defender within 2 years.

SY should go out and unloud Carle for wathever he can(without retaining salary) and go out get another possesion defender like Stralman (and Sekera is the perfect example). I rather overpay for a great fit than go for the cheap last Option available. And this guy should not be a rental.
I would have no problem trading any pick (yes even the NYR one) Connolly or even DeAngelo for the right guy. Koekkoek not so much, just because we need a ready defender to step in for injurys.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Carle isn't older either and is declining big time. Fact is Garrison is not the player he was a few years ago.

:rolleyes:

Carle isn't declining - he's exactly the same player he has always been. Garrison has actually improved this season. Defensemen tend not to fall off a cliff at 30 - these are their prime years (generally).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
:rolleyes:

Carle isn't declining - he's exactly the same player he has always been. Garrison has actually improved this season. Defensemen tend not to fall off a cliff at 30 - these are their prime years (generally).

Agreed, Garrison got alot better as the season progressed. Defensemen can remain pretty damn effective till 35~.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Unloading Carle is dumb. He's nowhere near as bad as some of you want him to be and you won't get anyone better from that rental list that's for sure.

It would also defeat the purpose of getting another defenseman if you ship one out. The point is to build the depth not exchange pieces.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
In a perfect world the bottom pairing should be Carle-Gudas. Carle would be very effective there, if traded, you'll miss him one way or another. Playing Sustr (I like him but needs more time) or Barberio (true he's improving though) for the playoffs is recipe for disaster. Yzerman got rid of Brewer for a good reason IMO, the defense will be upgraded via a trade sooner or later.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I agree that Carle isn't declining, he hasn't lost a step nor is he getting hurt frequently which is normally what happens to declining player's. His issue is his hockey IQ isn't great and when he has to play over 20 minutes a night that fatigue makes it worse which is why you see dumb mistakes. Get him under 20 and his game will improve. It's gonna be hard to move his contract and if we did a team that could take his contract probably is on his no trade list.

I can't see Carolina willing to take him plus a 1st for Sekera, they'd want more since they have to take that contract. The issue then becomes if we did get Sekera we'd sign him to a deal similar to the Carle one and we might be in this same situation with him in 3 years. Rather get cheap option just for a playoff run, I'm ok with Gudas and Sustr staying in the lineup with the rental just for injury insurance.

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128
Really enjoyed Brewer's time here with us. I thought he was pretty good when we first got him and was a steal. He had lost a step but still provided solid veteran leadership and a steady, if slow, back end presence. Didn't get some of the hate. Sad to see him go a little bit but thankful for his help to the team. He'll get a good chance with the Ducks.

Personally, my frustration with Brewer came from his repeated trips to the penalty box this season. He's not the most penalized player on the team, but he's close. 18 PIM in 17 GP is not quite a liability, but it's getting close. Might have been that he was a little desperate in his play, and that led him to commit more penalties than is acceptable, but that's still no excuse to hand so many PPs to the opposing teams. Other than that, I didn't have any real issues with him.

For me, it's Carle who is truly questionable.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Thinking about trades is fun...I get it. Realistically, we just got back a top 10 #1 Defenseman starting today...everyone goes back to their real slots and we see where we are 10 games from now. Carle and Garrison are nowhere near declining.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
SFY!

Good value for Brewer and frees up the spot. I think we go forward with our D for now and let Sustr and Barbs get some time in. We can further evaluate where we are by midpoint in the season, other teams will have a better sense of it they are playoff bound or not as well. So Toronto, Caps, Canes etc might be more willing to part with a D for a young forward or draft pick etc.

Carle and Sustr are showing their issues because they are playing more minutes than they should be. Heddy coming back will help slot them appropriately and we will see less of that in the next 10 games.

Man, all that draft picks next year in a deep draft! Gives us flexibility to make a move AND restock some depth as well. We are really being set up for success in the years to come like the Bolts have never been before. We are watching the building of a Dynasty right before our very eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->