GDT: ANA @ STL • 4 PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I thought the Blues were going to take a big step this year with their new acquisitions and young talent, and I know it's early in the year, but they did not impress me at all. Pietrangelo didn't look good, and he even gave us our 3rd goal. I know Jake Allen's inevitable month or 2 long hot streak is coming, but they're going to need him for a lot longer than that.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I thought the Blues were going to take a big step this year with their new acquisitions and young talent, and I know it's early in the year, but they did not impress me at all. Pietrangelo didn't look good, and he even gave us our 3rd goal. I know Jake Allen's inevitable month or 2 long hot streak is coming, but they're going to need him for a lot longer than that.
I think Mike Yeo is on the hotseat. They have made some serious win now moves getting ROR and Schenn. If they don’t improve I expect him to be gone by midseason

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Yay for wins.
Cam Fowler is so soft, I want to use him to wipe my ass.

This team treats the puck like kryptonite. It's like they intentionally avoid possession like the plague. All that talk about playing faster, and it looks like the same dumb crap from last year. I lost count of the number of times in the last 3 games I shouted "move you damn feet" when a Dman gained control of the puck and just stood there like a deer in the headlights.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think Mike Yeo is on the hotseat. They have made some serious win now moves getting ROR and Schenn. If they don’t improve I expect him to be gone by midseason

That to me was a questionable hire. I think he’s more suited to an assistant role. That whole situation with Hitchcock and his last year never really made sense.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Blues board sounded like our gdt
We are soft, Fire Yeo, .....etc

They’re struggling. We are too, but stealing wins for now,
So keep going...

Reactions: LuG61

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Good win from behind. Always like to see minor league journeymen like Street finally get a pay off with some NHL time.

Yeo and RC going to be in the race for the first to be fired this season

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Good win from behind. Always like to see minor league journeymen like Street finally get a pay off with some NHL time.

Yeo and RC going to be in the race for the first to be fired this season

Lately we've had a knack with picking up and having randos perform well, First Line Center Derek Grantzlaf comes to mind.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I noticed last night that the defense is constantly using the walls to try to move the puck out of the zone rather than skating a bit to find an open man. It honestly seemed like 4 out of every 5 passes were against the boards and then stolen by St Louis. Either the forwards are not getting open, or that is the strategy they have decided to take. I can see why we are terrible at possession, we never actually pass it to a person, we just hope we out hustle them to an open puck. There was one time Lindholm had the puck behind the net, three players skated in front of him to gather momentum and there was one defender. He could not decide which way to go and had no one to pass to so he sent it off the board at the blue line right to a St. Louis player. We had possession, and basically just gave them the puck.

In the offensive zone we dont look as bad, but it still seems like the players are not sure where to skate and unable to pass it to an open person.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I noticed last night that the defense is constantly using the walls to try to move the puck out of the zone rather than skating a bit to find an open man. It honestly seemed like 4 out of every 5 passes were against the boards and then stolen by St Louis. Either the forwards are not getting open, or that is the strategy they have decided to take. I can see why we are terrible at possession, we never actually pass it to a person, we just hope we out hustle them to an open puck. There was one time Lindholm had the puck behind the net, three players skated in front of him to gather momentum and there was one defender. He could not decide which way to go and had no one to pass to so he sent it off the board at the blue line right to a St. Louis player. We had possession, and basically just gave them the puck.

In the offensive zone we dont look as bad, but it still seems like the players are not sure where to skate and unable to pass it to an open person.

Yeah that's something that has bugged me for a long time. We must attempt more bump/double bump breakouts and less tape to tape passes than any team in the league. There are obviously times where it's necessary under a really heavy forecheck, but it just seems to the breakout we default to far too often.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Rakell on Kesler's line was a total fail. Putting him on a line with serious defensive responsibilities makes him even more invisible and makes the line less effective.

haven't watched the game yet, but absolutely this. Some of Carlyle's line combinations are so freaking stupid sometimes.

Reactions: DuckRogers10
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
haven't watched the game yet, but absolutely this. Some of Carlyle's line combinations are so freaking stupid sometimes.
I don't necessarily blame him for this one though, at least the attempt. Wouldn't want to move Comtois from his safe space, that leaves Kesler, Lundestrom, Rowney or Steel as his center option. Kesler is by far the best equipped to handle 1C matchups, so. Didn't work, but I get the instinct.

Reactions: Doothpick
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah that's something that has bugged me for a long time. We must attempt more bump/double bump breakouts and less tape to tape passes than any team in the league. There are obviously times where it's necessary under a really heavy forecheck, but it just seems to the breakout we default to far too often.
Forwards are rarely open. Usually because they're off in outer space somewhere, and next often because the D is just standing there.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Could not be happier for Cogs getting some PP time. Guy is a workhorse and has been his whole career. Im still bitter Parros suspended him last year, the streak would still be alive.

RC still completely clueless about who's on his bench during games.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Finally a game where the Ducks didn't stink up the ice and didn't get completely outplayed by their opponent. They still have too many take aways and lack of puck recovery in their defensive zone, but at least the didn't keep make defensive coverage blunders like they did against Dallas. It was a good win for them.

I wish they wouldn't keep playing the puck back to the defensemen instead of moving the puck forward when they can. Street did this last night and Rakell did this against Detroit or Arizona and it and it resulted in turnovers to the other team in the Ducks defensive zone. At least the defense quickly took the puck back in Street's case.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Seems we’ve been doing the “safe” off the boards/glass thing forever and keep getting hemmed in our zone too often from it

Heck, I remember watching the chelios era wings practicing keeping pucks in of the boards when they were getting ready to play us. Chelios and Lidstrom were geniuses at holding the zone and it was absurd to watch us continue to hand the puck to them.

But we’re playing differently now

And yes I’m happy and surprised at our record!!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Rakell on Kesler's line was a total fail. Putting him on a line with serious defensive responsibilities makes him even more invisible and makes the line less effective.

On paper, it previewed terribly. hahahhahahha

I'd rather have Rakell with Steel and Lundestrom with Kes. Far better chemistry there since they're all defensively sound!

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Screenshot_20181015-144637_theScore.jpg

Feels good.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't necessarily blame him for this one though, at least the attempt. Wouldn't want to move Comtois from his safe space, that leaves Kesler, Lundestrom, Rowney or Steel as his center option. Kesler is by far the best equipped to handle 1C matchups, so. Didn't work, but I get the instinct.

I can live with Kesler and Rakell being tried, but with Cogs? No, just no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->