Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Derek Grant for Kyle Crisculo and 2020 4th round pick

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Also 3 SHG this year, guy has been great on the PK. And to have as many goals as he does on a horribly offensive team's 4th line says a lot.

Reactions: flyersNducks

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I can buy 4C but if Grant can't crack the top 9 on one of the worst teams in the NHL, he should be nowhere near a 3rd line on a playoff team. I do like this move more than Thompson though. I think he's the better player.

The Ducks utilize their 4th line as a matchup line, because of all the youth in the top 9. The Grant was line matched against MacKinnon the other night (and kept him off the scoresheet).

I realize most Flyers fans don't stay up to watch a lot of western games but some of you are being quite ridiculous here. Some pretty strong opinions based mostly on ignorance and not actual knowledge of the player and situation.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I can buy 4C but if Grant can't crack the top 9 on one of the worst teams in the NHL, he should be nowhere near a 3rd line on a playoff team. I do like this move more than Thompson though. I think he's the better player.

He could have played higher up in the lineup, but they wanted a guy like Sam Steel to develop in a top 9 Center role.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Grant seems to only play well for the Ducks, but he's a nice depth option for a 4th.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Bad take. He's on pace for 20+ goals with extremely heavy defensive usage. Good PKer and brings size and physicality for a playoff push.

Then why was he traded for a 4th rounder and a dude that will be playing in a beer league next year? The Flyers got Guy Carbonneau, sweet!

All joking aside, Grant is a decent player--but why the Flyers obsession with 4th line centers today? Obviously Mr. Glass Patrick isn't coming back.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The Ducks utilize their 4th line as a matchup line, because of all the youth in the top 9. The Grant was line matched against MacKinnon the other night (and kept him off the scoresheet).

I realize most Flyers fans don't stay up to watch a lot of western games but some of you are being quite ridiculous here. Some pretty strong opinions based mostly on ignorance and not actual knowledge of the player and situation.
Why are you replying to me? You literally didn't respond to anything I said and then went on some East/West bias rant.

I said he's not a 3rd line center. How am I wrong? I also said I like the move so I'm not sure why you're coming at me like I'm trashing the guy.

What exactly did I say that's "quite ridiculous" or "ignorant"?

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Can we just have real opinion on him with Anaheim fans and west coast fans ? I see the numbers but what about real opinion on him.

Can he play limited 3rd line center? Does he play a physical kind of hockey, is he a good shutdown ??

Thanks

Reactions: Flyrs21

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Why are you replying to me? You literally didn't respond to anything I said and then went on some East/West bias rant.

I said he's not a 3rd line center on a playoff team. How am I wrong? I also said I like the move so I'm not sure why you're coming at me like I'm trashing the guy.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
You shit post a lot, I'd love to hear what you would have expected the flyers to do in terms of moves based on current roster/cap space.

Ducks have been outscored 21-14 when Grant's on the ice at 5-on-5.

Flyers could have got creative and traded Ghost to create cap space. Or traded for a guy like Thornton that could be a 2C/3C and help with one of the team's actual weaknesses (read: NOT PK or FACEOFFS) in the Powerplay.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Come playoff time, I think these "underwhelming" moves will pay dividends. Gritty guys who can slot in at C and wear down other teams are well worth late picks for Philly. Grant is much better than Thompson, imo. Neither is a bad pickup on deadline day.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He could have played higher up in the lineup, but they wanted a guy like Sam Steel to develop in a top 9 Center role.
He's been around for a long time and he's always either been a 4th line or in the AHL. I'm not sure why he would get traded to a team with Couturier, Giroux (C or W), Hayes, and Laughton and think he's going to potentially be a 3rd line center.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Flyers could have got creative and traded Ghost to create cap space. Or traded for a guy like Thornton that could be a 2C/3C and help with one of the team's actual weaknesses (read: NOT PK or FACEOFFS) in the Powerplay.
I don't think adding depth guys in minor deals would stop them from doing those things...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I said he's not a 3rd line center on a playoff team. How am I wrong? I also said I like the move so I'm not sure why you're coming at me like I'm trashing the guy.

Yeah sorry the first part was responding to you regarding Grant's usage, he hasn't been used as a traditional 4th liner and can be used as a key defensive player on whichever line(s) take on the toughest minutes. He absolutely can play on a 3rd line and that very well may be the plan. Doesn't even look out place in top 6 spot duty if injuries come up.

The rest was directed at the general response from a few Flyers fans calling him a scrub and what not. The boards are too slow to quote everyone right now.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Ducks have been outscored 21-14 when Grant's on the ice at 5-on-5.

For that to work the Flyers would have to find someone in need of an offensive dman that can't score. I can't imagine the market for those is all that great.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
fletched on this one?
Kind of how I feel..
So say something nice..
Was expecting a scorer.. no nothing about Grant

Last edited:

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Can we just have real opinion on him with Anaheim fans and west coast fans ? I see the numbers but what about real opinion on him.

Can he play limited 3rd line center? Does he play a physical kind of hockey, is he a good shutdown ??

Thanks
Outside of the numbers? Good shutdown guy, like someone said earlier his line was matched against MacKinnon line and kept them off the scoresheet. One of the hardest working guys and brings maximum effort to every game. Good physical 4th liner, he can fill in on 3c if need be, but I would keep him on the 4th.

Reactions: flyersfromquebec

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yeah sorry the first part was responding to you regarding Grant's usage, he hasn't been used as a traditional 4th liner and can be used as a key defensive player on whichever line(s) take on the toughest minutes. He absolutely can play on a 3rd line and that very well may be the plan. Doesn't even look out place in top 6 spot duty if injuries come up.

The rest was directed at the general response from a few Flyers fans calling him a scrub and what not. The boards are too slow to quote everyone right now.
It's mainly just FlyguyOX, don't even bother listening to him. He's just an advances stat nerd who relies on charts more than actually watching hockey. I don't see a ton of Ducks games but I catch at least parts of 5-10 a year until I fall asleep in the 3rd period. I like Grant and I think he fits in better than Thompson. He's an upgrade defensively over a guy like Bunnaman who I assume will be the odd man out.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Then why was he traded for a 4th rounder and a dude that will be playing in a beer league next year? The Flyers got Guy Carbonneau, sweet!

All joking aside, Grant is a decent player--but why the Flyers obsession with 4th line centers today? Obviously Mr. Glass Patrick isn't coming back.

Bottom six guys just don't seem to be returning much, even then I'm surprised that Murray traded Grant for this little rather than just signing him, given how ideal he has been in the checking line role.

I was expecting at least a 3rd, he's likely someone who fetches a similar return to Brian Boyle last year ( a 2nd) if he has a longer track record of playing to this level.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
A conundrum of a player tbh
Has exceeded expectations in his two stints here in Anaheim
Our “fourth” line has often played against other teams top lines and Grant has done a very good, hard working job
Has been taking a lot of key face offs on his strong side
Goes to the net and is pretty strong there

Due to all of our injuries, he has at times had to fill in as a top two lines player and handles it well, mostly making smart plays

Busts his a$$ on PK

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad