Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Nic Deslauriers signs extension (2 years, $1M AAV)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
-Lots of players in hockey have played a regular 4th line shift and been waived. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of players on 4th lines have and will. The fact that he's playing on the 4th line now doesn't negate the fact that he has been waived nor will it have anything to do when he is waived again. Also:

-He's not a very good player.
-He's been waived before.
-He'll be replaced by a better player next year.
-He really can't "actually play hockey" at an effective NHL level.
-If you look at something like the rankings of dailyfaceoff (using the player ratings from Corsica Hockey) he's listed as the 139th best LW in the NHL.
-He's a career -64, yes he's always played on bad teams so that hurts his +/- but it also tells you that any good team has better options.... and so do every bad team that's had him.
-His CF% REL is -7.1 He's been - relative every year he's been in the league except for his 1st when he played 17 games. Again, he's negative relative to his teammates on bad teams. When you are a bad player who is worse than other really bad players it means you are really really bad.
- A quick look at similar players on hockey-reference w/ similar career pt shares- Paul Masnick, Ryan White, Colin Fraser, Brian Sutherby- all players who were journeymen waiver wire guys.. just like ND.

There. I've identified several reasons. You are welcome and I'm glad I've earned your trust.

Classic boxscore scouting post. No context whatsoever is being applied into any of your analysis either.

Reactions: Quack

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Classic boxscore scouting post. No context whatsoever is being applied into any of your analysis either.
"You've given no evidence he's bad!!!!'

LOTS OF EVIDENCE GIVEN

"That's not evidence that I like!!!!!"

And relative stats are in and of themselves giving context.

If I was boxscore scouting I would have mentioned his scoring stats. The problem with NOT using some sort of statistical argument is that everything else on HF just becomes your eyeball vs. someone else's.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGooooch

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hey look hfboards resident anti enforcer poster is barking as usual
When you don't have anything to say about the information/argument/evidence in a post, you can always just resort to some ad hominem.

#barking

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
When you don't have anything to say about the information/argument/evidence in a post, you can always just resort to some ad hominem.

#barking

It seems to me like your providing sound arguments as to why you personally would waive Deslauriers, but that doesn't mean it's likely the Ducks agree.

Anaheim doesn't want young guys playing on the 4th line or sitting in the press box. There really isn't anyone to knock him out of his role, the prospects are competing for top 9 time. In order for Deslauriers to be displaced, it would mean the Ducks went out and acquired another veteran grinder, and I really don't think that's as likely as you're making it out to be.

They've been really happy with the Deslauriers - Grant - Rowney 4th line, giving them tough defensive minutes and more than just spot duty.

Sorry but there's no reason to expect a team to waive a guy shortly after giving him a two year, one way deal. They clearly see him having a place on the team and hold him in higher regard than you do.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
It seems to me like your providing sound arguments as to why you personally would waive Deslauriers, but that doesn't mean it's likely the Ducks agree.

Anaheim doesn't want young guys playing on the 4th line or sitting in the press box. There really isn't anyone to knock him out of his role, the prospects are competing for top 9 time. In order for Deslauriers to be displaced, it would mean the Ducks went out and acquired another veteran grinder, and I really don't think that's as likely as you're making it out to be.

They've been really happy with the Deslauriers - Grant - Rowney 4th line, giving them tough defensive minutes and more than just spot duty.

Sorry but there's no reason to expect a team to waive a guy shortly after giving him a two year, one way deal. They clearly see him having a place on the team and hold him in higher regard than you do.

Who's whoa whoa. I'm sure Quincy knows what he's talking about... Trust me.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
"You've given no evidence he's bad!!!!'

LOTS OF EVIDENCE GIVEN

"That's not evidence that I like!!!!!"

And relative stats are in and of themselves giving context.

If I was boxscore scouting I would have mentioned his scoring stats. The problem with NOT using some sort of statistical argument is that everything else on HF just becomes your eyeball vs. someone else's.
Deslauriers is the 3rd least offensive zone starts on the team at 33.1%. Including the defensemen. Only Grant and Rowney are lower. That’s the 7th least sheltered left wing in the entire league with players >30 games.

He’s a 4th liner, but he’s used like a shutdown player. Put a little perspective on those stats.

Reactions: Paul4587

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Depending on how well Comtois develops (and if Ritchie has any further offensive growth in him) 2nd or 3rd line LW. Currently he's our second best LW. Sad but true.

I'd like him on the Leafs from a physical aspect but probably more in that 3rd line role. I am assuming he's strictly LW, not RW?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'd like him on the Leafs from a physical aspect but probably more in that 3rd line role. I am assuming he's strictly LW, not RW?

Ritchie? The majority of his time in the NHL he’s been LW. He has had small stints on the right (mostly in his rookie year) but never consistently played there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ritchie? The majority of his time in the NHL he’s been LW. He has had small stints on the right (mostly in his rookie year) but never consistently played there.

Yeah figured as much. Ducks seem to be okay at LW, I see him departing in the Summer, especially if Zegras signs.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah figured as much. Ducks seem to be okay at LW, I see him departing in the Summer, especially if Zegras signs.

He may be moved but it’s not because we are ok at LW it will be because there’s a rift between him and Murray. Comtois is a ways off being ready and Max Jones is a 4th liner in an ideal world. I’m hoping we keep him but from what’s implied in the media and the holdout I don’t think Murray is his biggest fan.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He may be moved but it’s not because we are ok at LW it will be because there’s a rift between him and Murray. Comtois is a ways off being ready and Max Jones is a 4th liner in an ideal world. I’m hoping we keep him but from what’s implied in the media and the holdout I don’t think Murray is his biggest fan.

I figured next year;

LW would look like;

Rackell
Zegras
Comtois
Jones

That is just me as an outsider looking in though.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
-Lots of players in hockey have played a regular 4th line shift and been waived. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of players on 4th lines have and will. The fact that he's playing on the 4th line now doesn't negate the fact that he has been waived nor will it have anything to do when he is waived again. Also:

-He's not a very good player. He's been very good this year for the ducks in the role given. His line has been used to close out games.
-He's been waived before. Because the past is a predictor of the future? Chris Kunitz was waived twice and then had a Very good career. Derek Grant has been waived and claimed. Chris Wagner was waived and eventually signed a similar 2 year contract with a very good Boston team. There are many, many examples of players who were waived early in their careers and then signed multi-year deals.
-He'll be replaced by a better player next year. Who? I'm a ducks fan and see no one likely to fill his role next year (maybe Jones).
-He really can't "actually play hockey" at an effective NHL level. He's been very good this year and adds toughness - something that you don't seem to value.
-If you look at something like the rankings of dailyfaceoff (using the player ratings from Corsica Hockey) he's listed as the 139th best LW in the NHL. As pointed out elsewhere, he's playing a defensive/checking role with some of the least sheltered shifts in the league. No one is saying he's McDavid - but his numbers are in line with a 4th line forward.
-He's a career -64, yes he's always played on bad teams so that hurts his +/- but it also tells you that any good team has better options.... and so do every bad team that's had him. Plus/minus? Really? The ducks - the only team that matters - are not a good team and don't have better options for his role.
-His CF% REL is -7.1 He's been - relative every year he's been in the league except for his 1st when he played 17 games. Again, he's negative relative to his teammates on bad teams. When you are a bad player who is worse than other really bad players it means you are really really bad. CF% is a partial indication of the player. But a 4th line player who fights having a poor CF% doesn't mean he'll be waived. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find many tough players/fighters who have a good CF% (even Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves both have career CF% below 50%, though they are above this year).
- A quick look at similar players on hockey-reference w/ similar career pt shares- Paul Masnick, Ryan White, Colin Fraser, Brian Sutherby- all players who were journeymen waiver wire guys.. just like ND. The fact that ND is a journeman doesn't mean he'll be waived. You're seemingly intentionally ignoring the fact that his contract is so cheap that he brings value in the role he's given.

There. I've identified several reasons. You are welcome and I'm glad I've earned your trust.

At least you've progressed from from making summary unsupported statements to mostly uninformed claims. You seem to be conflating your opinion about the player (which seems uninformed) with what is likely to happen in the next two years.

My response above, in bold

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I figured next year;

LW would look like;

Rackell
Zegras
Comtois
Jones

That is just me as an outsider looking in though.
Ritchie is much better than Jones.
Comtois...we'll see if he's ready. But yeah, he will probably play with the big club.
They likely want Zegras to be a center. I would also be very surprised if he played the full year with the Ducks.
Rakell I hope will be traded for a nice return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->