Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Nic Deslauriers signs extension (2 years, $1M AAV)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What is your point? It could happen, perhaps because the ducks want to bring up a different player and Deslauriers can't be sent down without being waived. But so what? At this salary, he's a great depth option even in the AHL and his value as expansion draft fodder at a minimum salary makes him worth his weight in gold. In truth, if wavied, he probably gets claimed (like Sbisa). And I don't see a waivers transaction happening (barring injury) until 2021-22 at which point, the contract is mostly up.

Trust me, he'll be waived next year. That's my point. Cap is low, he's not "great depth" he's a replacement level player who will be replaced. It's not a criticism that they've resigned him in any way but it's certainly not something I'd be praising them for.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Gives it 110% effort every shift. I loved watching him play in Montreal. He definitely is by no means the most skilled player, fastest player or smartest player, but his grit and level of effort can’t be denied. Every team needs at least a guy like this.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I like it. As many other have pointed out, he leaves nothing on the table every shift/game and is a great fourth liner. Add to that his seeming willingness to drop the gloves with anyone & he provides a bit of enforcer (such as it is these days in the NHL) protection to the large amount of young players trying to figure things out further up the roster.

/now lock up Grant for a couple of years to solidify the bottom end as that line has been really good at their role this year.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I was hoping the bruins might try and grab him for some grit for the playoffs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
From an outsider's perspective, I don't see where Ritchie fits in moving forward.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's currently the second best LW on the team behind Rakell.

Figured Comtois, Jones, Steel, Lundestrom (if he's not C) would all be higher up the depth chart considering. Also Zegras is a LW as well.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Figured Comtois, Jones, Steel, Lundestrom (if he's not C) would all be higher up the depth chart considering. Also Zegras is a LW as well.

Steel is a center, Lundestrom still being developed as one. Jury is still out on what they do with Zegras position wise.

I don't expect Jones to be as good as Ritchie, more of an energy guy who could play up and down the lineup.

Comtois has more goal scoring potential but he's still a prospect and needs some time. Has played both wings also.

I'm not saying Ritchie is completely untouchable (there may even be some disconnect there with management after the contract holdout) but he's a top 6 winger on the team as of now, remains to be seen how many of the other young wingers pan out. Not a guarantee he becomes an odd man out by any means. Could also be forwards on the way out as well.

Reactions: Paul4587

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Steel is a center, Lundestrom still being developed as one. Jury is still out on what they do with Zegras position wise.

I don't expect Jones to be as good as Ritchie, more of an energy guy who could play up and down the lineup.

Comtois has more goal scoring potential but he's still a prospect and needs some time. Has played both wings also.

I'm not saying Ritchie is completely untouchable (there may even be some disconnect there with management after the contract holdout) but he's a top 6 winger on the team as of now, remains to be seen how many of the other young wingers pan out. Not a guarantee he becomes an odd man out by any means. Could also be forwards on the way out as well.

Not that I am the final authority on it or anything but Zegras looks like a winger to me, I would pretty much pencil him in as a LW moving forward.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Trust me, he'll be waived next year. That's my point. Cap is low, he's not "great depth" he's a replacement level player who will be replaced. It's not a criticism that they've resigned him in any way but it's certainly not something I'd be praising them for.
Thanks for the heads up Murray

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Would have preferred like 850-900k, but I have no issue with this. He’s fantastic at his role. Not the best hockey player, but not a liability and consistently gives it his all every night. I like this.
Why even post the 850-900k part
Rest of the post is accurate

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

Trust me, he won't be waived next year. See how that works? If you're going to make an assertion, it helps to back it up with some actual facts or analysis.

I have no reason to think he'll be waived next year - if nothing else he can be scratched because the team has lots of cap space. In fact, I can give you many reasons he won't be waived, including the fact he gets a regular shift on a fourth line, can actually play hockey in that role (not just fight), and he'll be needed for the expansion draft. You haven't identified one reason he'd be waived. So no, I don't trust you.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Trust me, he won't be waived next year. See how that works? If you're going to make an assertion, it helps to back it up with some actual facts or analysis.

I have no reason to think he'll be waived next year - if nothing else he can be scratched because the team has lots of cap space. In fact, I can give you many reasons he won't be waived, including the fact he gets a regular shift on a fourth line, can actually play hockey in that role (not just fight), and he'll be needed for the expansion draft. You haven't identified one reason he'd be waived. So no, I don't trust you.
-Lots of players in hockey have played a regular 4th line shift and been waived. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of players on 4th lines have and will. The fact that he's playing on the 4th line now doesn't negate the fact that he has been waived nor will it have anything to do when he is waived again. Also:

-He's not a very good player.
-He's been waived before.
-He'll be replaced by a better player next year.
-He really can't "actually play hockey" at an effective NHL level.
-If you look at something like the rankings of dailyfaceoff (using the player ratings from Corsica Hockey) he's listed as the 139th best LW in the NHL.
-He's a career -64, yes he's always played on bad teams so that hurts his +/- but it also tells you that any good team has better options.... and so do every bad team that's had him.
-His CF% REL is -7.1 He's been - relative every year he's been in the league except for his 1st when he played 17 games. Again, he's negative relative to his teammates on bad teams. When you are a bad player who is worse than other really bad players it means you are really really bad.
- A quick look at similar players on hockey-reference w/ similar career pt shares- Paul Masnick, Ryan White, Colin Fraser, Brian Sutherby- all players who were journeymen waiver wire guys.. just like ND.

There. I've identified several reasons. You are welcome and I'm glad I've earned your trust.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Our fourth line Is the only line that has consistently done their job and done it well.

This is a well deserved signing, he sticks up for the team well, plays hard, and makes pretty smart decisions.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our fourth line Is the only line that has consistently done their job and done it well.

This is a well deserved signing, he sticks up for the team well, plays hard, and makes pretty smart decisions.

Yup pretty much. Grant has 13 Goals in 45 games. 4th line has been really the only consistently good thing this season for Anaheim. I hope Grant is re-signed soon also. Doesn’t make sense to risk losing him for like a 4th round pick.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
-Lots of players in hockey have played a regular 4th line shift and been waived. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of players on 4th lines have and will. The fact that he's playing on the 4th line now doesn't negate the fact that he has been waived nor will it have anything to do when he is waived again. Also:

-He's not a very good player.
-He's been waived before.
-He'll be replaced by a better player next year.
-He really can't "actually play hockey" at an effective NHL level.
-If you look at something like the rankings of dailyfaceoff (using the player ratings from Corsica Hockey) he's listed as the 139th best LW in the NHL.
-He's a career -64, yes he's always played on bad teams so that hurts his +/- but it also tells you that any good team has better options.... and so do every bad team that's had him.
-His CF% REL is -7.1 He's been - relative every year he's been in the league except for his 1st when he played 17 games. Again, he's negative relative to his teammates on bad teams. When you are a bad player who is worse than other really bad players it means you are really really bad.
- A quick look at similar players on hockey-reference w/ similar career pt shares- Paul Masnick, Ryan White, Colin Fraser, Brian Sutherby- all players who were journeymen waiver wire guys.. just like ND.

There. I've identified several reasons. You are welcome and I'm glad I've earned your trust.
Hey look hfboards resident anti enforcer poster is barking as usual

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
From an outsider's perspective, I don't see where Ritchie fits in moving forward.

Depending on how well Comtois develops (and if Ritchie has any further offensive growth in him) 2nd or 3rd line LW. Currently he's our second best LW. Sad but true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad