Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign Jake Dotchin [1 year, $800k]

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What was the story with him?
Seems like an Ahl/nhl tweeter. Not quite good enough at any one thing to carve out a role. Tries hard and tries to play physical.

Maybe in the right situation he could be an effective complimentary player, but hasn’t been able to do so yet.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Seems like an Ahl/nhl tweeter. Not quite good enough at any one thing to carve out a role. Tries hard and tries to play physical.

Maybe in the right situation he could be an effective complimentary player, but hasn’t been able to do so yet.

Ahh ok. I remember him being a decent player at Michigan and I know he was a 2nd rounder for Carolina years back but honestly never took a look at his numbers until now.

Now I definitely see what you're saying.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The ducks signing a bottom pairing gritty defenseman. Rinse and repeat every season

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I get the idea that he's a low risk gamble with a little upside, but BM typically doesn't waste much time on out of shape or unmotivated players, it's surprising to see him on this side of things taking one on.
I've stated on here before, that I think the issue with Dotchin is depression. I obviously don't know for sure.
I think he was/is depressed and gained weight over the offseason and maybe just didn't care to get back into form.
Andrej Sustr stuck up for Dotchin, and I wouldn't be surprised if he also is the one who got him the 1-yr contract in Anaheim.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Ducks sign these guys and they wonder why they're penalized so often lmao.

Is it the numerous dirty and undisciplined players on the team? No it's the refs who are wrong.

Zennon

Mar 12, 2004
Why wouldn't they put him on a conditioning sting instead? or is that for injured player only? Just weird.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Keep the fat jokes coming

I heard he has a heavy shot.

Joking aside, interesting that Sustr apparently vouched for him given that the two of them will be competing for the same roster spot. Either Dotchin is a great guy or Sustr isn't very smart (or both).

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Why wouldn't they put him on a conditioning sting instead? or is that for injured player only? Just weird.

Once he clears waivers, can't they move him back and forth between the minors and NHL without having to waive him again? I seem to recall a rule like that. Assuming that's the case, then having him clear waivers now (before he re-establishes his value and the ducks have anything invested in him) makes sense. My guess is no one will make a waiver claim on a player like this with questionable motivation and who very well doesn't want to play elsewhere. So waive him now.

Also, by clearing waivers, I think there may be some salary cap benefits.

Reactions: wraparound

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Maybe they're not worried about losing him and would like to have him available if he clears, and no skin off their nose if he doesn't.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think it is a low risk signing for Anaheim. They have a knack of developing and utilizing defencemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad