Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign Brandon Montour to two year deal [2yr, 3.3875AAV]

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Too high. He shouldn't have gotten more than 3. Not gonna lose any sleep over it though, I just hope he continues to improve.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bit higher than I'd like considering this is a good Hanifin comparable.
For hanifin, he doesn’t have arbitration rights. But I doubt the games will put the screws to him. They were he ones to ink Hamilton to his current deal.

analytics

Jun 24, 2018
Too high. He shouldn't have gotten more than 3. Not gonna lose any sleep over it though, I just hope he continues to improve.

Not even sure where this is coming from, but the kid already played at easily over a 4M level for a full season last year.

This deal doesn't even meet his current level of production and makes zero calibration towards his upside and inevitable steps in these 2 years.

Newsflash: he earned more ice time than Josh Manson THIS season, on a juggernaut blueline.

P.S. In reference to comparables such as Hanifin, Montour played a palpably larger role this season in a situation far more difficult to separate and earn that role. He's also many years older despite having less NHL experienced.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
...I honestly think he's going to struggle until Carlyle is fired. Randy has made poor use of this team's mobile defense.

Well apparently randy was given an order to make the team faster this year... hopefully it means taking advantage of our (like you said) well-skating d. And if not, he’ll likely be gone. I honesty think our main problem is shortening the bench too much.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Newsflash: he earned more ice time than Josh Manson THIS season, on a juggernaut blueline.
This doesn't really mean much at all considering Montour plays a significant amount of minutes on the PP (2 minutes 15 seconds per game) while Manson sees next to no PP time (6 seconds per game) and since Montour plays on the PK (1 minute 12 seconds per game) it doesn't balance out even with Manson logging big PK minutes (2 minutes 27 seconds per game). Manson (17 minutes 49 seconds per game) plays more at ES than Montour (17 minutes 1 second per game) as well.

Montour is a damn good young dman, but lets not go overboard.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
This doesn't really mean much at all considering Montour plays a significant amount of minutes on the PP (2 minutes 15 seconds per game) while Manson sees next to no PP time (6 seconds per game) and since Montour plays on the PK (1 minute 12 seconds per game) it doesn't balance out even with Manson logging big PK minutes (2 minutes 27 seconds per game). Manson (17 minutes 49 seconds per game) plays more at ES than Montour (17 minutes 1 second per game) as well.

Montour is a damn good young dman, but lets not go overboard.

A good reminder that Montour is still our 4th-best defenceman, all things considered.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You win championships with guys like Montour. Good deal.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Its kinda scary to think by end of next season, fowler might be the 4th best defense for us.
If I was a ducks fan I would be scared too, about the aging forward core. Your d and goaltender are stacked and relatively young but the forwards are getting into the mid 30's and you have no bluechippers to replace them. Kinda worrying.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If I was a ducks fan I would be scared too, about the aging forward core. Your d and goaltender are stacked and relatively young but the forwards are getting into the mid 30's and you have no bluechippers to replace them. Kinda worrying.
Meh Perry and kesler have been gone for a while
Steel/lundestrum can be 2c/3c of the future... rakell/kase/comtois/Ritchie/jones/terry etc should make for decent enough wingers... getzlaf hopefully has a 2-3 more years left in him of elite play. Might lack an elite 1c, but outside of that the roster should be good enough to be playoff worthy... specially with that defense/goalie.

Then if Mahura/Larsson pan out, that makes 1 of Lindholm/fowler expendable if were in dire need for a center.

As always... RC is the big issue.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
Meh Perry and kesler have been gone for a while
Steel/lundestrum can be 2c/3c of the future... rakell/kase/comtois/Ritchie/jones/terry etc should make for decent enough wingers... getzlaf hopefully has a 2-3 more years left in him of elite play. Might lack an elite 1c, but outside of that the roster should be good enough to be playoff worthy... specially with that defense/goalie.

Then if Mahura/Larsson pan out, that makes 1 of Lindholm/fowler expendable if were in dire need for a center.

As always... RC is the big issue.

He won’t be coach after this season, book it. Either Eakins or Wilford will get promoted. Heck, Randy could get canned this season if they struggle up until December. Things are looking up

Reactions: Getz2perry

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He won’t be coach after this season, book it. Either Eakins or Wilford will get promoted. Heck, Randy could get canned this season if they struggle up until December. Things are looking up

Sadly, I think the roster is still good enough to linger around in limbo enough to last the bulk of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getz2perry

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

On the contrary ( and I don't mean this as a shot at the Oilers because they are far from the only example of this), the Ducks are looking quite nicely set up on defense & in net for many years to come, and those are the parts most retooling teams seem to struggle to solidify.

If I had to start a retool phase and choose to be short in one of the three areas, without a question I would easily choose the forward group to build from scratch. It's just easier to find high end forwards early in the draft.

Plus I don't think it's as bleak as you're making it out to be. Rakell is a young top line forward, and we should have no trouble filling out the middle six with the quality young forwards in the system. Definitely will need to pounce on any opportunity to land a young future first liner but those seem to come along more often than the D and goalies, generally speaking.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What would it take?

No interest in moving a young top 4 RHD for unproven prospects with middle six upside and other spare parts, really no interest in moving him at all for that matter.

It's not a "value of" thread, it's an announcement of his new contract. The Ducks have four D capable of playing top four minutes, no reason to think they're moving any of them.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Johnsson/Kapanen, Rosen, 2nd
For
Montour
At this point leaf fans have to be trolling... they cant honestly come into a ducks dmen thread and think a package of johnsson/kapanen rosen and a 2nd will get the job done.

You guys don't really make a good partner for a move for Montour... wed want an equal level forward at a young age... nylander is the closest fit but worth significantly more than Montour. Kapanen + 1st is prob an okay starter but no incentive for Anaheim to move Montour(or any of our 4 dmen) for anything less then a good top 6 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->