Confirmed with Link: [ANA] Ducks sign Anthony Stolarz (2 years, $750K AAV)

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
Seems odd to give him a one way with how husband career has gone. Average 3rd goalie

Didn’t somebody on the boards call this?

Edit: not changing that autocorrect lol. *His*

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Weird, with Boyle signed for another year. I am guessing that the Ducks have decided that Boyle is just not going to cut it even on a third goalie basis so they will try Stolarz. This will give the Ducks six goalies under contract, not including Dostal, so this would be a very strong indicator that the Ducks are not signing Durny this year.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one way just means he makes the same in the AHL as NHL? When he's in the AHL, he doesn't count against the cap. But I think he has to go through waivers at least once (not sure the exact rules there).

I've come to the conclusion that Bob likes to overpay these types of depth players and give an extra year of term so that other teams don't claim them off waivers when going back and forth between the NHL/AHL (they gave Holzer a two year deal before and shuttled him back and forth). If you think about it, its actually pretty smart as long as you like the player and are willing to pay for the depth which is never a bad idea for goalie/defense.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Maybe Bob should just sign 10 one way players for 700k each to have an AHL champion and depth galore... spend that 7 million and nothing else... seems like his new strategy.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Maybe Bob should just sign 10 one way players for 700k each to have an AHL champion and depth galore... spend that 7 million and nothing else... seems like his new strategy.

Obviously you're being sarcastic but what is your point? What is the problem with signing Stolarz? It's not like Boyle or Glass are NHL prospects (they wouldn't have added Johnson if they felt that way) and the ducks younger prospects are still a few years away. Stolarz basically replaces Johnson who made $1.75M. Having a decent NHL ready third goalie seems like a good idea given Gibson's injury history and Miller's age.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I take it that Jeff Glass is gone now?

Really curious as to how Stolarz fits into the team's plans. Are they thinking of going with 3 goalies in San Diego -- Boyle, Olle and now Stolarz? Don't think they'd send Olle back to Sweden for another year, would they...?

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I like them signing vets like this. Gives the young guys competition down in the AHL. Makes sure San Diego is competitive. Most importantly these guys are all vets who can show the young guys what it takes to make the NHL

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Obviously you're being sarcastic but what is your point? What is the problem with signing Stolarz? It's not like Boyle or Glass are NHL prospects (they wouldn't have added Johnson if they felt that way) and the ducks younger prospects are still a few years away. Stolarz basically replaces Johnson who made $1.75M. Having a decent NHL ready third goalie seems like a good idea given Gibson's injury history and Miller's age.

I’m ok with the signing. BM and the scouts must really like him to pencil him in as Millers successor. I don’t think many teams offer one way AHL contracts as frequently as our team does, especially 2 year offers.

I’m not being sarcastic about signing high upside 1 way contracts instead of offering ridiculous term or money. If we offered 10 of those we might get three Chiasson, Lehner, Mrazek, Tanev type of outcomes that might end up being core players. If not, we don’t resign them after a one year deal. It’s a better outcome than signing a Hayes to a 50 million 7 year deal for sure... and having to deal with trying to dump the player like a Kyle Turris.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Two years makes him out expansion draft goalie too

No it won't, the contract is a year too short for that.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

Reactions: pbgoalie

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
According to our roster, he will be wearing #32:

upload_2019-7-3_16-52-38.png

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
The 39 games he played with San Diego this year was the most he's played since his second season with the Phantoms in 2015-16. Is he back on track as a legitimate NHL prospect or is career trajectory that of a top AHL goalie/occassional callup?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The 39 games he played with San Diego this year was the most he's played since his second season with the Phantoms in 2015-16. Is he back on track as a legitimate NHL prospect or is career trajectory that of a top AHL goalie/occassional callup?

If Miller retires this offseason there’s speculation he will be given a shot to be the backup. I’m not overly sold on that being the case as since before Andersen was traded the Ducks have always had proven backups with a track record in the NHL. Gibson is a lot more durable than he was a few years ago but injuries are still a bit of a concern with him.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If Miller retires this offseason there’s speculation he will be given a shot to be the backup. I’m not overly sold on that being the case as since before Andersen was traded the Ducks have always had proven backups with a track record in the NHL. Gibson is a lot more durable than he was a few years ago but injuries are still a bit of a concern with him.

This is almost entirely just Ryan Miller, though. I'm sure they liked that Miller was a proven option but I'm sure they liked paying a small salary for a starting-calibre goalie a lot more.

They're not gonna keep bringing in high end backups forever. This also isn't 2017 anymore, Gibson's started 70% of the games for the third year in a row, it's not nearly as attractive of a job. Between all that and the budget-conscious nature of the team I'd say Stolarz is a great bet to start the year as Gibby's backup.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This is almost entirely just Ryan Miller, though. I'm sure they liked that Miller was a proven option but I'm sure they liked paying a small salary for a starting-calibre goalie a lot more.

They're not gonna keep bringing in high end backups forever. This also isn't 2017 anymore, Gibson's started 70% of the games for the third year in a row, it's not nearly as attractive of a job. Between all that and the budget-conscious nature of the team I'd say Stolarz is a great bet to start the year as Gibby's backup.

Bernier was a backup with a pretty good pedigree too. Not an ex great starter like Miller but an ex starter. It also seemed like management was very keen to bring Miller back after his last contract and is keen again to bring him back if he’s willing.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Bernier was a backup with a pretty good pedigree too. Not an ex great starter like Miller but an ex starter. It also seemed like management was very keen to bring Miller back after his last contract and is keen again to bring him back if he’s willing.

I wasn't ignoring him, I just don't think it's indicative of any kind of trend. I mean, I'm sure they don't at all mind having an experience backup, especially at that time, but things have changed a bit.

Miller was a great goalie, is still a very good backup and is a first rate human being, I'd hope they'd be keen to bring him back, especially when he's that cheap. But if he retires I really don't think they'll chase anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->