Confirmed Signing with Link: [ANA] Ben Hutton signs with the Ducks (1 year, $950K)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Happy for Ben. Probably doesn’t have to move.

Is he expected to play? Or is he depth to start?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Top 4 is set:

Lindholm, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Manson

A lot of options for the third pairing:

Larsson, Hakanpaa, Hutton, Mahura, Benoit, Curran, Welinski, Guhle (on LTIR).

Reactions: Masch78

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Good for him, always liked Hutton, a shame about arbitration, I would have liked to keep him in Vancouver.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good deal, likeable guy with some good ability.

Maybe he'll finally be cast appropriately. He was mostly just 'there' for the Kings last year, but they insisted on playing him as #2 and #3 often instead of as #4-6 where he'd absolutely excel. And if I'm not mistaken, seemed to be the case more often than not in Van, too (I'm sure some Canucks fans can correct me). Ducks seem to be able to afford that opportunity.

Last edited:

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Pretty funny dude. He had Doughty as a Secret Santa last year. Kings were in Calgary, so Hutton asked the equipment managers to have Tkachuk send over an autographed stick. Check out the Point Breakaway podcast with him if you have a subscription to the Athletic. Also told a hilarious story of how he got in Willie Dejardins (sp?) doghouse because he 'liked' a picture of Willie's daughter on Instagram.

Also, please go to Youtube and search for Ben Hutton lip-synch "Barbie". Vancouver hazing at its best.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Maybe he'll finally be cast appropriately. He was mostly just 'there' for the Kings last year, but they insisted on playing him as #2 and #3 often instead of as #4-6 where he'd absolutely excel. And if I'm not mistaken, seemed to be the case more often than not in Van, too (I'm sure some Canucks fans can correct me). Ducks seem to be able to afford that opportunity.

He should slot in on the 3rd pairing with Jacob Larsson, bumping Jani Hakanpaa to the 7th spot. Our top four is pretty clear cut (Lindholm, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Manson) and after that I'd say Hutton is #5 unless surpassed by someone unproven like Curran (taxi squad for now) or one of the younger D (Larsson, Mahura, Benoit + currently injured Guhle).

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Great 3rd pairing guy. Great contract, great deal.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Good for Benny, even tho I dont like the Ducks I wish him the best. I dont say that about many x Canucks but Hutton was a great guy for us. Wish it could have worked out with him here

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna

It was indeed the case in Vancouver. When Edler and Tanev were both injured one season, Green played Hutton as their #1, which is clearly well beyond his skillset. There were nights when he was getting 25 minutes... hard minutes. When the defense was healthy he had the unfortunate luck to be saddled with Gudbranson as his partner. When he was played in the appropriate role, and was not saddled with Gudbranson, his defensive advanced stats were night and day better. If he's used properly he's a good bottom pairing defensmen that can play well in all 3 zones.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

At the very highest, he would be a #4 (barring lots of injuries). If Manson doesn't work with Fowler, they might try him and Cam and drop Manson with someone else (or put him with Manson on the 3rd pairing). In all likelihood, he should be the #5 this season. Lindholm-Shat seem to be the top pair for the year (especially if the first game is an indication of how they'll play together) and Fowler is the clear #3.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
solid bottom pairing guy that can slot into the 2nd pairing. I'm glad he's still in the leauge. so right now it's literally

Horvat
Hutton
Cannouton as the players still alive from the gillis draft era.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good signing. Ducks need some depth for their bottom paring. If Manson can get his head out of his ass, might actually have a very good solid D-core, especially with Drysdale on the near horizon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad