Post-Game Talk: An uninspiring game

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Anybody attending this game that didn't go to the Lightning game instead has their own selves to blame. The Lightning game was not sold out and its the premium match of the year next to Colorado. The quality of play and entertainment was as good as NHL ever gets. it was on that level. Close to 1k tickets didn't sell. Going to this game against Columbus on a wednesday when the team had 3 days off to fall asleep on systems, this was going to be rust. As a game it was worse than that. The Oilers were playing a relegation level club and as you say played to level, albeit I thought the Oilres were far better except in goaltending. But yeah this kind of thing is common in sports and happens to all NHL clubs not called the Bruins. Thats the only club that isn't pissing games like this away.
Happens in all sports
I’ll tell you when another time it happens and I’ll mention Washington when they played in that shitty South East division. They would have it wrapped up in February and would then just coast. Come playoff time , they were not “playoff ready” and would be eliminated 1st round . I remember LA going in as a wildcard and having to fight to get in. They won cup

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Speaking to the Vezina type goaltending from lower teams.Played some goal in the old days,average to below average goaltender on an equally average to below average teams.Was certainly a lot less pressure playing the top teams as far more relaxed as we weren’t expected to win so less finger pointing.Turned out to be my best games as being more stress free I stayed out of my head more.A few good saves early always produced more jam in the rest of our team.The best teams always didn’t have the same jump as when I watched them play equal or better teams.Anyway,the way that I see it.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
And that's surprises you? Horrible last 2 goals against by skinner
That last goal in OT looked like Mike Smith against Colorado last spring. On his knees reaching for a puck, sad. But he’s played great this year, he’ll bounce back.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Ha but I never know with all the vpn blockers and location tracking through these money grubbing sob sports networks!

;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Might just be my perception, but I feel like the team plays much better in front of Campbell defensively than they do Skinner. Thinking back anecdotally I'm pretty sure the vast majority of our pathetic efforts this year have been in front of Skinner. It's the only way it makes sense that Campbell wins more games despite having not even close to the same numbers statistically.

Why? IMO it goes back to the team taking shortcuts when they feel they can. They know Campbell was struggling so they know they can't give up more looks than they need to. Skinner in net? Well now we can cheat. Don't think it's a conscious thing, but subconsciously this team loves shortcuts.
The team plays better defensively or at least looks better defensively when we have a defencemen that can actually defend in his own end. We have only one of those kind and he got hurt in yesterdays game. It’s embarrassing that this teams fortunes seem to hinge on Vinnie Desharnais but it is what it is.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ha but I never know with all the vpn blockers and location tracking through these money grubbing sob sports networks!
Yea you are right. I live 50/50 between Cda and US, you figure out ways. But it is bothersome to stay updated as to how you can work it to watch games. Some apps no matter what you do don’t work cross border like TSN and ESPN. I have some duplicate services as a result.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So, when we play top notch caliber opponents in a condensed period of time, and we struggle (as in earlier this season) it's because it's too taxing.
Now, when we hardly play, and go up against teams at the bottom end of the scale, and we struggle, it's because of rust and taking them for granted.

I don't get it. Where does the perfect world exist that this team requires?

Last edited:

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
That last goal in OT looked like Mike Smith against Colorado last spring. On his knees reaching for a puck, sad. But he’s played great this year, he’ll bounce back.
He has played solid, Campbell has been great lately to. The problem with both of them is they are either lights out or complete funnels there is no in between. And goals like these have killed us all season. We don't need all star goaltending we can out score any one
We need consistency which we haven't got unfortunately

Reactions: Dieseloil

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah Mcleod half heartedly attempting to clear puck out of danger there essentially just makes it harder, but puck was still there to be grabbed. But focus on the Mcleod aspect is good reply. As others have mentioned Barrie and McLeod weren't helping there. Thanks for the exchange.

Anytime. Diff't perspectives are good and I hadn't seen the other angles.

A play like that is proof-positive for why goalies "are crazy". Your comment about the "stand-off" as being Skinner's mistake is accurate, but that level of mistake?... Man if every player held themselves to that level of perfection you'd have a pretty damn good team every night.

I mean how many times do you think McLeod has been told to box out attackers? How many times has Barrie been told "never push an attacker into your own goalie". These guys know better.

If one of the three players deserves the "easier said than done" exception for their behavior, it certainly isn't number 22 or 73.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Not sure if this has been posted but it's so true!

FB_IMG_1674835482301.jpg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You been able to catch the games over there?? So cool!

Yeah ESPN and TNT each had a game on National broadcasts so we could watch on the telly and the rest we watched on ESPN+ on my large iPad. Was great! Plenty of celebratory rums were drunk.

what kind of coach runs a skills competition on such a long break? What about the system and the processes? keep them in game shape ffs

Lets not forget that we have 13/14 points in our last 7 and 1st in the WC is within reach. One off game isnt the end of the world

Because Woody is smarter than the average bear. He also had an optional the day of the game so he broke up the rhythm players get into.

He also reverted to the long pass and chip and broke up the RNH Kostin Janmark line.

Worked great didn’t it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Just came to post that Wednesday was the worst I have ever seen Leon Draisaitl play. He must have had an amazing Tuesday night, because he was completely useless out there. The rest of the team was also bad, but he was terrible on a different level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad