OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Happy easter all! Hope everyone's day was less awkward than mine lol.

Getting married to a romantic catholic girl...never been confirmed so we are jumping through hoops. Our priest suggested we attend a special easter service with his "ordinariate" following because if we joined he could confirm me one on one (ad I can' be properly confirmed before the wedding in September). So we loaded up both families and headed to his easter service...

There was about 13 other people there. All their customs etc were different from a Catholic service. To be father in law sits us front row...we couldn't even see the few people behind us to copy there mannerism/when to sit and stand etc. Most awkward hour of my life...

Reactions: Vito_81

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Maybe that's why I've had a such tough time selling my Mazda 3. Sadly I've decided to buy the one car brand and model you simply cannot get a good deal on due to the huge ass waiting list. Oh well, it's pay full retail or wait another 2 years.

I’ve been trying to sell my 2013 Mazda 3 too, I canny believe the complete lack of interest from serious buyers.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I start day one of my new gig in the morning. I'll be joining you commuting suckers again, but it was worth the big change for a step up and a four day work week, that I'm justifying is like gaining an extra 49 vacation days. The family'll soon escape this concrete jungle and be back to the farm--the land of trees, open fields, no visible neighbors, and disastrous internet.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I'm gonna be a daddy (again) today!
Congratulations!
3.5yo boy has been sweet our 7m girl from minute one of their introduction (and she's the only one who gets this special consideration) and the girl drives herself crazy with happiness staring at her brother. She wants to stand up, and just take off running after him. That's not happening yet.

Reactions: Sabretooth

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I’ve been trying to sell my 2013 Mazda 3 too, I canny believe the complete lack of interest from serious buyers.

I purchased a 16 Mazda CX3 Grand Touring, and absolutely love it. Fully loaded, leather seats, moonroof, 7 speaker Bose surround system, 38 MPG gas mileage, AWD, sporty look, pearl white. All for 18,000. Just need a roof rack. The only negative is it being a little small. It was between this and the Subaru crosstrek but it was an extra $5,000 for less upgrades because of the name.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I purchased a 16 Mazda CX3 Grand Touring, and absolutely love it. Fully loaded, leather seats, moonroof, 7 speaker Bose surround system, 38 MPG gas mileage, AWD, sporty look, pearl white. All for 18,000. Just need a roof rack. The only negative is it being a little small. It was between this and the Subaru crosstrek but it was an extra $5,000 for less upgrades because of the name.

I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna sell the truck and stick it out with the Mazda 3 for another year or two, then I’ll definitely look at one of those crossover type vehicles that’s efficient on fuel.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
How everyone feel about paying off stuff with 0% interest early just to get the payments done? Pointless or good idea?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna sell the truck and stick it out with the Mazda 3 for another year or two, then I’ll definitely look at one of those crossover type vehicles that’s efficient on fuel.

I think part of the issue is the time of year. At least in the northeast, Q1 is pretty meh for car sales. Mazda's are nice cars. We got my wife a CX-9 last year, and she loves it even though she didn't like driving my Mazda 3. To give you a bit of hope, in theory I'm selling my Mazda 3 tomorrow....though I've already had one buyer back out on me.

I like the CX3 but its interior is TINY. My mazda 3 has a lot more more. It looks like a pretty fun car though.

How everyone feel about paying off stuff with 0% interest early just to get the payments done? Pointless or good idea?

Typically, it's better to do be done with debt, even the interest free variety. I'd say the argument for keeping debt that you can payoff is:

-You are saving for something that requires cash and you will be able to add more to it by keeping the low/no interest debt longer.
-You don't have an adequate emergency fund

Besides that, get rid of the debt. It's an anchor.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
1. Pay down debt costing you interest before you pay down 0% interest debt.
2. Is your debt really 0% or did you pay an origination fee? i.e., did $10k at 0% interest cost you $400? If yes, that's actually a 4% "interest" up front. But it's a sunk cost, so too late now.
3. Are you maxing out any employer-matched savings plans? (I know you're Canadian, and I don't know what the private pensions are in Canada vs. provincial / national plans.) Before I'd pay back 0% interest, I'd max out any employer plans where they will match your contributions up to a certain maximum %. After that point, I'd continue to contribute to those employer savings plans beyond the max match, if your contributions continue to be before-tax, thereby reducing your total net tax and increasing your total net pay.
4. After that, I'd pay off 0% debt if you know you're at risk for having the cash flow to do so down the road. i.e., if you have $10k at 0% interest which must be paid in full by e.g., April 2019, else interest will become due, and you don't have the cash in a liquid investment (savings, easily salable stock, etc.) and you're concerned you could lose a significant portion of your monthly cash flow (job loss, job furlough, loss of substantial overtime), then I'd consider paying down the 0% loan more aggressively, or paying it off.
5. If it's a vehicle loan, that's a tougher call, because the vehicle is going to keep depreciating. If you think you can sell it at some point for a reasonable return, you may want to delay paying off the 0% interest, because you'd be paying it off in future dollars which in concept are worth less in an inflationary environment. But that might be more headache than some people want to entertain.

6. If you're savvy at investing, and/or you believe taking the monthly payment, or the monthly excess payment if desiring to pay it down faster, can get a positive return in the market over the same timeframe, I'd consider investing the payment or at least the "extra" payment, and then paying off the loan when it is truly due. However, I probably wouldn't do that if I didn't have some dry powder cash/savings sitting around. I also probably wouldn't do it if I had young kids or a strong possibility of incurring an uncovered medical expense (which may be more of an American risk than a Canadian one).

7. If you don't have good (enough) insurance, I'd consider beefing up your insurance with some or all of that monthly "extra" payment, rather than paying down the loan as fast as you can. If you're young/single/no kids, though, I'd probably ignore and pay it off.

8. Another option is to get a loan with interest, where the interest is deductible, for the principal amount of what you still owe, and insuring the payment will be less than or equal to what you pay now. With the interest deducted, it would be a net annual greater cash flow to do it that way, but that's a unique set of hoops you'd need to jump through to have that circumstance work out.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Sold my truck for $2500 more then I paid for it which ended up being close to a wash after taxes :)

I want a crossover but I’m gonna take my time in finding the right one, I’m accepting recommendations

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sold my truck for $2500 more then I paid for it which ended up being close to a wash after taxes :)

I want a crossover but I’m gonna take my time in finding the right one, I’m accepting recommendations

Tesla model Y. You’ll be waiting awhile though.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I use the 0% interest deals as free loans especially at Newegg, also did it when i furnished my house. I just divide it out by how many months and schedule all the payments ahead of time. But my only real debt is my mortgage. Havent paid interest on a credit card since the end of 2011, and finished off my student loans at the end of 2014.

Reactions: brian_griffin

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I like the CX3 but its interior is TINY. My mazda 3 has a lot more more. It looks like a pretty fun car though.

It is a little bit on the small end in the back seat. But it is so much fun to drive. It's very sporty, has manual shift mode which is awesome! This is the one I got, fully loaded. Pirelli tires with 18" chrome rims. The AWD is amazing, I drove through 3 feet of snow in December in Hamburg like nothing. I need to get a roof rack, anyone have recommendations?

2018-Mazda-CX-3-front-three-quarter.jpg

2018_Mazda_CX-3_interior_6.jpg

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
That cx-3 looks pretty nice, is the cx-5 the same thing just bigger? I think ill want something bigger then that for my next vehicle. btw my Mazda 3 feels like driving a pop can since going back from the Sierra 1500, but it's still a nice car.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
That cx-3 looks pretty nice, is the cx-5 the same thing just bigger? I think ill want something bigger then that for my next vehicle. btw my Mazda 3 feels like driving a pop can since going back from the Sierra 1500, but it's still a nice car.

The cx5 is much bigger but not as sporty. I absolutely love driving my cx3. The 5 is your typical suv in same class as Honda CR-V and Toyota rav 4. If you’re looking for best of both worlds go with Subaru crosstrek

Last edited:

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Anybody aware of any good promotions for applying for a new credit card? We're trying to plan a family vacation and I figure I might as well cash in on a promotion instead of dumping it on the old BoA card. Their reward system blows.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Anybody aware of any good promotions for applying for a new credit card? We're trying to plan a family vacation and I figure I might as well cash in on a promotion instead of dumping it on the old BoA card. Their reward system blows.
Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great place to start.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Chase Disney visas credit 1,2,3% depending on type of spend in Disney gift cards/points if you think you want to go that route.

Colleague of mine used Amex for rewards. He has moved out west, don't know what the current reward benefits are, or if he still does that. I used to admonish him for using his personal AMEX for company expenses - I knew what game he was playing.

Do a web search.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad