An Idiot's 1-14 2004 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
KeyserSoze81 said:
The one gaping need of this team is top 4 defense prospects. My guess is that one of Valabik, Green, or O'Neil will be taken, with the highest chance being Valabik.

The guy is a giant, who apparently uses his size effectively for his age.

Thank you for being the first on this thread to mention VALABREAK-YOUR-FACE.

This guy just loves to hit- no DESTROY -, and at 6'6", watch out, he's a monster. Project or no, if he fell all the way to 18th, the Habs should snap him up in an instant. Right now I'm witnessing the embyonic stages of Komisarek's career and if the Habs could just get another d-man like that!

If Minnesota is so unsure as to what to do at #12, then the Habs should definately dangle one of their offensive prospects in front of the Wild, and maybe one of their two 3rd rounders, or a pick next year to move up ahead of Buffalo and get VALABIK.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
KeyserSoze81 said:
The one gaping need of this team is top 4 defense prospects. After snatching up the lazy but offensively talented Vanek last year, Regier and co. will not pass up a defenseman with high potential. My guess is that one of Valabik, Green, or O'Neil will be taken, with the highest chance being Valabik.

The guy is a giant, who apparently uses his size effectively for his age. The team has three decent young D-man as it is. Kalinin is the future #1 most likely, and Tallinder and Jillson are possible two-way blueliners. The prospects are thin, with Ezhov as a solid all around D-man, Paetsch as a big offensive question mark, and a few very mediocre depth D-men.

With the hope that the D-corps reaches part of its offensive potential, I think Regier will take Valabik. He's probably a project, but 6'6" for a defenseman is a nice quality to have. Mike Green's scouting reports remind me of Dion Phaneuf-lite. Obviously, Im just going off of writeups, but similar things are being said about him as Dion last year. Gritty WHL D-man with some offensive ability, although a bit small (5'10 I believe). (Im going off memory, so forgive me if Im sketchy on the details)

Anyways, those are just my thoughts. Id be fine if they draft the BPA in the first round and focus on defense for the remainder (a la last year with offensive d-men).

Thanks for the comments. I am not aware of most team's prospect situations (just basics for many teams), so I didn't know about the lack of defensive prospects. However, you did mention all three of Kalinen, Jillson, and Tallinder, all three of whom I think are pretty good, and all three are young.. So I factored that in when making the selection.

Picard is a good player, and I think the Sabres could use a guy like this. But you bring up good points and I could see them opting for one of the "big 3" defensemen if they slip, or the monster in Valabik. But I'm guessing that Valabik will be taken at some point in the middle, a little after when the Sabres pick.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Also, I did some more reading on Wolski and I found what you were referring to Edge, and I remember reading it (in one of the redlines) earlier in the year. I guess it slipped my mind.

He has high potential and I would still draft him around where I have him going, maybe even a little higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad