Value of: An exercise: Buy low players with upside.

patrick

Feb 10, 2012
Seems like every team out there right now has one or two players who either can't crack the opening day lineup or are maybe forced into the lineup due to financial obligations. Some of these guys are highly skilled but for a myriad of different reasons, character, effort, speed, smarts, etc. could be a better fit with another team. Maybe one gets moved for a positional need or another for a, "change of scenery," move. Who on do you all see as players who fit this bill?

I'll go for the Isles:
Brock Nelson - expiring contract to UFA shown to be a legit NHL player but serious weaknesses are that he is streaky and somewhat soft.

Josh HoSang - character issues. Isles seem to win more with him in the lineup but it appears that even with a new regime there are questions about his ability to contribute on the NHL level. Young and fast.

Andrew Ladd - Bad contract. Limited by injuries but a proven leader and could help a good team turn the corner. NMC but would likely welcome move to a contender.

What is the value of players like this? What other players in the league have a similar organizational status that could see them moved?

Not necessarily looking for trade proposals but curious to compile a pool of players from all teams around the league in similar situations. Please don't let this devolve into a pissing match.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
S

I'll go for the Isles:
Brock Nelson - expiring contract to UFA shown to be a legit NHL player but serious weaknesses are that he is streaky and somewhat soft.

Josh HoSang - character issues. Isles seem to win more with him in the lineup but it appears that even with a new regime there are questions about his ability to contribute on the NHL level. Young and fast.

Andrew Ladd - Bad contract. Limited by injuries but a proven leader and could help a good team turn the corner. NMC but would likely welcome move to a contender.
h.

Isles are not selling low on JHS

JHS: Unlikely to be dealt at this point because he did have a good camp, but was blocked by a glut of vets, several of whom are ufas in July...Lee,Eberle, Nelson, Flippula.
Below are Lou's JHS comments.

Ho-Sang, Dal Colle among latest cuts from Islanders' training camp

Nelson: Looks like he will start the season as the #2C, with Barzal moving up tp the top line. I doubt he is moved before getting several months audition in this role. He is a ufa in July,so it would not be surprising if he is moved by the TDL.

Ladd: Owed $23m over the next 5 seasons. Injured all training camp.
Isles are about $7m- $10m below the cap ceiling and have no cap issues.
Isles will not give up significant assets to move Ladd who does not have to be protected in the expansion draft.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Leivo I guess? produces when he plays, but doesn't get to play much. 6'2" heavy on the puck and takes a lot of shots. Babcock hasn't been a fan of him for whatever reason. That looks to be changing to start the year, but we'll see what happens when Nylander signs.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Might be a good time for another team to buy low on Milano. Has all the skill in the world but just can't quite put it all together. It's entirely possible he gets passed up by Stenlund or Davidsson this year.

Reactions: CBJFan827

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The problem with an "I've unlocked the secrets to the NHL universe -- just buy low!" theorem is that it's incumbent on teams to be willing to sell low for this to play out. Frequently GMs refuse to sell low, even when in a bind and when players underperform. No one wants to sell low on talented players, and usually it's in your power to retain them and wait until their value rises again.

This contributes to the GMs' tendency not to trade except 1) in the offseason, and 2) at the trade deadline. There are only a handful of trades at other times of the year.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
The problem with an "I've unlocked the secrets to the NHL universe -- just buy low!" theorem is that it's incumbent on teams to be willing to sell low for this to play out. Frequently GMs refuse to sell low, even when in a bind and when players underperform. No one wants to sell low on talented players, and usually it's in your power to retain them and wait until their value rises again.

This contributes to the GMs' tendency not to trade except 1) in the offseason, and 2) at the trade deadline. There are only a handful of trades at other times of the year.

This is 100% accurate and GMs holding on the prospects that arent working out because they dont want to sell low is a reason why so many young careers fail. By the time they get their much needed change of scenery its often too late.

Josh Lievo in Toronto has had fans saying hes ready for NHL minutes for a couple of years, yet hes still buried. Yakupov should have been traded sooner to have a second chance.

Justin Schultz was traded for low value despite originally being a hot commodity and it saved/revived his career but then Edmonton looks like they've lost. GMs would rather not lose a trade than try and salvage a career.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This is 100% accurate and GMs holding on the prospects that arent working out because they dont want to sell low is a reason why so many young careers fail. By the time they get their much needed change of scenery its often too late.

Josh Lievo in Toronto has had fans saying hes ready for NHL minutes for a couple of years, yet hes still buried. Yakupov should have been traded sooner to have a second chance.

Justin Schultz was traded for low value despite originally being a hot commodity and it saved/revived his career but then Edmonton looks like they've lost. GMs would rather not lose a trade than try and salvage a career.

Prospects eventually run out of ahl waiver options and teams have to either keep them on the nhl roster or risk losing them for nothing, so I disagree that we see a ton of prospects nhl careers ruined, by GMs refusing to sell low.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Gustav Olofsson

Nick Seeler took his spot and ran with it and is a regular in the lineup.

Olofsson was supposed to reach that level last year but failed (injuries didn't help his cause either). He also seems to struggle even more when he is forced to sit in the press box waiting for a chance, which makes Prosser and Murphy more valuable than him.

Ultimately I think Olofsson does have an NHL future, but just can't get past those ahead of him in the lineup anymore.

He needs a change of scenery to get the chance he will need.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
More than other sports NHL gms seem to fall in love with their own ideas.

There should be more 1 for 1 swaps but they don’t seem to happen often.

Maybe it’s a CBA thing? I don’t know. But underperforming guys certainly don’t stick around in the system very long in the NFL.

Unless it’s the Steelers. And a corner. Then you can never make a tackle all season and keep your job. Forever.

Reactions: OmniCube

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
Anthony Duclair seems like that guy. He has the talent but can't connect the dots consistently. I don't think Columbus is going to be the right fit for him either.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I think the Habs should get something for Scherbak. He has the talent but the effort level is just not there on a consistent basis, and the Habs have no room on wing for him anymore.

Reactions: strongcomp05

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
If you want experience, and loads of talent dirt cheap, practically a steal, just call the Oilers and ask for Lucic. The bounce back he’s been gearing towards could propel him to hit 100 points!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anthony Duclair seems like that guy. He has the talent but can't connect the dots consistently. I don't think Columbus is going to be the right fit for him either.
yeah, but he has been that guy for every year the past three years

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Gustav Olofsson

Nick Seeler took his spot and ran with it and is a regular in the lineup.

Olofsson was supposed to reach that level last year but failed (injuries didn't help his cause either). He also seems to struggle even more when he is forced to sit in the press box waiting for a chance, which makes Prosser and Murphy more valuable than him.

Ultimately I think Olofsson does have an NHL future, but just can't get past those ahead of him in the lineup anymore.

He needs a change of scenery to get the chance he will need.
would love him on habs

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

And the corollary to this is that in the situations in which a GM is willing to sell how, it's typically because of an overvalued contract that other teams do not want to take on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->