News Article: An excellent inspirational Hab fan story from England

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
I mostly try to take a mental break from the Habs in the summer...

... however this excellent story on the Canadiens by Ryan Ferguson, of England, got me completely pumped as I was reading it over my morning coffee.

Here it is:

Enjoy it everyone.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...iens/british-fan-worships-canadiens-from-afar

Yes indeed... needless to say, the elusive Stanley Cup #25 would completely blow the roof off this city of ours. :yo:

This event would be insanely over-the-top and larger than life... turning current Hab players into living immortals... all while resurrecting the hallowed ghosts of Montreal Canadiens legends of times past.

Nice writing, Ryan.

Welcome on board :)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Surprisingly good read. Love that the Habs are followed around the world. You can go literally anywhere and find a Habs fan. That's not something you can say for most sports fans, let alone hockey fans.

Still remember meeting multiple Habs fans in the two times I've been to Europe.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
It was an enjoyable read, but I thought there was definitely some hyperbole and flowery/descriptive language. Given what we read on HfBoards daily, in blogs and on the radio, the hardcore fans probably feel more cynical and jaded compared to this piece that is filled with hope and optimism.

I love the Habs for many of the same reasons he wrote about, but it makes me sad that the current team is nothing like the teams that we fell in love with. Michel Therrien's defensive approach has also made the games somewhat unwatchable in recent years.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
It was an enjoyable read, but I thought there was definitely some hyperbole and flowery/descriptive language. Given what we read on HfBoards daily, in blogs and on the radio, the hardcore fans probably feel more cynical and jaded compared to this piece that is filled with hope and optimism.

I love the Habs for many of the same reasons he wrote about, but it makes me sad that the current team is nothing like the teams that we fell in love with. Michel Therrien's defensive approach has also made the games somewhat unwatchable in recent years.

Winning Cup #25 will do wonders to cure any cynicism out there. :)

Dec 2, 2010
Winning Cup #25 will do wonders to cure any cynicism out there. :)
Nice try. I think a 5-year dynasty wouldn't be enough. See: Cap Hell threads.

Always nice to hear about fans from all 4 corners. Time difference is a pain I understand. You're damned if you like a cross-ocean sport.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

His peice reminded me of when I was a kid. Those days, you don't worry so much about the coach or management. You just hoped that the good guys wearing the CH will prevail each and every single time. I don't recall "hating" any players back then, but I just wanted to see everyone do well for the sake of the team.

I think that's the stage where the most fun is had by the fan. Naturally, the older and more devoted that you get, the more cynical you become. I know this guy is likely not that young, but he's still in his infancy as a fan.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Pretty cool read, thanks for sharing.

The Habs have been trying to market the team worldwide, I'm sure Kevin Gilmore is happy to see those 'foreign' fans stand out!

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I can't say I enjoyed reading this. Like Tricolore#20 said, it was filled with hyperbole and flowery/descriptive language.

It's almost corny and not something you'd associate with a story about a sport.

So you became a fan of a sport that's not very popular in England, followed the team's news and read up on its history. What's the big deal?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Nice to see the Habs fame hasn't regressed over the years, people still being touched by the awesomeness of the legions of Habs faithful devotees.(Fanatics!!!) As a fan that has probably read more than 90% of every article/book ever written about them,(maybe an exaggeration?) and a Hockey fan that never passes up an opportunity too watch the Habs or any of the Great Team Canada's WJHC, WHC, Olympic, Canada Cup, Stanley Cup or World Cup events. The Habs are the greatest Hockey team, with the greatest history in a Canadian Sport. Without prejudice to any other sport, Hockey is by far the best sport combining speed, talent, teammates, ruggedness, with heart and soul types of players that endure many hard years to deliver entertainment extraordinaire to hockey fans worldwide. No small wonder indeed that people whose love of the game gravitate to the team (Montreal Canadiens) considered to be the epitome of greatness in hockey,IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I can't say I enjoyed reading this. Like Tricolore#20 said, it was filled with hyperbole and flowery/descriptive language.

It's almost corny and not something you'd associate with a story about a sport.

So you became a fan of a sport that's not very popular in England, followed the team's news and read up on its history. What's the big deal?

You must be a riot at parties...

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Where do I need to sign for a 10$ donation to give that person a chance to witness a game in Montréal: a game + two-way ticket LCY - YUL + a hotel room= about 1500$. We need 149 more volunteers ;)

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
You must be a riot at parties...

You must be the guy who thinks everything is hilarious at parties. :laugh:

I just don't see what the big deal is. I've known guys that were working in Dubai that got up at 3:00am, found a stream, watched the game and went to work after. You don't see anyone gushing over them or writing stories about them.

I'm sorry if that offends your sense of what's a great story or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad