An example of why the league can't sell the sport.

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019
Best thing would be to make the game more predictable. So a penalty is a penalty from game to game. You can have a few outliers, but as long as an average fan would say “no way would they give them the 5 on 3 for that” it would be fine. Consistency and some predictability, “game management” is what ruins the betting, and betting really boosts ratings. (Betting on the over/under, how many pp for a game etc, not just win loose)

Reactions: Mbraunm

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
If you make the most milk toast and boring player in the league the "face of the league" for a good decade you generate a problem.
Sometimes the "best player" isn't the best player to promote the game. Not saying you want to make a guy like Sean Avery your poster boy because "he's gonna say something controversial and exciting" , but can we move on from trying to push down players down peoples throat that try to play politics in every interview they do?

PR management needs to stop teaching these players that "if you stay middle of the road you will be most marketable" and instead tell them "it's okay to have an opinion".

What would be the benefit to having an opinion?

They don’t get paid millions for opinions. They’re paid to do crazy things on the ice.

Here’s how you market hockey:

show an uninterrupted, 30 second sequence that ends with a spectacular goal, save or hit. No commentary, just crowd noise and player reactions.

smash cut to “the NHL on ESPN”.

Show, don’t tell.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
What a golden opportunity the NHL had to sell the sport when Suppan led Nashville to the Final. Instead, we had the likes of Mike Milburry call him a clown and whine about the unwritten rules of hockey. It’s like they can’t get out of their own way.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
They should try to appeal to inter city kids/ minorities and push the general "started from the bottom now we here stories "if they want to grow the game but that's just my opinion. Kids can't relate to guys like Marner or McDavid growing up but many can relate to a guy like Bobby Ryan or athletes like LeBron James. That's just my opinion but I could never relate to a guy like Mcdavid. Obviously that shouldn't even matter and the product should be the number one selling point but as you guys can see that's not working out so well

Reactions: Ridge1982

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
They should try to appeal to inter city kids/ minorities and push the general "started from the bottom now we here stories "if they want to grow the game but that's just my opinion. Kids can't relate to guys like Marner or McDavid growing up but many can relate to a guy like Bobby Ryan or athletes like LeBron James. That's just my opinion but I could never relate to a guy like Mcdavid. Obviously that shouldn't even matter and the product should be the number one selling point but as you guys can see that's not working out so well
No disrespect - but Montreal is a far cry from Detroit/Chicago/NY/Philly/LA/St.Louis with regards to disposable income and opportunity to play at the grass roots level.

There are some programs - yeah - but not like you would see in Canada.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No disrespect - but Montreal is a far cry from Detroit/Chicago/NY/Philly/LA/St.Louis with regards to disposable income and opportunity to play at the grass roots level.

There are some programs - yeah - but not like you would see in Canada.
Oh I agree 100% but i'm talking more about the United States. I don't think Cities like Montreal or Toronto have a hard time selling the game :laugh:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Oh I agree 100% but i'm talking more about the United States. I don't think Cities like Montreal or Toronto have a hard time selling the game :laugh:
My point being is - I see you are in Montreal - it's a different world when compared to the vast majority of large urban areas here in Murica.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007

Canada, 2,860 arenas, US 1,550. Michigan 99 hockey arenas. Minnesota has 236, Mass. 102, and NY 106. This is based on a 2014 file I found. Ontario has 1,018 rinks.

So, more people, fewer rinks, economics demand prices rise. How will you get get them into the game short of giving free equipment and ice time? Which would only serve to distort the market and drive prices up even higher.

It's hard to get people into a game they have no hope of playing.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This sport struggles marketing itself because all of its big name players McDavid, Matthews, Ovi, Crosby, Draisaitl (minus Mackinnon) are eliminated immediately. Other guys like Kane and Panarin didn't even make it. Imagine the NBA playoffs if Lebron, Curry, Giannis, Harden etc all went home in the first round?
that would be based because the NBA is a product of losers and weak minded men.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The league can't just market player's addiction struggles as a story at will. The player comes out with it in their own time and should get to decide how much of a spectacle they want it to be.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
So, more people, fewer rinks, economics demand prices rise. How will you get get them into the game short of giving free equipment and ice time?

Not to mention that the NHL has no ability to do this. Nor do they care. They want people to watch the games, buy the tickets, and load up on merchandise.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I'm fan with where the league as. I don't care if it's the most popular sport in the world or not.

Last season's fiasco cancelling games and trying to get into a conversation that had nothing to do with sports was as close to the "big leagues" as I want to get. I hope we never go back to that embarrassing time where we followed suit of the NBA.

I'm proud we don't have any stars posting on social media targeting a police officer. I'd rather have stars be in less commercials and be less "promoted" and have the game stay as is than have more NHL players ranting and raving about how cops are terrible, posting in clubs with drinks, or acting like a total ass on social media and the game goes huge.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Maybe not the most popular opinion but 2-1 scores are a HUGE turnoff for me. I don't like watching low scoring games. I watch basketball and even in the playoffs we see scores going in the low 100s. Why would I want to watch a defense clearing the puck every single time to protect their goalie instead? I'm not saying scores in hockey need to be 50-49 but at least more 6-5 games would make this sport more interesting and exciting.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Oh who gives a shit

the NBA is full of divas who care more about their brand than winning games. Hockey players don’t care about the spotlight and that’s how it should be.

the whole “please watch our sport” crowd is so weird to me, as long as you love hockey then who really cares that it’s not popular all over the place.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
that would be based because the NBA is a product of losers and weak minded men.
I'm sorry but I find this take offensive. Why would you say NBA is full of that? These players attract A LOT more fans than NHL. How many fans does even a tier B star like Lowry/Derozan/Morant/Draymond/Randle attract compared to S tiers like Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid? Don't start calling NBA players weak.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Not to mention that the NHL has no ability to do this. Nor do they care. They want people to watch the games, buy the tickets, and load up on merchandise.

I would agree for the most part. The only argument I would posit against it would be the fact that if it could be shown that getting people playing would increase the items you list, it could be a worthwhile investment. It's easy to play some hoops and get an appreciation for the game. It's relatively easy to play baseball. Even having a bit of a 3-on-3 backyard football can give you some sense of it. Maybe roller hockey can give you the same sense, but hockey is a tough game to appreciate without having had some type of exposure. I grew up watching hockey, but never put on equipment until my late 20s, so never played anything competitive. I learned a whole new appreciation for the game, despite over 20 years of watching it.

Would the economics work? I don't know. Would the NHL have enough foresight to even try something if they did? Highly unlikely. But I do think, in the US especially, more people playing hockey would lead to more paying customers. But if there is nowhere to play, they are behind the eight ball off the hop.

Reactions: BOS358

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
I still remember how Ovechkin was marketed as a dumb selfish Ivan Drago type. How mad people were about his mirrored visor and yellow laces, lol. My kids loved that stuff, they thought it was so cool. The NHL never truly capitalized on his bigger than life personality. Instead, we had Crosby shoved down our throats for a decade. At least there is some progress. Matthews is different. Pasta is different. They are both marketed pretty well. Happy to see even small improvement.

Last edited:

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002

But isn't that what makes him interesting? I can relate to my friends, my family, and my peers... that's all lovely and perfectly ordinary, but is it interesting? Jordan was the star of the Bulls documentary because he was extraordinary.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I'm sorry but I find this take offensive. Why would you say NBA is full of that? These players attract A LOT more fans than NHL. How many fans does even a tier B star like Lowry/Derozan/Morant/Draymond/Randle attract compared to S tiers like Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid? Don't start calling NBA players weak.

nba players are the softest athletes of all time, Paul Pierce needed a wheelchair for a separated shoulder lmfao. Also your point has nothing to do with what he said, who cares if they attract fans NBA players are soft, and constantly take days off for “load management” from the rigors jogging around a court. Not to mention queen James quitting on his team because they were losing, poster boy for how soft that league is now.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
nba players are the softest athletes of all time, Paul Pierce needed a wheelchair for a separated shoulder lmfao.
I mean you do have a point on this sure but there's a reason why NBA is more popular than the NHL despite NBA players being "softer". NBA lost A LOT of popularity in the 70s with all the physical play and in the Pacers 2004 brawl. So I guess it's safe to say softer brings in more fans/money.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I mean you do have a point on this sure but there's a reason why NBA is more popular than the NHL despite NBA players being "softer". NBA lost A LOT of popularity in the 70s with all the physical play and in the Pacers 2004 brawl. So I guess it's safe to say softer brings in more fans/money.

It’s more popular because it’s easier to follow and basketball is much more accessible sport than hockey, it’s not rocket science. NBA currently is hemorrhaging viewers each year and right now it’s a horrible league with the most unlikeable star in sports as its face. Once LeBron retires maybe the league will get back to where it used to be.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
It’s more popular because it’s easier to follow and basketball is much more accessible sport than hockey, it’s not rocket science. NBA currently is hemorrhaging viewers each year and right now it’s a horrible league with the most unlikeable star in sports as its face. Once LeBron retires maybe the league will get back to where it used to be.
I mean controversy is what adds additional fans. Whether that's good or bad. But even if NBA keeps dying, in how many years could NHL surpass that? At least in Canada the basketball popularity is soaring AF while hockey has remained probably stagnant. The reason people hate Lebron was because of rings argument and superteams.

Do hockey fans blab about Ovechkin/Crosby's rings and on whether they'd join superteams? No. Maybe if they did more often, we'd see the greatest team assembled. I am not a big hockey fan but I'd certainly kill to watch these 2 players form a godly duo (similar to Durant/Curry).

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
The concept of “super teams” won’t exist in hockey and I’m glad it won’t. The only time it really ever happened was the 2002 Red Wings and thankfully the NHL instituted a salary cap so it won’t ever happen again. You also can’t get away with loading up your team with 2-3 star players because hockey is a team sport. Even the best players are only playing 1/3 of the game, which is another thing people don’t understand as to why star players don’t always win. Look at the Maple Leafs, over 1/3 of their cap is tied up in 3 players and they can’t even win a series.

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
The concept of “super teams” won’t ever exist in hockey and I’m glad it won’t
Probably the salary cap is blocking it. NBA has a pretty large cap to sign off multiple max slots. Not sure how many "max slots" NHL has. Although people hated superteams in the NBA, Curry/Durant Warriors were def a fun team to watch due to their immense skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->