An ex NHL player in the ECHL

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Depends.

Irbe played in ECHL. Bunch of guys (including Gomez) played in ECHL during 04-05 lockout.

First, what position. Second, how well does he play.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I was referring to Trent Hunter who is a right winger that loves to make contact and make plays.

That is nothing. We had An Ex-Duckling who played 600 NHL games. No big deal. They get treated the same. usually guys of that claiber are on their last years of pro play. The problem with the entire concept though is that if they get hurt then the ECHL work comp may be laibile for ALL of the ir injuries including ones from the NHL.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
That is nothing. We had An Ex-Duckling who played 600 NHL games. No big deal. They get treated the same. usually guys of that claiber are on their last years of pro play. The problem with the entire concept though is that if they get hurt then the ECHL work comp may be laibile for ALL of the ir injuries including ones from the NHL.

1) Who are you referring to ?

2) Why?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Not really that unique of a situation. Damian Rhodes was sent directly to the Coast in the early 2000s and Irbe was sent down a year or two later in similar situation. But other players (read: non goalies) have also played down there. François Leroux played in Wheeling for half a season at the end of his career. Scott Gomez played in his hometown during the '05 lockout. Craig Rivet played over 900 games in the NHL and was even the captain for the Sabres for part of a season before signing with the Elmira Jackals. The most recent memory for a non-goalie NHL player signing in the ECHL that had a solid resume was defenseman Paul Mara, who played over 700 regular season games before signing with the Ontario Reign.

Will they get chirped? I'm sure somebody will say something, but if you chirp an NHL vet, I'd would say to expect the response to be 10x worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad