Amnesty Buyout

Who to pick?

• Total voters

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
With these rumors of an amnesty buyout, who does HF think we should release? I think it’s a toss up between Jones and Vlasic. But Karlsson could be the dark horse here.

Either way, should make it easier to shed salary in the off season.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Chose Jones because I feel he’d be the most difficult to move via trade. Still think Vlasic or Burns hold enough value for some other teams to pull the trigger on a deal but Jones no way.

Reactions: Nighthock

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
My take, buyout Vlasic due to the longer term, higher cap hit, and NMC. Pray that Seattle will take Jones with additional compensation.

Doug won’t buyout Erik Karlsson after just re-signing him. He literally lost a top 5 pick because of the EK trade and a 2nd because he kept him. He’d be handed his walking papers if he did that.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'd say that Couture's contract deserves to be there over Karlsson or Burns'.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would hope we could dump both but seems unlikely. Reputation wise, Jones would be the first one out the door. He was actually embarrassing for a few months.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
An albatross goalie contract is more difficult to manage than an albatross skater contract by a substantial order of magnitude

Buyout Jones, not even a question

If they give teams 2 compliance buyouts like they did when the CBA was ratified then you buyout Jones and Vlasic

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I dont see how we can have a great starting goalie and Jones, wouldnt see both being paid starters money

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I voted other, if we get a buy-out, I doubt DW would use it.

He used both compliance buyouts last time they were available on Burish and Havlat

If there are compliance buyouts available Wilson has shown he's willing to use them

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
An albatross goalie contract is more difficult to manage than an albatross skater contract by a substantial order of magnitude

Buyout Jones, not even a question

If they give teams 2 compliance buyouts like they did when the CBA was ratified then you buyout Jones and Vlasic

Vlasic has 100% control of where he plays. The only way to get rid of his contract without his consent is via buyout. Jones the team atleast has some control over him. If they wanted to save a few dollars they can just bury him in the minors, or just trade him for a bag of pucks to one of his 3 teams. Or in a year or 2 time just sweeten the pot for seatle to take him.

None of that stuff can happen for vlasic.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Vlasic has 100% control of where he plays. The only way to get rid of his contract without his consent is via buyout. Jones the team atleast has some control over him. If they wanted to save a few dollars they can just bury him in the minors, or just trade him for a bag of pucks to one of his 3 teams. Or in a year or 2 time just sweeten the pot for seatle to take him.

None of that stuff can happen for vlasic.

That's a fair point.

I want to see how either player does after so much time off. That is a lot of time to rest and recuperate. We've heard that Jones in particular is suffering from the massive workload he's had over the past few years, and other posters have pointed out that Vlasic's minute-munching is catching up to him.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Vlasic can still play nhl hockey
Jones has not proven he can

Neither are a bad choice though

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
This seems like it should be a no-brainer. Martin Jones is the 12th highest paid goalie in the league on a team where goaltending is a massive problem. Furthermore, he's shown clear signs of decline that almost certainly can be attributed to health. His inability to push off certainly hints at an injury. His play has been poor for two years in a row. He shows occasional flashes of quality play, but he used to be very, very consistent. That said, he's only 29, 6 of the goalies above him are 3+ years older. While I'd be prepared to cut bait, given the option, it's worth seeing how Jones can perform in camp with some time off and Nabby.

Vlasic on the other hand, is the much more impactful player, but arguably has a worse contract. While I'm not sure the eye test quite matches up, some of the fancy stats Vlasic's posted, combined with six more years at $7M is terrifying. I also do think there is a decent chance that Vlasic could be moved without significant retention (or including assets). For Jones, there's no way that is true.

Also, I don't think Hasso cares about money. Shrewd businessman he surely is, but he's in it for a cup. That said, I'm not sure it'd be wise for Wilson to go to him and say, hey I've got to cut bait on a player who's 2 years into an 8 year deal. With Jones, he can say, 'injuries, goalies are tough'. That excuse doesn't hold with Vlasic.

Reactions: Nolan11

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
He used both compliance buyouts last time they were available on Burish and Havlat

If there are compliance buyouts available Wilson has shown he's willing to use them
Nevertheless, I don't think he thinks any of those players are worth buying out at this point. ( part of which, he recently signed all of them. Not sure he can afford to admit that big of a mistake to ownership. )

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Gotta be pickles. Simek with Burns, Ferraro with Karlsson. What has Pickles show the past 2 years that makes him that much more valuable than Simek and Ferraro? He has a full NMC so this or a buyout is the only way outta that long contract. At least with Jones there are some options to potentially move him now or in the future.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

While the point of him being willing to use compliance buyouts is accurate, it is not accurate to say that Burish was one of them. He wasn't. It was just Havlat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->