Amnesty buyout candidates

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Let me first say how I am NOT an advocate at all of an amnesty buyout clause, one-time or otherwise, in any new CBA. I beleive that if you sign a bad contract, you live with the consequences.

That said, assuming a new CBA is signed and there is hockey this year, what one player (if any) from each of the 30 NHL teams do you think this buyout would be used on? Some are obvious (i.e. Gomez, Horcoff), some not so much. Have at it! :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think we're going to trade for an "amnesty buyout" player, actually.

We have SO much cap space... if a team is about to be forced to buy a player out, it makes more sense to move him to us and flip us a mid-round pick as an alternative to the $$$ they'd have to shell out otherwise.

Any candidates out there? Obviously, bad long-term contracts are out of the question, it'd have to be a guy on a short-term deal.

General Granny*

Keith Ballard is a realistic chance, don't see Devils getting rid of Volch for nothing, if they buy him out they will just increase his trade value

WhiteLight*

Euge ain't spending a dime more for this season. They are at ~$52M or so I think, and he ain't moving up on that for a mid round pick.

If there was more money to go around it would have been spent in free agency.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I think we're going to trade for an "amnesty buyout" player, actually.

We have SO much cap space... if a team is about to be forced to buy a player out, it makes more sense to move him to us and flip us a mid-round pick as an alternative to the $$$ they'd have to shell out otherwise.

Any candidates out there? Obviously, bad long-term contracts are out of the question, it'd have to be a guy on a short-term deal.

Do you really think its worth saving them a buyout (and letting them buy out another player as well instead) for a mid round pick? We could just wait and see who was bought out, then sign anyone we may want to a more reasonable deal.

Besides, this thread was supposed to be about who you think the buyout would be used on for all the different teams..

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Also, I wonder if teams would be allowed to buy out a player, then re-sign him to a cheaper and/or shorter deal (like Horcoff in Edmonton).

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Euge ain't spending a dime more for this season. They are at ~$52M or so I think, and he ain't moving up on that for a mid round pick.

With half a season, I could see Melnyk wanting to bring in a name to help draw fans back to SBP.

source

Jul 13, 2008

Yep. Guy is going through tough times.

General Granny*

With half a season, I could see Melnyk wanting to bring in a name to help draw fans back to SBP.

Apparently they only lost 1% of their season ticket holder due to the lockout.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Well, my thought was IF we are going to get someone to replace Cowen, and spend money ANYWAYS, then maybe you can get a draft pick out of it. Plus, if the Gonchar trade rumors have anything to them (and who knows if they do), then we might go the trade route.

Like, for instance, if the Sharks decide they want to buy out a guy like Douglas Murray because they decide they want to go Boyle-Burns-Stuart-Vlasic-Demers-Braun on the blueline, why not trade him to us?

I'm just saying: maybe there are some guys out there on 1 or 2 year contracts who are worth pursuing.

Someone on these boards wondered if we can pull a reverse-Havlat trade. I'm hoping we might be able to leverage our low cap into a player.

WhiteLight*

Well, my thought was IF we are going to get someone to replace Cowen, and spend money ANYWAYS, then maybe you can get a draft pick out of it. Plus, if the Gonchar trade rumors have anything to them (and who knows if they do), then we might go the trade route.

Like, for instance, if the Sharks decide they want to buy out a guy like Douglas Murray because they decide they want to go Boyle-Burns-Stuart-Vlasic-Demers-Braun on the blueline, why not trade him to us?

I'm just saying: maybe there are some guys out there on 1 or 2 year contracts who are worth pursuing.

Someone on these boards wondered if we can pull a reverse-Havlat trade. I'm hoping we might be able to leverage our low cap into a player.

Forgot about Cowen's injury... dunno how much he'll be willing to spend.

Not saying guys shouldn't be looked at, saying they won't be for money reasons.

There likely won't be good players available anyway, unless it's a team wanting to get out of a 10+ year contract like Luongo or something. Other than that it will be 3rd/4th line forwards or 3rd pair d-men who are paid like top 6/top 4 players.

Maybe like Volchenkov, Jovanovski, Ballard. In that case it's best just to play Wiercioch. I wouldn't take any of those 3 contracts just for a mid pick.

Though signing Volchenkov to a one year deal in the summer as the the 6/7th d-man would be cool.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Forgot about Cowen's injury... dunno how much he'll be willing to spend.

Not saying guys shouldn't be looked at, saying they won't be for money reasons.

There likely won't be good players available anyway, unless it's a team wanting to get out of a 10+ year contract like Luongo or something. Other than that it will be 3rd/4th line forwards or 3rd pair d-men who are paid like top 6/top 4 players.

Maybe like Volchenkov, Jovanovski, Ballard. In that case it's best just to play Wiercioch. I wouldn't take any of those 3 contracts just for a mid pick.

Though signing Volchenkov to a one year deal in the summer as the the 6/7th d-man would be cool.

Eh. I guess we'll find out sooner than later. Hopefully.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Also, I wonder if teams would be allowed to buy out a player, then re-sign him to a cheaper and/or shorter deal (like Horcoff in Edmonton).

Unless there will be a special circumstance, thats not allowed. A bought out player cannot re-sign with that team for one year.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty sure the current offer has the buyout period beginning before the 2013/2014 so Ottawa would not be resigning any of them for this season. Could be wrong though.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pretty sure the current offer has the buyout period beginning before the 2013/2014 so Ottawa would not be resigning any of them for this season. Could be wrong though.

This is my understanding also - the buyouts are for next summer. They'll just play out the remainder of this year on a pro-rated version of what this year's cap was going to be. ($70 million, I believe.)

The NHL is currently looking for a $60 million cap for next year, while the NHLPA wants $67 million. They'll probably split the difference, but I fail to see how a higher cap really helps the union - all it does is increase escrow, especially if revenues are flat, so it is a hollow victory for the NHLPA.

Having said all that, the Senators could be in a nice position if there are a bunch of cap casualties. Remember, these guys already will have been paid out, so they might be willing to sign a cheap, short term contract with a team that looks like an up and comer like Ottawa.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
What if the amnesty buyout clause doesn't prohibit the ability to re-sign that player like normal buyouts do?

Then buyout Alfie's last year of his contract and re-sign him for 1 year at $4 500 000.

EDIT: Oh ok, I see the parameters of the buyout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->