Speculation: Amnesty buyout candidates and its implicatons

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'd keep Komisarek around at the moment. Although I say that without having seen him play hockey in a long time. I might rapidly change my mind.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
I can see Burke aquiring a bad contract from a team that doesn't want to waste one of their buyouts. So in otherwords we aquire a bad player plus a pick or prospect and use one of our contract buyouts up.

If not I am picking Komisarek and Liles

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Are amnesty buyouts allowed if a team is not over the cap?

The cap is going to fall next year and teams are allowed two amnesty buyouts that don't count against the cap in order to get under the new cap number.

But, are those buyouts allowed if the team is already under the cap? Can they be used to get rid of bad contracts? Or are they only allowed to be used by teams that are affected negatively by the new cap number?

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Will we be allowed to trade for a player, then use our amnesty on him? I know the NBA doesn't allow that with their amnesties.

Wouldn't Grabovski be the best value of buying out? It's a long term deal and I'm not sure he will live up to it.

No. You don't amnesty someone who has positive trade value. His contract isn't an albatross by any means.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Are amnesty buyouts allowed if a team is not over the cap?

The cap is going to fall next year and teams are allowed two amnesty buyouts that don't count against the cap in order to get under the new cap number.

But, are those buyouts allowed if the team is already under the cap? Can they be used to get rid of bad contracts? Or are they only allowed to be used by teams that are affected negatively by the new cap number?

- Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season. The buyouts will count against the players' overall share in revenues, but not the team's salary cap.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
- Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season. The buyouts will count against the players' overall share in revenues, but not the team's salary cap.

This means that's that after next season, the amnesty buyouts disappear whether they are used or not, right?

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
Will we be allowed to trade for a player, then use our amnesty on him? I know the NBA doesn't allow that with their amnesties.

No. You don't amnesty someone who has positive trade value.

This and how long you can hold an amnesty are the points I'd most interested in.

If you can take on Luongo, then amnesty him in 4-6 years, then he's worth something to the Leafs in trade, 'cause the buyout amount would be steep, but not impossible, and the cap hit for having him wouldn't be terrible either. I

t's also the kind of thing that will make this apply to guys like Lecavalier. No chance TB can buy him out anytime soon, 'cause they're not paying someone 50m not to play hockey, but he becomes marginally tradeable once a team can hold an amnesty for him, then escape 2-3 years at the end. Now, he's still a tough sell, but if the amnesty is a one offseason only, or just one or two, then it has virtually no effect on those monstrous back-loaded deals 'cause no team is going to buy them out when they have that much remaining.

What will make me laugh the most is that MIN has to hold their two amnesty provisions for the inevitable day that Suter and Parise need to be amnestied if those clauses are retainable long-term.

edit: just saw Mess' post, is there a link? If right, then the back-loaded deals are pretty much off the table for amnesty.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This means that's that after next season, the amnesty buyouts disappear whether they are used or not, right?

Correctamundo

Only available for this summer and the following one.. After that buyouts are still available but unlike amnesty ones they will count against the teams cap at 2/3rds balance remaining spread out over twice the years remaining at time it occurs.

edit: just saw Mess' post, is there a link? If right, then the back-loaded deals are pretty much off the table for amnesty.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Correctamundo

Only available for this summer and the following one.. After that buyouts are still available but unlike amnesty ones they will count against the teams cap at 2/3rds balance remaining spread out over twice the years remaining at time it occurs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844

Makes sense. NHL doesn't want teams to have the ability to "wait and see" if an amnesty buyout is appropriate. It means that GMs have a small window to determine whether or not it is prudent to amnesty a player.....a tantalizing exercise in risk management.

Something else I find interesting is the fact that the amnestied players are still going to get a huge chunk of change from their former team, and therefore may be willing to accept less to play in a new city. They already get their huge payout regardless, so then they can sign with a team at a discount rate and go cup chasing.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Can someone explain the Amneisty buy outs?

So every year you get to buy out two contracts and have no implications on the cap?

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Can someone explain the Amneisty buy outs?

So every year you get to buy out two contracts and have no implications on the cap?

Not quite. Teams get TWO total amnesty buy-outs. One after this season, one after next season. If they do not use them this year or next, then they disappear.

If used, the team still pays the player as per normal buyout procedure, but the player contract is instantly removed from cap calculations. Money is owed, but it's not on the cap.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think there are 3 candidates for this, If one of them really struggles in the 50 ish games the team has to consider it. After this year this is what remains going into 2013-14 full season.

1)JVR- 5yrs @ 4.25 million per
2) Grabovski- 4yrs @ 5.5 millon per
3) Liles- 3yrs @ 3.875 million per

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
JVR is nowhere near a candidate for a buyout.

Grabovski is a tiny bit more plausible, but that'll depend if Burke can land a top line center to be able to replace his production. Even then, I think Grabovski is here to stay for awhile.

Right now, Komisarek is definitely the #1 player to be bought out this upcoming summer. After that, there aren't many dead weight players on long-term contracts past this summer. Thank god that Connolly and Lombardi aren't signed past this year.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Wouldn't Grabovski be the best value of buying out? It's a long term deal and I'm not sure he will live up to it.

You cant re-sign a player that has been bought out, you shouldnt buy out your 3rd best offensive player, you shouldnt buy out your best and only quality C, you shouldnt buy out a player who has yet to play a game since signing the contract, and you shouldn't buy out a player that has trade value. So all sorts of wrong with your one post.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
You cant re-sign a player that has been bought out, you shouldnt buy out your 3rd best offensive player, you shouldnt buy out your best and only quality C, you shouldnt buy out a player who has yet to play a game since signing the contract, and you shouldn't buy out a player that has trade value. So all sorts of wrong with your one post.
Is that in the rules? I agree with everything else you said, but I didn't know the bolded part is in the CBA.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Is that in the rules? I agree with everything else you said, but I didn't know the bolded part is in the CBA.

Im pretty sure it was in the last CBA, its a way to circumvent the cap, pay out a players previous salary and add to that with a whole new contract much less than market value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad