Speculation: Amnesty buyout candidates and its implicatons

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
An amnesty buyout might not have the same rules as a regular buyout that counts against the cap.

This amnesty buyout is not a new concept..

This was created with the last CBA already where teams could buy out players and not have it count against the cap.

Leafs bought out Owen Nolan coming out of the 2005 lockout for example, and he never counted against Leafs cap.

It also specifically had rules against resigning your own players as GMs could use this as cap end-arounds by trying to reduce players salaries on their team and cheating the system. ie .Leafs could have bought out Sundin at $7 mil and resigned him at $2 mil and Mats would be earning $9 mil while only $2 mil would have counted against the cap.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Deal with backup goalie Luongo?

Highly unlikely that Gillis waits until the 2013-14 season to resolve Luongo.

Rumours suggest that Burke and Gillis have a secret-handshake agreement in place. Regardless of the truth there, what we know for sure is that Gillis promised Luongo he'd have a new home before teams take to the ice.

So it's almost guaranteed that Luongo is not be with the Canucks if the season starts this year. If there is no season this year, I doubt there will be hockey in 2013-14 (because the Disclaimer of Interest will take probably a few years to resolve in the court system, which is why it works so damn well as a bargaining tool. The NHL will argue the legality of the Disclaimer, but even that will take us long into the 2013-14 season, so yeah, short of it, no agreement this year means no agreement next either.)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Does his AHL contract have an out clause like that?

The whole point is moot as it seems Toronto is the only place he apparently wants to play for family reasons.

Apparently it does have an out clause if he gets a NHL contract.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
This amnesty buyout is not a new concept..

This was created with the last CBA already where teams could buy out players and not have it count against the cap.

Leafs bought out Owen Nolan coming out of the 2005 lockout for example, and he never counted against Leafs cap.

It also specifically had rules against resigning your own players as GMs could use this as cap end-arounds by trying to reduce players salaries on their team and cheating the system. ie .Leafs could have bought out Sundin at $7 mil and resigned him at $2 mil and Mats would be earning $9 mil while only $2 mil would have counted against the cap.

The Leafs didn't buy out Nolan. They claimed his injury happened of the ice and they weren't responsible for his salary. The case was settled out of court and the details were never disclosed.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
First as Pronger is injured he probably cant be bought out. Second as long as he is injured unless the rules change in the new CBA the Flyers will continue to be able to spend over the cap in the amount of his salary due to LTIR.

pronger is hurt at the moment but he's got 5 years left on his deal, is he gonna be hurt that long? if not he will start counting wheather he's capable of playing at the NHL level or not. assuming the new CBA doesn't change that portion. now can u buyout an injuried player that I'm not aware of so I don't know.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
contract buy outs

I could see komo and possibly Connolly bought out this year.
Lombo will have a training camp and I do believe Cody franson is signed for the entire season in Sweden.

Penalty Kill Icing*

How can you buy out Franson's contract if he doesn't have one? :help:

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
One of the things Burke and CO have done really well is stay away from bad contracts. Komi is the only realistic candidate and even then it's not that bad.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Depending on their position at the TD, they could trade for a veteran and futures. (like a Lombardi / Franson deal) Then buy out the veteran in the off season.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
LEafs don't really have anyone to buyout.

I'm sure they're sick of paying their 6th - 7th defenseman 4.5 million in cap space. I assure you the Leafs will want that cap space next summer, there no more room for Komisarek on this team with cheap guys like Holzer and Fraser waiting in the wings.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
LEafs don't really have anyone to buyout.

agreed. If there is a way to trade for terrible contracts to buy out I would like to see the Leafs do that with a few teams. Two buyouts kinda goes against that, but if we can go to a team that has 3-4 bad contracts and let them salary dump the player to us so we can buy a pick or two, I'd be down for that. For all the whining we do, we really don't have any bad contracts that aren't expiring in the near future.

AndMat*

How does it work? someone can explain? Is it one buyout per year? or every 2 years?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Komo drops.

I doubt they buy him out as he is a vet and may be trade bait.Lombo is gone and so is Connolly,older players will not fare well against youth in a late start.

Amp3d

Feb 8, 2010
Amnesty Komi ASAP. Free up his contract AND open up the 7th D spot. Connolly/Lombardi would be a waste IMO, they expire next year anyways. Keep the last amnesty open for next year.

EDIT- Amnesty will have to wait, can't be used until after June this summer (as per TSN).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->