American Prospect Update Thread

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Boo-E-mm I believe. Shai came to pre-season camp in Portland for two years before deciding on the NCAA route and I think that's how it was pronounced when listening to coverage of it. I'd assume they're related both coming from California and with a unique last name like that.
Thanks. The NTDP actually puts a pronunciation guide with the camp rosters and it looks like it's BOO-yum.

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

I wonder what this means for Shaugabay and Whitelaw, feel like they have been among the most hyped from MN. Shaugabay too is a dual national I wouldn’t want to lose him, but he might just not be as good as his prior hype.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

I wonder what this means for Shaugabay and Whitelaw, feel like they have been among the most hyped from MN. Shaugabay too is a dual national I wouldn’t want to lose him, but he might just not be as good as his prior hype.

Roster should be announced any day now, I would imagine.

Reactions: JotAlan

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN

There's also a decent chance that Shaugabay, as a Warroad kid, wouldn't accept even if invited.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I hope St. Louis is a fantastic player, but idk man. Idk why the NTDP has blind loyalty to family names sometimes, I hope I'm wrong about it. Don't understand how it helps the NTDP in anyway, we've seen is several times.
I mostly follow Eastern Canada junior so just curious on who the recent offspring under achievers have been.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I mostly follow Eastern Canada junior so just curious on who the recent offspring under achievers have been.
It’s not even an offspring thing really, a lot of time is just loyalty to siblings of NTDP alum. Off the top of my head some of the notable families the Pastujovs, the Gildons, Greenways, Janickes, Slaggerts, St. Louis. And more I’m probably forgetting. And it’s not that some of these kids had no business making the team, it’s just you get the feeling the last name often gives them an edge over others for whatever reason.

Reactions: Tube Skates

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

This is interesting to hear. Rarely hear this about an American in the OHL Draft, especially not if he is headed to the NTDP. Wonder why they would consider that when word is Musty is on the team.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Tweet was removed?
Yup it was the Quentin Musty tweets. Curious if it’s making that much of a splash in those circles there must be some type of smoke.
Hard to believe any team would waste the first pick without a hard lock commitment.

edit: and no offense to Sudbury this isn’t like the London Knights calling this kid up. Sudbury is way up in the middle of nowhere, really interesting what might be happening. Turning down the NTDP as a top American prospect has almost become unheard of.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Yup it was the Quentin Musty tweets. Curious if it’s making that much of a splash in those circles there must be some type of smoke.
Hard to believe any team would waste the first pick without a hard lock commitment.

edit: and no offense to Sudbury this isn’t like the London Knights calling this kid up. Sudbury is way up in the middle of nowhere, really interesting what might be happening. Turning down the NTDP as a top American prospect has almost become unheard of.
Yes, this is definitely an intriguing development.

Another angle is if Sudbury got wind of Musty wanting to come to the OHL -- but to another team. The OHL has a rule that allows a team to declare a first-round pick "defected" if they don't report to camp. A team gets a compensatory first-round pick -- one spot later than the spot in which the player was drafted -- the following year if they trade him by Sept. 15. There's talk of another highly-ranked Ontario-born prospect (not Ritchie) signing a tender with Muskegon, so teams with high picks might be looking to maximize value for their franchise rather than settle for a lesser player.

OHLWriters: OHL Defected 1st round draft pick Flashback Trade Tree - Lucas Lessio

Here's another story about compensatory picks.

OHL draft holdouts have power, but teams can pay a long game

Last edited:
Reactions: JiggsNY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad