American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Brendan Brisson and Gunnarwolfe Fontaine are killing it in U19 WJAC. USA face Canada East in semi-finals. Two more to go. Lets go guys!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Is there anywhere that has stats from Mid-Fairfield Rangers teams? Each year they have a lot of talent in their program and stats are never listed on EP.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
@tealhockey, what do you think of Matthew Coronato? His stats look good for a 2021 draft eligible in the USHL.
he's a serious player, nothing necessarily pops out at me screaming that he's going to be in the NHL but he'll be one to watch for next year's draft. He has to keep improving, if he does he'll get drafted probably in the middle rounds. his numbers are great but he plays on a very strong team offensively

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Did a brief podcast talking about the USA team for about 8 minutes, can check it out on Spotify here or on my site here. Merry christmas guys enjoyed talking with you all about players this year
Thanks for everything Teal, you've added a ton over this year, you have some of the best insight on this board. Merry Christmas.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Does anyone know anything about Alex Weiermair. California kid playing in Canada. Any good?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This game is pointless, but still hate this format. Can you imagine Team USHL if they didn't have the overagers, the late '01 birthdays, and ex-NTDPers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Garyboy

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
I dont understand anyway why they want some head-to-head between NTDP and others. NTDP has been great thing but there shouldn't be any confrontation between NTDP and others.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Promotions from the 17's to the 18's are likely coming soon.

The four players I want to see promoted are

Luke Hughes-Best prospect on the 17's. Very good two way defensemen, elite skater. Only thing working against him is that the 18's have three good LHD already and an established defense that doesn't need any changes.

Chaz Lucius-Elite goal scorer. He can score from anywhere on the ice, and he's excellent at positioning himself in the offensive zone to find open areas of the ice.

Dylan Duke-He's not an elite goal scorer, but he's a very good goal scorer. He's also a very good all-around player with good skating, work ethic, skill and playmaking.

Justin Janicke-Best forward prospect on the 17's. He does some of everything. He's extremely versatile, and can play in any role. He has a lot of skill and scores points, as well. He's not all versatility and work-ethic.

I didn't think Beniers would be promoted last year, so these guys are players I wouldn't rule out being promoted.

Sasha Pastujov-He might be the most naturally talented forward on the team, but he's incredibly slow. I don't think it's a good idea to have him playing a higher level of hockey yet. I'm not going to rule out that he makes it as a pro due to his skating, but I don't think a promotion should be in order until he gets his skating improved.

Jack Devine-This guy has scored a lot of points this season and is a late birthday. I've not been impressed, but he's hyped, has scored points and isn't draft eligible for another year. That sounds like a player who could be promoted.

Jack Hughes-Hughes isn't the offensive threat that some of the better forwards on the 17's this year are, but does bring a good all-around game from the center of the ice. He's also a late birthday, and will probably be a first round pick in 2022. His profile isn't unlike Beniers was with his promotion a year ago.

Aidan Hreschuk-He's a good defensemen. Maybe a first rounder in 2021, but he's another LHD and he's not great. If it's not a sure thing that Hughes is promoted, it makes no sense to promote Hreschuk.

Sean Behrens-Another LHD. Big point producer, great skater. He's a LHD, so its a similar situation to Hreschuk. I wouldn't think this is a good reason, but I think being under-sized would also work against him getting a promotion.

Ty Gallagher-I think his addition would make the most sense out of all the players in this category, but I still don't think its too likely. He's a RHD, so there's a little less depth, but RHD still has a few good prospects on the 18's. If Hughes is added, that fills out the top 6 with quality hockey players. I guess you could add a 7th and make someone like Truscott 7th defensemen, but I don't see the need.

Roman Schmidt-He's another good RHD, but more of a project type of player. He's a lot more raw than Gallagher. It seems unlikely that they'd opt to promote a raw RHD.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I hope this American prospect game format is short lived. 6-1 win for the NTDP, and this is a weaker NTDP team at that.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Front what I've seen, the '04 group definitely has the type of talent that justifies the hype they've been receiving for the last year plus. A lot can change with players this age but I think this group has shown they have the potential to be the next elite birth year for USAH. There looks to be some elite, elite talent right now.

Goalies notwithstanding as who knows at that age. I think both Silverstein and Smith have shown nice tools at the YOG, but I'll never get excited about a goalie until they've proven something during their U17 season. Coaching can change a goalie quickly, such as with a guy like Silverstein. He's been really erratic in net when you get him moving and he slides a half dozen feet away from the net but that's something a good goalie coach can correct.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
did another podcast talking about team USA in international play (first WJC and then the youth olympic games team mentioned above), probably not too much new information to those of you who post in here but figure I would link it anyway, my take on a lot of the 2004 born guys is about half way thru

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
FYI, saw this - some early thoughts on the top 10 Americans for the 2021 NHL draft -

1Matt Beniers11/5/02CL6-1/168USA NTDP U18Harvard
2Matthew Knies10/17/02LWL6-2/205Tri-City StormMinnesota
3Chaz Lucius5/2/03CR6-0/172USA NTDP U17Minnesota
4Luke Hughes9/9/03DL6-0/162USA NTDP U17Michigan
5Tyler Haskins5/8/03CL6-4/170Chicago Mission 16UMichigan
6Gleb Veremyev6/28/03CL6-3/190NJ Rockets 16UPenn State
7Bennett Schimek4/15/03CR5-10/170Gentry Academy 16UProvidence
8Sean Behrens3/31/03DL5-8/173USA NTDP U17Denver
9Dylan Duke4/3/03CL5-9/168USA NTDP U17Michigan
10Ty Gallagher3/6/03DR6-0/188USA NTDP U17Notre Dame
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
FYI, saw this - some early thoughts on the top 10 Americans for the 2021 NHL draft -

1Matt Beniers11/5/02CL6-1/168USA NTDP U18Harvard
2Matthew Knies10/17/02LWL6-2/205Tri-City StormMinnesota
3Chaz Lucius5/2/03CR6-0/172USA NTDP U17Minnesota
4Luke Hughes9/9/03DL6-0/162USA NTDP U17Michigan
5Tyler Haskins5/8/03CL6-4/170Chicago Mission 16UMichigan
6Gleb Veremyev6/28/03CL6-3/190NJ Rockets 16UPenn State
7Bennett Schimek4/15/03CR5-10/170Gentry Academy 16UProvidence
8Sean Behrens3/31/03DL5-8/173USA NTDP U17Denver
9Dylan Duke4/3/03CL5-9/168USA NTDP U17Michigan
10Ty Gallagher3/6/03DR6-0/188USA NTDP U17Notre Dame
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
according to who? don't think this is what it looks like tbh even very early

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Disappointing result against Russia in the YOG final but not all that surprising as Russia has talent in the '04 age group with a couple of elite stars and they spent a lot more time together for this tournament than any of the other teams did. Doesn't really change any of the enthusiasm that should exist for the '04 American group and if anything being humbled a bit can do wonders for the egos of 15 year old hockey players. Doing well at this tournament doesn't mean much if you don't continue to develop.

Some nice pieces to build on for next year's NTDP squad. Most of the players showed well at certain spots in terms of their potential. A few guys probably don't have great upside for one reason or another - guys like Snuggerud, Stramel, etc. are long shots to probably be more than Judd Caulfied types and guys like Hutson, Duke, etc. will depend entirely on how they develop physically - but there's also a lot of high-end potential as well.

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Disappointing result against Russia in the YOG final but not all that surprising as Russia has talent in the '04 age group with a couple of elite stars and they spent a lot more time together for this tournament than any of the other teams did. Doesn't really change any of the enthusiasm that should exist for the '04 American group and if anything being humbled a bit can do wonders for the egos of 15 year old hockey players. Doing well at this tournament doesn't mean much if you don't continue to develop.

Some nice pieces to build on for next year's NTDP squad. Most of the players showed well at certain spots in terms of their potential. A few guys probably don't have great upside for one reason or another - guys like Snuggerud, Stramel, etc. are long shots to probably be more than Judd Caulfied types and guys like Hutson, Duke, etc. will depend entirely on how they develop physically - but there's also a lot of high-end potential as well.
I think it is a bit early to put those big guys in a box (tho I don't mind Caulfield at all), I agree that the smaller guys will have to grow a bit or it will hurt their projection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->