American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Never heard that Fantilli would be dual. I guess it was just some amateur who made his own conclusions after young Canadian goes to play in US.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
So any more rumblings about Adam Fantilli possibly being eligible for the U.S.? I have no idea if there is any truth to this nugget from the article below, but it would obviously be a huge coup if true. Fantilli was awesome as what amount to being a double under-ager in the GTHL last season

He was an 04 playing against 03’s. Double underager implies he would be born in 05. It goes by birth year, not the September 15th cut off the NHL Draft uses.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yup that’s what I meant..although it appears the article I pulled that quote from as originally published was erroneous so it’s a moot point...nothing factual to indicate he is a dual.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nice for Matt Knies to get the nod in D-1, he's been great early this year. Should be a good test for our draft guys and some over-agers like Meehan who might get a look this summer

Do you think there was anyone notable missing from the roster that should've been there?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Do you think there was anyone notable missing from the roster that should've been there?
Not really. I think they kind of try to get guys from every team, so like just personally because I'm just starting to form my 2020 draft opinions I would have liked to see some guys like Bantle, Colby Ambrosio, Noah Ellis, Kyle Aucoin, Zach Urdahl, Ryan Beck, Ryan Kirwan, Wyatt Schingoethe, Sam Stange just to see them play at that level... not because I necessarily think they got snubbed. I think it was probably fairly close calls for a good subset of the roster

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Schingoethe was a huge omission in my opinion. I have seen him twice already play vs Cedar Rapids and always come away impressed with his play. I was very happy to see Ben Meehan make the team. I have been high on this kid since his 1st camp with Cedar Rapids. He is an anchor on CR's blue line and is eating up a ton of minutes.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Schingoethe was a huge omission in my opinion. I have seen him twice already play vs Cedar Rapids and always come away impressed with his play. I was very happy to see Ben Meehan make the team. I have been high on this kid since his 1st camp with Cedar Rapids. He is an anchor on CR's blue line and is eating up a ton of minutes.
Yeah Meehan definitely deserved it. Schingoethe seem like it would have been a pretty close call

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Obviously this roster includes many of the big '04 names...but are these classes chosen for the YOG for the USA typically the "best of the best" from the age group or more of trying to select a geographically/league diverse roster?
Pretty sure they just try to do best of the best. I've watched many of the top level 04s now and I can't think of who they might have left off, especially with only 9 F. Snuggerud, Stramel are relatively unknown commodities I need to see in high school hockey but based on the caliber of the rest I imagine they are pretty good. Also those 5 with Lucius/Fleming/Howard are all MN (with Howard being wisconsin), then three michigan guys up front alone, so it doesn't seem like they have tried to be diverse.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Should be a pretty exciting group to follow at the tournament. This age group has received a lot of hype and while we really won't know how good they can be until about a year from now, this will be a good first audition so to speak.

I'm certainly not going to make any claims on snubs as I've only seen this age group via highlights - which are very impressive no doubt, but still just highlights - but the three most hyped names I see missing are Devin Kaplan, Nick Pierre, and Charlie Leddy and Kaplan/Pierre were two of the earliest hyped names in this age group. EDIT: Forgot Kaplan injured his shoulder this season and is out awhile, so that could be why he's not on the team.

Time will tell whether or not that early hype was misguided, USAH got it wrong, or they're just victims of the numbers game in a potentially high-end age group. The reality is it's really hard to pick a team of 14/15 year olds, so it's a lot easier to forgive any potential "snubs" here than for the rest of the tournaments where the player pool is more established.

Just look at the past two YOG rosters. The '00 team didn't have what ended up being their top 2 NHL prospects on it (Farabee and Miller), and guys like Wilde, Zac Jones, Alec Regula, etc. weren't there either. The '96 team didn't have Connor, Tuch, Dvorak, Carlo, Donato, Garland, Milano, etc. and Larkin was also missing, but he was injured.

Last edited:

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Should be a pretty exciting group to follow at the tournament. This age group has received a lot of hype and while we really won't know how good they can be until about a year from now, this will be a good first audition so to speak.

I'm certainly not going to make any claims on snubs as I've only seen this age group via highlights - which are very impressive no doubt, but still just highlights - but the three most hyped names I see missing are Devin Kaplan, Nick Pierre, and Charlie Leddy and Kaplan/Pierre were two of the earliest hyped names in this age group. EDIT: Forgot Kaplan injured his shoulder this season and is out awhile, so that could be why he's not on the team.

Time will tell whether or not that early hype was misguided, USAH got it wrong, or they're just victims of the numbers game in a potentially high-end age group. The reality is it's really hard to pick a team of 14/15 year olds, so it's a lot easier to forgive any potential "snubs" here than for the rest of the tournaments where the player pool more established.

Just look at the past two YOG rosters. The '00 team didn't have what ended up being their top 2 NHL prospects on it (Farabee and Miller), and guys like Wilde, Zac Jones, Alec Regula, etc. weren't there either. The '96 team didn't have Connor, Tuch, Dvorak, Carlo, Donato, Garland, Milano, etc. and Larkin was also missing, but he was injured.

Agree. And one must remember. There is a difference in building a team for this tournament (04's on big olympic ice) vs a team that needs to compete differently on the NTDP team for example (competing against bigger, stronger, faster players). If history proves right, there will be 5 or 6 from this team that will not make that team. This is an unreal group - and I am certain they will dominate against their own age group on big Olympic ice and most will have great NCAA careers. However, if this was a team being built for the latter - I would definitely have picked some different personnel. I also see some of these kids at their potential peak (best is now) and while others left off have much more long term upside. Knowing many of the kids who were "on the list" for this tournament but just fell short of making it - I think you will see many different faces on the team that is assembled come April.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
RD Joshua Niedermayer (yes, one of Scotty's sons, currently at least plays under american flag)
5 foot 11 / 205 lbs
2022 draft eligible

Plays in the CSSHL for Okanagan Hockey Academy Red Prep
Leads his team in points (14 | 0.88 ppg) by d-men, is 5th in team points.
He is the youngest player of his team, also he is 2nd in points & ppg in the CSSHL of his age group by d-men

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Notre Dame putting together a really nice recruiting class with the '03 birth year thus far with Gallagher joining Justin Janicke and Sasha Pastujov. Gallagher had previously been committed to Miami (Ohio). They also already have Rutger McGroarty and Tyler Duke lined up in the '04 class. Notre Dame doesn't have the best track record on keeping its top flight commits, but if they can keep this core while adding to it, they could be putting together two really great classes back-to-back.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Anyone know much about Aram Minnetian? 2005 born from New Jersey. Plays with Mid-Fairfield and Bergen Catholic as a freshman. Was covered on The Ranger's intermission report for his 8 goals in first 2 games with Bergen Catholic.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Anyone know much about Aram Minnetian? 2005 born from New Jersey. Plays with Mid-Fairfield and Bergen Catholic as a freshman. Was covered on The Ranger's intermission report for his 8 goals in first 2 games with Bergen Catholic.

Is he a new convert to forward for those in the know?

According to USHR, he was a standout d-man at BU's '05 camp:
Aram Minnetian, Mid-Fairfield -- Big d-man who is also one of the best skaters in the age group. An excellent athlete, he will only get better. He should be an NTDP player when the time comes.

Looking at older rosters, he seems to have been listed as a d-man as well.

However, that tweet calls him a center and while it's hard to tell from the short highlights, he looks to be at forward in them.

New to forward? Still a d-man? Or another Seamus Casey situation?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
High school hockey in NJ isnt the highest level so he might be playing forward just to work on offensive skills. I always knew him as a dman and considering how good he has been at that position I doubt it is a full time change. I cant confirm it though.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
High school hockey in NJ isnt the highest level so he might be playing forward just to work on offensive skills. I always knew him as a dman and considering how good he has been at that position I doubt it is a full time change. I cant confirm it though.
It's not the best but it's one of the better high school leagues still going strong.. for a 14 year old it's a great level to be dominant at. Would like to see him make the jump to prep next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad