American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Can anyone tell more about Caden Brown and Chase Stillman? It looks like both are going to NCAA. Both are 03 so they would be NTDP eligible for next season. So the question is whether they are even close to that level.

Yup, Stillman's commitment to Providence College was a little surprising with his Dad being the head coach at Sudbury. As stated by Firecracker above, he may be using the commitment as leverage, so he can be drafted by his Dad's team. The case for his following through with the NCAA route - he's still at least 3 years away from being able to attend College, so who knows if his Dad will even still be coaching in the OHL then. If he does get selected for the NTDP (he's a dual-citizen), that does "get him out of Canada", and puts him more on an NCAA path. Also, the PC staff is very well respected for developing players for the NHL, and Stillman supposedly has developed a strong relationship with the staff.

This one is a ways away from playing out...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
came away impressed watching a kid out of Hamilton -OHL - Avery Hayes. I was watching more of Kaliyev, but Hayes stood out as a shifty fearless player...caught my eye and impressed me. he had a solid season last year for Honeybaked, and I believe was at the USNDP camp as well...just a name to keep tabs on as a late 02' he needs to grow some, but kid shows promise.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wouldn't be surprised to see York get a look for the WJC. Having a good year so far.

He's had a good year so far, but I think that Wilde and Miller probably get a chance first. Both are having great years, were early picks last year, and weren't at the Summer training camp. There's also a chance that none of them have a chance to make the team.

Reactions: kroypuck

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Seth Appert is failing miserably so far as a head coach with the NTDP. In his first season last year, he led the U18 team through a disappointing season, culminated in a silver medal at the IIHF U18, and now to start his second season, he led the U17s to an 8th (8th!!) place finish at the WHC17, their worst finish in 21 years (9th place in 1997).

Yes, Coach Wroblewski lucked out getting the 2001's for 2 seasons, but with Appert's coaching pedigree, he should be getting more out of these young men than he is right now. He's been a huge disappointment thus far.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
American friends that have talked us Sens fans off the ledge with Brady Tkachuk and Colin White in the past (and were 100% right - and all deserve gold stars), can you fill me in on Josh Norris?

Seems to be doing great with 8g/15pts in 11gp so far this year as the #1C at U of Michigan. He was kind of dragged through the mud by both Sharks and Sens fans when he came over in the Karlsson trade, unfairly to him.

And then most Sens fans we'rent too impressed when GM Dorion's first comment about Norris was "He's Brady Tkachuk's best friend!!". Which did not win him any immediate fan fare, considering the temperature in Ottawa at that time.

But could he have some top 6 upside? Or is he destined to be a 3rd/4th line grind em out kind of centerman, if at all? Hoping he could be a diamond in the rough.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
American friends that have talked us Sens fans off the ledge with Brady Tkachuk and Colin White in the past (and were 100% right - and all deserve gold stars), can you fill me in on Josh Norris?

Seems to be doing great with 8g/15pts in 11gp so far this year as the #1C at U of Michigan. He was kind of dragged through the mud by both Sharks and Sens fans when he came over in the Karlsson trade, unfairly to him.

And then most Sens fans we'rent too impressed when GM Dorion's first comment about Norris was "He's Brady Tkachuk's best friend!!". Which did not win him any immediate fan fare, considering the temperature in Ottawa at that time.

But could he have some top 6 upside? Or is he destined to be a 3rd/4th line grind em out kind of centerman, if at all? Hoping he could be a diamond in the rough.

I don't see how that comment would generate any issues, just seems like so many want to pile on EVERYTHING that is Ottawa...Yes, Norris and Brady are BFFs...but the more important part is that Norris was also his center with the USNDP..that means something and should.

I don't think they requested Norris as part of the Karlsson trade because of their familiarity, but it certainly can help down the road when the kid gets to the NHL to have someone he has played with in the past.

Norris has been such an up and down player the past 2 years. His deployment at Michigan has typically led to him going against the opposition's top lines...he usually takes that responsibility on as he did last year as well. His offensive numbers were okay to good and his play at the WJC last year was near invisible for me for a player of his stature. He will have an even bigger role at this WJC so hopefully we get to see him perform much better with his maturation.

Norris is a reminiscent player to Ryan Poehling, who both kids are responsible away from the puck but are not going to be these crazy offensive dynamos out there. I think very realistic expectations for Norris should be a pretty sure fire #3C with a nice peak at #2C...now obviously him meshing well with Tkachuk likely means at some point he probably plays top line minutes with Brady, but my point is his floor is a very solid #3C with the opportunity for much more if things fall right.

This trade is looking more and more by the day way in favor of the Senators as what you already have at the NHL level is producing from it, Balcers at the AHL level producing, and Norris is going to be here next year as well...add those picks in, whatever they turn out to be and what was viewed as a laugher by many looks to be like a really good trade for the Sens.

Norris has some things to work on so be a bit patient here, like Colin White he needed some AHL seasoning as well...I think Norris would benefit from that as well but just depends on the opportunity available and if he signs right after Michigan ends and jumps right in he could show he belongs no worse than a bottom 6 player right away...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't see how that comment would generate any issues, just seems like so many want to pile on EVERYTHING that is Ottawa...Yes, Norris and Brady are BFFs...but the more important part is that Norris was also his center with the USNDP..that means something and should.

I don't think they requested Norris as part of the Karlsson trade because of their familiarity, but it certainly can help down the road when the kid gets to the NHL to have someone he has played with in the past.

Norris has been such an up and down player the past 2 years. His deployment at Michigan has typically led to him going against the opposition's top lines...he usually takes that responsibility on as he did last year as well. His offensive numbers were okay to good and his play at the WJC last year was near invisible for me for a player of his stature. He will have an even bigger role at this WJC so hopefully we get to see him perform much better with his maturation.

Norris is a reminiscent player to Ryan Poehling, who both kids are responsible away from the puck but are not going to be these crazy offensive dynamos out there. I think very realistic expectations for Norris should be a pretty sure fire #3C with a nice peak at #2C...now obviously him meshing well with Tkachuk likely means at some point he probably plays top line minutes with Brady, but my point is his floor is a very solid #3C with the opportunity for much more if things fall right.

This trade is looking more and more by the day way in favor of the Senators as what you already have at the NHL level is producing from it, Balcers at the AHL level producing, and Norris is going to be here next year as well...add those picks in, whatever they turn out to be and what was viewed as a laugher by many looks to be like a really good trade for the Sens.

Norris has some things to work on so be a bit patient here, like Colin White he needed some AHL seasoning as well...I think Norris would benefit from that as well but just depends on the opportunity available and if he signs right after Michigan ends and jumps right in he could show he belongs no worse than a bottom 6 player right away...

Thanks for the detailed response!

Looking forward to seeing Norris is a Sens uniform in the coming years!

Reactions: AmericanDream

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’d add Declan McDonnell yo the ‘02’s. Forward, was the best player on the national champion jr. Sabre’s last year and is now playing fantastic for the Jr. Sabre’s OJHL team.

Also, add Tyler Procious the ‘03 defenseman. Extremely high I.Q. Would be surprised to not see him make the NTDP

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
When J Hughes, Turcotte and Zegras are all in the lineup do they each centre a different line?

We don't know. They've only played a couple of games in the same lineup this season because Turcotte has been injured for most of the season. I don't think they'll all play center though. What I suspect will happen is Zegras will play wing. There's still Beecher who plays center. He's most likely the third line center.

The last time Turcotte was in the lineup, the lineup was

Zegras-Hughes-Rolston
Boldy-Turcotte-Caufield
Farrell-Beecher-Caulfield
Gildon-Weight-Moynihan

That looks pretty close to what I'd expect. I think Kaliyev will play at the WJC18, as Hamilton sucks this year, so he could take the 1RW spot. If he does, move Rolston down to 3RW, and Caulfield down to 4RW.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Anyone know what the record is for Americans taken in the 1st round of the draft? Looks like 2019 is a bumper crop. I counted 9 and then picks 1, 2, and 4 in the second round are Americans.

2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com
2016 had 12 US Born players, that is how the NHL records these things as where a player is born and not what country they represent. Chychrun born in the US but plays for Canada...so 11 actual US players taken that year but 12 is what NHL.com will state.

in 2010 the US was credited with 10 first round picks and not 11 as Cam Fowler was born in Canada so he did not get credited to the US...but for those of us that view it as what country a player represents, both 2016 and 2010 are tied with 11 US kids taken in the first round...

Reactions: North Country

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Locks: Hughes, Turcotte, Boldy, Caufield, Zegras, York

Likely: Knight, Kaliyev

Maybe: Vlasic, Thrun, Brinkman, Robertson, Donovan, Meyer, Brink, Warren, Wolf, Beecher, Mastrosimone, Toporowski, Farinacci, Johnson, McCarthy, Helleson, Janicke

Some of the "maybe" category will be mid-round picks, but there are enough good players in that category that I think some of them will have really strong finishes to the season, and get their way into the first round. We don't need that many of them to. A couple of them go in the first, and that might be the most Americans ever in the first round.

Only question mark about Knight going in the first round is that goalies are never first round locks. He's definitely a first round talent though. Kaliyev is very polarizing. Some rank him outside the first round, while some people say he's a top 10 pick. I can't see any of the lock category falling outside the first round, although its possible that all could fall in their first round range.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Locks: Hughes, Turcotte, Boldy, Caufield, Zegras, York

Likely: Knight, Kaliyev

Maybe: Vlasic, Thrun, Brinkman, Robertson, Donovan, Meyer, Brink, Warren, Wolf, Beecher, Mastrosimone, Toporowski, Farinacci, Johnson, McCarthy, Helleson, Janicke

Some of the "maybe" category will be mid-round picks, but there are enough good players in that category that I think some of them will have really strong finishes to the season, and get their way into the first round. We don't need that many of them to. A couple of them go in the first, and that might be the most Americans ever in the first round.

Only question mark about Knight going in the first round is that goalies are never first round locks. He's definitely a first round talent though. Kaliyev is very polarizing. Some rank him outside the first round, while some people say he's a top 10 pick. I can't see any of the lock category falling outside the first round, although its possible that all could fall in their first round range.
I've been very impressed with the play of Brink, Brinkman and Janicke. Meyer was being treated for possible allergies for a month but ended up being a upper respiratory infection. Finally got healthy and now missing games with a bone contusion. Donovan had a concussion right before the start of the season and might still have ill affects with the slower than expected start. Sure would be great to see their full potential and a strong finish. Silianoff is another Minnesotan that has shown potential.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA just won gold at the World Junior A Challenge. Even though it's a tournament they should win most years, it's still nice to catch most of the games to see some of the depth players for Team USA.
  • Bobby Brink - I was most impressed with his compete level and how strong he is on his skates despite his average size. He's obviously got skill too. A bit careless with the puck, but I imagine he'll grow out of that as this is his first full year playing competitive hockey. Seems like a late first round pick at best, but more likely a second rounder.
  • Robert Mastrosimone - He's competitive and skilled, but he doesn't do himself, or his team, any favors by how much he overhandles the puck. He'd do well to simplify his game at times.
  • Ryan Johnson - He's a really intriguing player as he's a great skater and has fine size. He's had some decent hype, but he's never really played high-level competition until this year and unfortunately missed a high-profile chance at the Hlinka with injury. There's a lot to like in his game. He went head-to-head with Podkolzin in the gold medal game and completely neutralized him. I imagine if scouts think his offensive potential is there, he'll be pushing for the first round; if not, second round seems likely.
  • Shane Pinto - He's got some nice tools, but he doesn't really know how to use them yet. He's intriguing, but he's a project right now.
  • Zach Jones - He was hit or miss for me. When he was really going, he was great and often one of the best players on the ice. But then he'd make some really bad gaffes as well that had you shaking your head. Nonetheless, he has the type of tools that he could play his way into WJC contention next year despite not being a top prospect.
  • Some of the less heralded players like Parker Ford and Ronnie Attard showed pretty well too.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah I think your on to something with Johnson. He’s been sneaking into the top 2 rounds of some scouting service mock drafts lately and has all the tools. His rookie numbers in the USHL aren’t overwhelming considering he was a high output offensive defender in bantam/midget but it just may be that his skating/size/athleticism package translates better at higher levels to a more all-around defender. He made a big leap in competition too this season.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Been a very bitter sweet past year for USA international competitions. 3 silvers is great but each one has that 1 stinger. Tonight’s called back goal could have shifted the game and been the difference. The Hlinka after buzzer tying goal from Canada. And Wahlstrom missing the tap in at the end of the U18s. Again 3 runner ups is great but each one stings a little.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You think the Russians don't have complaints? The difference between the top 5 teams is razor thin, and often down to puck luck on a particular night.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
You think the Russians don't have complaints? The difference between the top 5 teams is razor thin, and often down to puck luck on a particular night.
Sure they do, but I'm an American fan watching Team USA, i'm not taking every single country into account of my fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->