America WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stockwizard said:
:lol "the kids with any talent gravitate towards some other sport" that is what I said.
Postman in a previous post just said this is not what he was trying to imply, so which is it?

You guys aren't even on the same wavelength.

If you do believe this, you have no clue.

One question: What sports do the majority of kids with athletic talent in the United States gravitate to? I can tell you right now it's not hockey.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
stockwizard said:
:lol "the kids with any talent gravitate towards some other sport" that is what I said.
Postman in a previous post just said this is not what he was trying to imply, so which is it?

Yes that's what you said, and I agree. First, no where did you imply it was kids with hockey talent, just talent in general, and when you mentioned sports, that implies that it's athletic ability you're equating talent with. Therefore, you're saying that the kids with any athletic ability gravitate towards some other sport, which is correct. Thanks for stopping by though.

stockwizard*

Rabid Ranger said:
One question: What sports do kids with athletic talent in the United States gravitate to?
I am saying they don't gravitate towards any particular sport. Hockey gets just as good of athletes as any other sport.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
stockwizard said:

I'll give it to you one more time, with hopes that if we hit you in the head with it long enough, it just might get through.

MOST American kids growing up, play either baseball, basketball, or football. Thus, MOST of the bigger, talented, more athletic kids play those three sports. However, there is a minority of talented, athletic kids in the U.S. who play hockey. But just because there are FEWER kids who play hockey rather than baseball, basketball, and football, does NOT mean that they are less talented. Just that there are less of them.

It seems so basic and easy to understand, but you manage to turn this into a multi-page debacle due to your own lack of comprehension.

If you still can't grasp it, tough luck. I'm done wasting time on this.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stockwizard said:
I am saying they don't gravitate towards any particular sport. Hockey gets just as good of athletes as any other sport.

That is not true in the United States. The best athletes are not playing hockey. I don't know why that's such a hard concept to understand.

stockwizard*

Rabid Ranger said:
That is not true in the United States. The best athletes are not playing hockey. I don't know why that's such a hard concept to understand.
Oh really, what are the best athletes playing?

stockwizard*

Postman said:
I'll give it to you one more time, with hopes that if we hit you in the head with it long enough, it just might get through.

MOST American kids growing up, play either baseball, basketball, or football. Thus, MOST of the bigger, talented, more athletic kids play those three sports. However, there is a minority of talented, athletic kids in the U.S. who play hockey. But just because there are FEWER kids who play hockey rather than baseball, basketball, and football, does NOT mean that they are less talented. Just that there are less of them.

It seems so basic and easy to understand, but you manage to turn this into a multi-page debacle due to your own lack of comprehension.

If you still can't grasp it, tough luck. I'm done wasting time on this.
Hey Postman, I see you edited out your post when you were caught going against your buddy Mobey. :lol

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
stockwizard said:
Hey Postman, I see you edited out your post when you were caught going against your buddy Mobey. :lol

I deleted my post altogether because I'm done. I agree with what Mobey said.

You're just grasping for your last few breaths at this point.

stockwizard*

Mobey said:
The majority of the best athletes are playing football, baseball, and basketball. One two three, it's easy as one two three.
I don't consider a 350 pound offensive lineman, or a 7 foot centre much of an athlete.
You guys still don't even know what you are saying.
Perhaps you should send some Private Messages with each other to get your story straight.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stockwizard said:
I don't consider a 350 pound offensive lineman, or a 7 foot centre much of an athlete.
Perhaps you should send some Private Messages with each other to get your story straight.

You don't consider Shaq an athlete? Or a lineman that can run like a safety?

stockwizard*

Rabid Ranger said:
You don't consider Shaq an athlete? Or a lineman that can run like a safety?
So I was right. You guys are saying the Basketball, Football, and Baseball athlete is superior to that of Hockey.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
stockwizard said:

You don't know much then. How many of the NFL players are 350 pound offensive lineman? Basketball players 7 foot centers? Don't want to touch baseball huh? Your jingoism is pathetic.

Did your daddy make you play goalie as a kid with no helmet?

stockwizard*

Mobey said:
You don't know much then. How many of the NFL players are 350 pound offensive lineman? Basketball players 7 foot centers? Don't want to touch baseball huh? Your jingoism is pathetic.

Did your daddy make you play goalie as a kid with no helmet?
I am glad you guys are finally starting to say what you actually mean.
That the basketball, football, baseball athlete is superior to that of hockey.

I won't end my post with the little put downs like you do. :shakehead

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
stockwizard said:
I am glad you guys are finally starting to say what you actually mean.
That the basketball, football, baseball athlete is superior to that of hockey.

I won't end my post with the little put downs like you do. :shakehead

No where did anyone say that. Why do you find it necessary to hijack every thread that doesn't involve your Michael Jackson-like obsession with Crosby? What, Ovechkin wasn't enough? Nor was any thread regarding Kessel? Or this thread?

You're a troll. The only thing you're contributing to the boards is a decline in quality posting.

stockwizard*

Mobey said:
The majority of the best athletes are playing football, baseball, and basketball. One two three, it's easy as one two three.
Well, here is one of many examples.
Back to name calling again, eh? I guess you can't help yourself.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
stockwizard said:
Well, here is one of many examples.
Back to name calling again, eh? I guess you can't help yourself.

That's not an example. That says the majority, which doesn't mean 100 percent. 51 percent is a majority there pal. The implication being that hockey does get some of the best American talent based on athletic ability.

Name calling is overrated Stockwizard. Oh look, I did it again.

stockwizard*

Mobey said:
That's not an example. That says the majority, which doesn't mean 100 percent. 51 percent is a majority there pal. The implication being that hockey does get some of the best American talent based on athletic ability.

Name calling is overrated Stockwizard. Oh look, I did it again.
Perhaps you should take some time alone to sort out you're own thoughts.

I guess you still have no idea what you are trying to say.

stockwizard*

Rabid Ranger said:
Here is another example.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
stockwizard said:
Not everybody in football weigh 350lbs (but even some of them get good times on the 40). You are missing the point completely. Most American athletes aren't interested in hockey. Its just not that popular in the US. You can't tell me you wouldn't drool at the thought of having Mike Vick, Deon Sanders, Brain Urlacher or Ray Lewis on skates would you?

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
db23 said:
Nickerson is the only player available who can go out on the ice without embarrassing the team and be an intimidating presence at the same time. I could see Jack Johnson playing ahead of Jeff Likens because he is much more of a physical presence and at least as talented, but Nickerson will be there unless he breaks a leg. A defense with Nickerson, Johnson, Thelen, Suter, Lewis and Hunwick should be able to handle the big Canadian forwards reasonably. All of them are over 200 pounds with the possible exception of Suter, and he plays pretty tough. Jeff Likesn and Jimmy Sharrow would just get steamrolled out there.

db, just exactly how many Clarkson games did you see this past season? Matt had put his team in numerous shorthanded situations, some of which came at possibly THE worst time in the game because of bad, stupid penalties or simply not keeping his emotions in check. While I agree that Matt is a very good player who's an absolute terror out there, he's not good to Team USA if he can't stay out of the box and/or keep his emotions in check. There are FAR too many very good teams that play in the WJC (not just Canada) and Team USA simply can't afford to have a player who could be a liability.

One player that everyone seems to be forgetting about that will get some consideration is Dylan Reese. He was replaced by Matt Hunwick on the Team USA squad earlier this season due to injury. He had a great finish to this past season at Harvard and he's got the goods to vie for a spot on Team USA's roster. Also, should he and Grant Lewis make the squad maybe the two youngsters can be blueline partners, after all they're best friends and both played together w/the Pittsburgh Forge.

stockwizard*

MissionHockey said:
Not everybody in football weigh 350lbs (but even some of them get good times on the 40). You are missing the point completely. Most American athletes aren't interested in hockey. Its just not that popular in the US. You can't tell me you wouldn't drool at the thought of having Mike Vick, Deon Sanders, Brain Urlacher or Ray Lewis on skates would you?
Yes, not as many kids in the U.S. play hockey. I understand this part.

Perhaps some of you Americans think that since the 12% of the U.S. population that is Black, don't play hockey, therefore their best athletes don't play hockey.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
stockwizard said:
Yes, not as many kids in the U.S. play hockey. I understand this part.
Well thats the only part they've been trying to get through to you.

Perhaps some of you Americans think that since the 12% of the U.S. population that is Black, don't play hockey, therefore their best athletes don't play hockey.
Well I don't think they meant that, but I also think its a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->