America WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
It's hopeless with some people Postman. I understood your post the second I read it, because the alternate interpretation is laughable (not even considering hockey, interpreting that way would be saying that baseball players are better athletes than say, Lance Armstrong).

Exactly.

Thank you.

stockwizard*

Postman said:
Exactly.

Thank you.
You're welcome.
Let's get back to the topic of how Kessel is going to get drilled into the endboards vs. Team Canada.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
stockwizard said:
Your welcome.
Let's get back to the topic of how Kessel is going to get drilled into the endboards vs. Team Canada.

Sometimes I truly wonder if you're serious, because no one can be this bad.

stockwizard*

Postman, you're right. The States doesn't produce as many good hockey players because not as many people play hockey.

Very good analysis! :handclap:

Reilly311

If hockey was the #1 sport in america, they'd have the best nhl players.

stockwizard*

Reilly311 said:
If hockey was the #1 sport in america, they'd have the best nhl players.
They would definetely have more than they do now.
Canada has such a passion for the sport though, so it would be a toss up between the two.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
The Americans will be in tough against the Canadians in North Dakota, espcially on the North American ice surface. Unless the arena in North Dakota has Euro size ice, and even then it could be trouble for the USA. If there is a lockout, guys like Horton, Stewart, Belle, Phaneuf, Seabrooke, Burns, Coburn and possibly guys like Weber, Fraser, Chipchura, Fistric, Ladd, Crombeen, etc. will manhandle the Americans along the boards and in front of the net. If there is no lockout, things will be much easier on the Americans.

You mean like last year? Size isn't everything.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
stockwizard said:
They would definetely have more than they do now.
Canada has such a passion for the sport though, so it would be a toss up between the two.

Dude - I'm as Canadian as they come, but you are a bit out to lunch. If the US played hockey as much as they do the other three sports, they would absolutely crush us. Hell they're halfway decent with virtually noone playing it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
oil slick said:
Dude - I'm as Canadian as they come, but you are a bit out to lunch. If the US played hockey as much as they do the other three sports, they would absolutely crush us. Hell they're halfway decent with virtually noone playing it.

Half-way decent? The U.S. was the only nation to win a medal at all four major IIHF sponsored events last year.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
oil slick said:

But they don't... I don't care IF they do it... They HAVE to do it for me to believe they can crush Canada.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
MePutPuckInNet said:
yeah....that's kind of what I was thinking. It's what everyone said last year, too. That didn't turn out so well for Canada now, did it....

Maybe they where sooo big that Fleury though the puck was an ant?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Russian_fanatic said:
But they don't... I don't care IF they do it... They HAVE to do it for me to believe they can crush Canada.

It isn't going to happen anytime soon. Hockey is growing in the U.S., for sure, but it's doing so very gradually. There seems to be more and more American talent lately in the drafts, but the U.S. is going to have to produce players consistently rather than in waves in order to be successful.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MePutPuckInNet said:
yeah....that's kind of what I was thinking. It's what everyone said last year, too. That didn't turn out so well for Canada now, did it....

and by the way did you guys see this study from ESPN? Sport Skills Difficulty ranking

Size (especially if coupled with speed and skill) is a great attribute, but it isn't the only harbinger of success. There are several defensemen in the NHL right now who are average to below average in size that get the job done just fine.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Postman said:
It isn't going to happen anytime soon. Hockey is growing in the U.S., for sure, but it's doing so very gradually. There seems to be more and more American talent lately in the drafts, but the U.S. is going to have to produce players consistently rather than in waves in order to be successful.

Well... It's getting better in America, but Canada will always be superior IMO, because of the passion that Canadians put into the game. Nothing against the U.S. because I think they have great passion too!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
I agree with those rankings. Though I would have baseball higher.

Boxing is the only sport which I think is a lot harder than hockey, having done both.

I was reading about the style of boxing engaged in in Ancient Greece, and let's just say it would make modern boxing look like a night at your local dinner theater.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Russian_fanatic said:
Well... It's getting better in America, but Canada will always be superior IMO, because of the passion that Canadians put into the game. Nothing against the U.S. because I think they have great passion too!

Hockey will always be Canada's game, but I don't think it's safe to say Canada will always be the best internationally. Look at the U.S. in basketball and even baseball, other countries have caught up and on any given day can be the best.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
I was reading about the style of boxing engaged in in Ancient Greece, and let's just say it would make modern boxing look like a night at your local dinner theater.

Yeah, modern day boxing isn't as brutal, for sure. It's much more about technique. But it's still quite hard on the body and extremely tiring.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
Yeah, modern day boxing isn't as brutal, for sure. It's much more about technique. But it's still quite hard on the body and extremely tiring.

No doubt. You have to be a man's man to engage in boxing. It was just the ancient type was bare nuckle, except for when they put metal studs on their hands and beat each other senseless!

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Canada may indeed have the best team on paper but as so many of us have said for so long, the game isn't played on paper.

The U.S. has a very good chance of repeating their Gold medal performance and I would be disappointed and down right shocked if they did not at least finish with the bronze.

I am not trying to be a "homer" but the U.S. has an asset that has thus far escaped Canada. The U.S. can come together as a TEAM far easier and quicker than Canada could ever hope to. The vast majority of the players on the U.S. squad will know one another on a unique basis that can only come from the bonds created by playing for a team.

Canada is a better collection of individual talent but individuals will never beat a team.

db23

It will probably depend on Sidney Crosby. He is at the point that he can take over a tournament and dominate it. On the other hand, Phil Kessel probably isn't far behind in that respect. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Nickerson out there keeping a watchful eye on young Phil.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
No doubt. You have to be a man's man to engage in boxing. It was just the ancient type was bare nuckle, except for when they put metal studs on their hands and beat each other senseless!

Ouch. The way boxers are trained today, they could kill you with their bare knuckles. Let alone with metal studs.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Size (especially if coupled with speed and skill) is a great attribute, but it isn't the only harbinger of success. There are several defensemen in the NHL right now who are average to below average in size that get the job done just fine.
dude, i was agreeing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad