America WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Where's the talanted goal scorer Marc Andre Fleury? He played for US last year didn't he?

degroat*

montreal said:
It's up to the Blues if they want him there or not, I hope he goes, Belarus will need all the help they can get.

Unfortunately for Belarus, I doubt they'll let him go. If the they didn't own the Icecats, then I could see them letting him go.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
HabLover said:
There is no way O'Sullivan would be a 1st line center for Canada.

Suter could make Canada's D, but where do you put him if guys like Seabrook, Phaneuf, Belle, Coburn, Green, Barker play for the team. I doubt a guy like Thelen could unseat any of the Canadian D-men.

Iam the biggest Canadian hockey fan their is , but you have to give credit where credit is due....

O'Sullivan tore us apart last year the only Center better than him is Crosby... but it doesn't look like canadian hockey gave him the chance to show how good he was at last years WJHC because thye put him with guys who couldn't put the puck in the net....

Thelen is better than Green and on any given day could be better than Barker, especially in an international setting. Both equal talents in my books.

Suter was one of if not Americas best D last year and they beat us didn't they? He deserves a top 4 or 5 spot on our squad for sure.

and Montoya would be there for obvious reasons....

db23

Stich said:
Speaking of Belarus.... their best forward last year, Zakharov, is leaving the CHL for the AHL this year. Does anyone know if teams typically allow WJC eligible prospects to leave the minors to play in the tournament?

Ooooh.....that hurt montreal, I bet.

He is a huge Kostitsyn fan........ ;)

Funkymoses

I don't think Nickerson will be on the team for reasons other than anti-CHL bias. He is a very big dude, sure, but a notoriously poor skater and the international rules and rink will bring that deficiency to the forefront. Plus last year he had a knack for taking unnecessary, dumb penalties.

If it's close for the 7th D spot I assume Johnson will get the nod, as he's younger than the other candidates.

The US will be strong again next year, though they'll have to find the right balance between their little playmaking dudes and their larger counterparts. PP looks downright intimidating... Thelen, Hensick, Schremp, Kessel, O'Sullivan... nasty!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Funkymoses said:
I don't think Nickerson will be on the team for reasons other than anti-CHL bias. He is a very big dude, sure, but a notoriously poor skater and the international rules and rink will bring that deficiency to the forefront. Plus last year he had a knack for taking unnecessary, dumb penalties.

If it's close for the 7th D spot I assume Johnson will get the nod, as he's younger than the other candidates.

The US will be strong again next year, though they'll have to find the right balance between their little playmaking dudes and their larger counterparts. PP looks downright intimidating... Thelen, Hensick, Schremp, Kessel, O'Sullivan... nasty!

Good points on Nickerson, I was just trying to give the blueline a little size. We'll see, maybe they'll just try to finesse the puck out of trouble, although that could be a problem against more physical opponents. The 2004/05 roster just might be the most skilled team the U.S. has ever iced. I hope they can make up for the size disadvantage.

Last edited:

stockwizard*

While the Canadian team looks better on paper, the U.S. team has probably played more together.
With a one game take all final, they definetely have a good chance of taking it all.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Postman said:
Exactly. Most of the country's top athletes are attracted to three sports, none of which are hockey.

Ok, now you are saying a 6'11 basketball player or a 350lb defensive tackle or even a placekicker could've played hockey and if they had of, they would be better than an O'Sullivan, Schremp, Fritsche, Suter, Kessel, etc.???? What if a Thelen, O'Sullivan or a Suter had of played baseball, football or basketball, are you saying they wouldn't have excelled??? Are they inferior to all other athletes in other sports??

Who's a better athlete, Mario Lemieux or a Ken Griffey? How about a Mike Modano or a Peyton Manning??

stockwizard*

Postman said:
Exactly. Most of the country's top athletes are attracted to three sports, none of which are hockey.
You better rethink that. You are saying the football or baseball athlete is better than the hockey athlete.
I agree a smaller share of the U.S. population goes out for hockey, but what makes you think that a 7'0 freak that plays basketball is better than the hockey athlete?

db23

Rabid Ranger said:
Good points on Nickerson, I was just trying to give the blueline a little size. We'll see, maybe they'll just try to finesse the puck out of trouble, although that could be a problem against more physical opponents. The 2004/05 roster just might be the most skilled team the U.S. has ever iced. I hope that can make up for the size disadvantage.

Disagree on Nickerson. There is a huge difference in overall team size between the U.S. and Canadian teams, and i think that the U.S. coaches would want Nickerson there as an equalizer. You know that the Canadians are going to be running guys like Hensick and Kessel every chance they get. Who is going to hold Phaneuf, Belle, Seabrooke, Stewert, Getzlaf etc., accountable if Nickerson isn't there? I think they will include Mike Brown and Nickerson to deal with the rough stuff. Those two can handle any Canadian player one on one.

stockwizard*

Oh yes. Kessel I am sure will get driven into the endboards so hard when they play team Canada.
Should be fun for us to intimidate the poor lad.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
stockwizard said:
Oh yes. Kessel I am sure will get driven into the endboards so hard when they play team Canada.

The US should have a suprisingly strong team. A lot of them have played together before, so the chemistry should be easier to find and such.

It's going to be a close one this year!

db23

stockwizard said:

Well, "wizard" if you don't think that intimidation plays a part in international competitions, I've got some really great stocks in the booming 8 track cassette industry that I'll let you in on the ground floor. ;)

stockwizard*

db23 said:
Well, "wizard" if you don't think that intimidation plays a part in international competitions, I've got some really great stocks in the booming 8 track cassette industry that I'll let you in on the ground floor. ;)
What are you talking about. I think intimidation does play a factor. Perhaps you should reread my post.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
db23 said:
Disagree on Nickerson. There is a huge difference in overall team size between the U.S. and Canadian teams, and i think that the U.S. coaches would want Nickerson there as an equalizer. You know that the Canadians are going to be running guys like Hensick and Kessel every chance they get. Who is going to hold Phaneuf, Belle, Seabrooke, Stewert, Getzlaf etc., accountable if Nickerson isn't there? I think they will include Mike Brown and Nickerson to deal with the rough stuff. Those two can handle any Canadian player one on one.

The Americans will be in tough against the Canadians in North Dakota, espcially on the North American ice surface. Unless the arena in North Dakota has Euro size ice, and even then it could be trouble for the USA. If there is a lockout, guys like Horton, Stewart, Belle, Phaneuf, Seabrooke, Burns, Coburn and possibly guys like Weber, Fraser, Chipchura, Fistric, Ladd, Crombeen, etc. will manhandle the Americans along the boards and in front of the net. If there is no lockout, things will be much easier on the Americans.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
HabLover said:
Ok, now you are saying a 6'11 basketball player or a 350lb defensive tackle or even a placekicker could've played hockey and if they had of, they would be better than an O'Sullivan, Schremp, Fritsche, Suter, Kessel, etc.????

If that's what I was saying, don't you think I would've flat-out said it? Maybe not necessarily a 6'11'' basketball player or a 350 lbs defensive tackle, but guys like Jeremy Shockey, Michael Vick, etc.

Most kids growing up in the U.S. are attracted to playing baseball, basketball, or football. Not hockey. Thus, most of the athletic kids will be playing those three sports, not hockey. It's really simple logic.

HabLover said:
What if a Thelen, O'Sullivan or a Suter had of played baseball, football or basketball, are you saying they wouldn't have excelled??? Are they inferior to all other athletes in other sports??

What did I say that was even remotely close to suggesting something like that? What part of the word "most" do you not understand?

HabLover said:
Who's a better athlete, Mario Lemieux or a Ken Griffey? How about a Mike Modano or a Peyton Manning??

All those players you mentioned are great atheletes. But you're missing the point ENTIRELY.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
stockwizard said:
You better rethink that. You are saying the football or baseball athlete is better than the hockey athlete.

What is it about the word "most" that makes it so hard to understand? I know they teach the meaning of the word up in Canada.

The simple fact, and I'll say it again for those of you with difficulties in processing information, is that MOST of the kids in the U.S. play baseball, basketball, and football. Thus, by simple reasoning, you could infer that most of the athletic kids in the U.S. play those three sports, rather than hockey. Seeing as how hockey is by far the least popular of the three in the U.S., fewer (a smaller quantity) of the athletic kids end up playing it.

stockwizard said:
I agree a smaller share of the U.S. population goes out for hockey, but what makes you think that a 7'0 freak that plays basketball is better than the hockey athlete?

Again, when did I say that baseball, basketball, and football players are better athletes than hockey players?

stockwizard*

Obvioulsly the U.S. would have a higher representation in the NHL if the whole country was playing hockey.

Postman, you make it sound like the best athletes are playing football and baseball, when this is not the case. The U.S. produces more good Football players, but the NHL players that they do produce are just as talented or more talented IMO

I believe the American kids playing in the NHL should take a backseat to no athlete.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
stockwizard said:
Obvioulsly the U.S. would have a higher representation in the NHL if the whole country was playing hockey.

Postman, you make it sound like the best athletes are playing football and baseball, when this is not the case. The U.S. produces more good Football players, but the NHL players that they do produce are just as talented or more talented IMO

I believe the American kids playing in the NHL should take a backseat to no athlete.

I'll let you read my post to you earlier, seeing as how responding to this would just be redundant.

stockwizard*

Postman said:
Well, here is your post again.

What would make more sense is if you said that since most of our population is more interested in Baseball and Football, we produce on average less hockey players.

stockwizard*

Postman said:
Would you like me to draw you a picture? I could run to the store and grab a box of crayons and draw you up a nice puuuuurdy picture.
Well I am not the only one that thought you used the wrong words to describe what you are trying to say.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
It's hopeless with some people Postman. I understood your post the second I read it, because the alternate interpretation is laughable (not even considering hockey, interpreting that way would be saying that baseball players are better athletes than say, Lance Armstrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->