America WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Here's my prediction for who USA will win their 2nd WJC in a row with.

Montoya
Schneider

Likens
Suter
Hunwick
Lewis
Nickerson
Thelen
Sharrow

(Johnson and Lashoff are probably better than some on that list but I think age will be the determing factor here but I do think atleast 1 of the 2 will make the team probably becauase of injury.)

Dowell
Fritsche
O'Sullivan
Stafford
Hennessy
Hensick
Pineault
Schremp
Earl
Kessell
Vigilante
Brown
Wheeler- (draft position helps here, plus if the forward list i provided is anywhere close to accurate, his size will be GREATLY needed....what is in US water that makes our forwards so short?)

Last edited:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
Here's my prediction for who USA will win their 2nd WJC in a row with.

Montoya
Schneider

Likens
Suter
Hunwick
Lewis
Nickerson
Thelen
Sharrow

(Johnson and Lashoff are probably better than some on that list but I think age will be the determing factor here but I do think atleast 1 of the 2 will make the team probably becauase of injury.)

Dowell
Fritsche
O'Sullivan
Stafford
Hennessy
Hensick
Pineault
Schremp
Earl
Kessell
Vigilante
Brown
Wheeler- (draft position helps here, plus if the forward list i provided is anywhere close to accurate, his size will be GREATLY needed....what is in US water that makes our forwards so short?)

Team USA will not win a 2nd Gold Medal in a row with the team you listed. For starters, Fritsche, Stafford and Suter could all be in the NHL next season with any luck. If there is an NHL season, it's almost for sure Fritsche will be with Columbus and more than likely will not be released for Team USA. Stafford is doubtful to make the show, but hey, you never know? Suter could surprise and make the NHL?

If any or all of those guys aren't there, Team USA becomes extremely vulnerable. They have holes everywhere, other than in goal, but I would hope Montoya to really be on his game next year, cuz then we'll all see what he's really made of. The Americans were lucky to win the Gold medal game last year and will get destroyed by Canada this time around with that lineup.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
Team USA will not win a 2nd Gold Medal in a row with the team you listed. For starters, Fritsche, Stafford and Suter could all be in the NHL next season with any luck. If there is an NHL season, it's almost for sure Fritsche will be with Columbus and more than likely will not be released for Team USA. Stafford is doubtful to make the show, but hey, you never know? Suter could surprise and make the NHL?

If any or all of those guys aren't there, Team USA becomes extremely vulnerable. They have holes everywhere, other than in goal, but I would hope Montoya to really be on his game next year, cuz then we'll all see what he's really made of. The Americans were lucky to win the Gold medal game last year and will get destroyed by Canada this time around with that lineup.

Are sour grapes as sour as I hear?

db23

Having O'Sullivan, Schremp, Hensick and Kessel down the middle is quite awesome, but I don't know that here would be room for 4 small offensive centres.

db23

HabLover said:

Suter couldn't come to terms with Nashville so he will be back. I think that Jack Johnson might be just as good, anyway. Team Canada would be lose a lot more from NHL callups than the U.S. in any event.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
db23 said:
Having O'Sullivan, Schremp, Hensick and Kessel down the middle is quite awesome, but I don't know that here would be room for 4 small offensive centres.

You guys are really under estamating Josh Hennessy

Just watch, he will be the second best player in the Q behind Crosby

bizzz*

HabLover said:
For starters, Fritsche, Stafford and Suter could all be in the NHL next season with any luck. If there is an NHL season, it's almost for sure Fritsche will be with Columbus and more than likely will not be released for Team USA.
Maybe he meant Tom Fritsche. He's a younger brother of Danny, played for the USA team on the U-18 WC this year in Minsk and just entered Ohio-State University.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mobey said:
Are sour grapes as sour as I hear?

Must be. It kills some people to give credit where credit is due I guess..... In all of his rambling, he does make a good point: the U.S. roster could be vulnerable depending on how many players stick with their NHL teams, but IMO, that probably won't be an issue, which is a benefit of having so many guys from the NCAA. A much differant dynamic than junior based players. Anyway, here's my team:

Goaltenders:

Al Montoya
Mike Brown

Defensemen:
Ryan Suter
Matt Hunwick
Jeff Likens
Matt Nickerson
Jim Sharrow
A.J. Thelen
Grant Lewis
Matt Lashoff

Forwards:
Patrick O'Sullivan
T.J. Hensick
Dan Fritsche
Josh Hennessey
Jake Dowell
Drew Stafford
Blake Wheeler
Phil Kessel
Adam Pineault
Ryan Callahan
Kevin Porter
Rob Schremp

Undersized, but as skilled as they come. Should challenge for a medal.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Must be. It kills some people to give credit where credit is due I guess..... In all of his rambling, he does make a good point: the U.S. roster could be vulnerable depending on how many players stick with their NHL teams, but IMO, that probably won't be an issue, which is a benefit of having so many guys from the NCAA. A much differant dynamic than junior based players. Anyway, here's my team:

Goaltenders:

Al Montoya
Mike Brown

Defensemen:
Ryan Suter
Matt Hunwick
Jeff Likens
Matt Nickerson
Jim Sharrow
A.J. Thelen
Grant Lewis
Matt Lashoff

Forwards:
Patrick O'Sullivan
T.J. Hensick
Dan Fritsche
Josh Hennessey
Jake Dowell
Drew Stafford
Blake Wheeler
Phil Kessel
Adam Pineault
Ryan Callahan
Kevin Porter
Rob Schremp

Six or seven of those defensemen would not make Team Canada.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Juan said:

No offense, but so what? That could probably be said year in and year out. Canada still hasn't won gold at the WJC's since '97. All that matters is they play solidly for the U.S. and work together as a team, just like last year.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Juan said:

The only players that would make Canada would be:
Montoya
Suter ( on line for canada's 4th D spot with Belle)
Thelan (3rd D behind Phaneuf and Coburn)
O Sullivan ( First Line Center for Canada possibly)
Fritsche (top two lines)
Scremp ( Top two lines)
possibly Stafford (as a role player 11, 12th forward taking Cullitton or Dixons place)

Just my opinion BUT Canada at the junior level is so deep it's sick.
However the USA is a very good team and will challenge for a medal. With the right luck they could end up with the gold again.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought Schremp said he wouldn't play for Team USA after not being on last years team? Maybe the Oilers can talk some sense into him.

And I was under the impression that Suter was returning to Wisconsin, is he going to sign instead?

Either way, Canada, USA, Russia are all looking strong with Finland right there as well. I look forward to seeing Belarus as well, hope there's good tv coverage from North Dakota.

degroat*

montreal said:
I look forward to seeing Belarus as well

Speaking of Belarus.... their best forward last year, Zakharov, is leaving the CHL for the AHL this year. Does anyone know if teams typically allow WJC eligible prospects to leave the minors to play in the tournament?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
The only players that would make Canada would be:
Montoya
Suter ( on line for canada's 4th D spot with Belle)
Thelan (3rd D behind Phaneuf and Coburn)
O Sullivan ( First Line Center for Canada possibly)
Fritsche (top two lines)
Scremp ( Top two lines)
possibly Stafford (as a role player 11, 12th forward taking Cullitton or Dixons place)

Just my opinion BUT Canada at the junior level is so deep it's sick.
However the USA is a very good team and will challenge for a medal. With the right luck they could end up with the gold again.

There is no way O'Sullivan would be a 1st line center for Canada.

Suter could make Canada's D, but where do you put him if guys like Seabrook, Phaneuf, Belle, Coburn, Green, Barker play for the team. I doubt a guy like Thelen could unseat any of the Canadian D-men.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Rabid Ranger said:

Goaltenders:

Al Montoya
Mike Brown

Defensemen:
Ryan Suter
Matt Hunwick
Jeff Likens
Matt Nickerson
Jim Sharrow
A.J. Thelen
Grant Lewis
Matt Lashoff

Forwards:
Patrick O'Sullivan
T.J. Hensick
Dan Fritsche
Josh Hennessey
Jake Dowell
Drew Stafford
Blake Wheeler
Phil Kessel
Adam Pineault
Ryan Callahan
Kevin Porter
Rob Schremp

That's a very good looking team and probably among the perfect they could take to the games.

However the problem is that the US rarely takes all the right players because of its obvious bias towards the CHL, while being loyal to the boys who run through the Development programs.

I highly doubt Matt Lashoff makes it, simply because in the past they've left CHL guys off in their draft year. Lashoff would probably only be the second unit powerplay guy and a used sparingly 5 on 5 defenseman, so my bet would be on them taking someone else.

It will also be interesting to see what they do with Matt Nickerson and Adam Pineault because they left college for other endeavours. Nickerson for the CHL, and Pineault (who knows yet). But I'd be curious as to if they'd leave these guys off the team simply because of their actions towards the US program.

But regardless it's going to be a very good looking team.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
HabLover said:

Suter could make Canada's D, but where do you put him if guys like Seabrook, Phaneuf, Belle, Coburn, Green, Barker play for the team. I doubt a guy like Thelen could unseat any of the Canadian D-men.

I'd take Suter over any of Canada's defenseman save Phaneuf. IMO Phaneuf and Suter are the top defensive prospects in the game.

And I'd take Thelen over Belle and Green.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Brock said:
That's a very good looking team and probably among the perfect they could take to the games.

However the problem is that the US rarely takes all the right players because of its obvious bias towards the CHL, while being loyal to the boys who run through the Development programs.

I highly doubt Matt Lashoff makes it, simply because in the past they've left CHL guys off in their draft year. Lashoff would probably only be the second unit powerplay guy and a used sparingly 5 on 5 defenseman, so my bet would be on them taking someone else.

It will also be interesting to see what they do with Matt Nickerson and Adam Pineault because they left college for other endeavours. Nickerson for the CHL, and Pineault (who knows yet). But I'd be curious as to if they'd leave these guys off the team simply because of their actions towards the US program.

But regardless it's going to be a very good looking team.

You're right about the usual bias towards the CHL, but I always hope that will change! As for Lashoff, if not him, I'd probably name Jack Johnson. The thing with him is I think it will come down to either him or Kessel, and I'm not sure who will be taken (if at all). They play differant positions but are both very young.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:

Where would you take him? How about ahead of everyone of the guys you have listed except for Phaneuf?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
montreal said:
I thought Schremp said he wouldn't play for Team USA after not being on last years team? Maybe the Oilers can talk some sense into him.

And I was under the impression that Suter was returning to Wisconsin, is he going to sign instead?

Either way, Canada, USA, Russia are all looking strong with Finland right there as well. I look forward to seeing Belarus as well, hope there's good tv coverage from North Dakota.

Schremp's comments of late (I'll try to find the link) indicate he would play if asked.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Stich said:
Speaking of Belarus.... their best forward last year, Zakharov, is leaving the CHL for the AHL this year. Does anyone know if teams typically allow WJC eligible prospects to leave the minors to play in the tournament?

It's up to the Blues if they want him there or not, I hope he goes, Belarus will need all the help they can get.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
go kim johnsson said:
The NBA and the NFL and baseball

Exactly. Most of the country's top athletes are attracted to three sports, none of which are hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->