TV: Amazon: Sneaky Pete

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Pretty good 10 episode series with Bryan Cronston being a bad guy. You can tell difference between the pilot that was made for network TV and the second episode which is when Amazon picked it up. Cool web of cons and it's well acted and written, worth checking out if you got a day to kill and want to binge something

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I thoroughly enjoyed it. There's a big difference between the first episode and the rest. Graham Yost from Justified is the show runner from episode 2 on and it shows. The list of good actors in this is pretty long. Hopefully it will get another season, which they set up rather well.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yeah the pilot was meh and I watched in a while ago but the rest of it is turning out very good. I like how they're not just sticking to the main story line and introducing other elements.

Cranston is killing it as usual.

I'm about half way through...

[spoil]it seems like "Pete" is wasting his time and headaches dealing with this family when he's so talented he could have made the money in other ways by now[/spoil]

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Just watched the 1st episode. It was pretty average, but I know that was the CBS one so I plan to keep going.

It gets much much better. Graham Yost is a great show runner, by the end everything is humming along, even with all the twists and turns.

It got the second season, Amazon didn't waste any time renewing it.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'm 5 episodes deep so far and I'm liking it a lot, glad it was picked up for another season

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I've got 2 episodes left...but finding this convoluted and stupid. There is some decent acting, but some of the scenarios are so unbelievably far-fetched that's it's hard to not just roll your eyes at the plot. If this is one of the crown jewels of Amazon's original programming, then they should fire the entire creative department. Netflix>>>>Amazon

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
I've got 2 episodes left...but finding this convoluted and stupid. There is some decent acting, but some of the scenarios are so unbelievably far-fetched that's it's hard to not just roll your eyes at the plot. If this is one of the crown jewels of Amazon's original programming, then they should fire the entire creative department. Netflix>>>>Amazon

Not sure what your expectations were going in but it seems fairly representative of your classic con/heist narrative, probably even one of the more subdued examples. It does push the limits of suspension of disbelief a bit here and there, but the genre generally does. At least here there's enough space in the ten episodes to flesh out the various characters' motivations and flaws to make their various threads' convergence feel organic, even if a standard of plausibility akin to real life wasn't quite met.

Also I'd disagree that Netflix is very much better when it comes to in-house production; though they do have a few more originals I enjoy, the only serial I'd qualify as significantly superior would be S1 of House of Cards. Other than that I'd say the best work of both services (at least that I've sampled) is fairly on par--usually decent to good, occasionally excellent, but not immune to blunder and stumble. I wouldn't call either worth tribalizing over.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Netflix just has more original content at this point,

House Of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Narcos are pretty good. Some people probably put Bloodline and Stranger Things in there as well.

I don't care for Marvel stuff. I think Sneaky Pete falls in to that Bloodline category for me.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've got 2 episodes left and while I like the show I feel it's a bit hit and miss. There's been a few really good moments that worked but too often I feel like they just can't pull it off. I feel like there's a really good show in there somewhere but they have to tighten up a bit to make it work.

Overall I think it's enjoyable though.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just finished Season One

It's a bit of a slow burn. It doesn't really pick up until the last few episodes, but I'd say the investment eventually pays off

Overall, I'd give it somewhere in the neighbourhood of a 6.5 or 7 out of 10

I'll definitely be checking out Season Two

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
two episodes in and so far, It's keeping my attention.

Big time jump from epi 1 to 2.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Finished last night. It was a pretty good 1st season with a few bumps along the way. Overall pretty enjoyable though.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Just watched episode 8. I thought it was really good.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Justified-lite, an entertaining way to spend several hours. Cranston is incredible as always, but that's not to discredit the rest of the cast who is also very good. Ribisi makes for a likeable protagonist that you really root for.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Just finished season 3. I love this show. The way it zig zags from one twist to another is great. I honestly think that if Ribisi was a bit bigger, he could have made an excellent Joker.

Reactions: SeidoN

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just finished Season Three

I couldn't have cared less about the search for their mom. And then to not have that story line pay off at the end. That was a big swing a miss for me

Also, Pete saving Julia from the crate was really poorly shot. They didn't show any of it - and for good reason! There's no way he would've been able to!

This show just doesn't seem to be able to reach its full potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad