Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
....have you read his scouting reports? They are horrible and tell you nothing about the player.

Reciting where a guy is from and who his junior coach is, isn't "a wealth of knowledge". I can do that in 5 seconds on google.
We'll have to agree to disagree here. He's well connected at the junior level, takes in a lot of games, etc. Of everyone working in a media capacity in North America, and not working as a professional scout, he's about as capable as it gets.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We'll have to agree to disagree here. He's well connected at the junior level, takes in a lot of games, etc. Of everyone working in a media capacity in North America, and not working as a professional scout, he's about as capable as it gets.
I'm not disputing he's not well connected. That doesn't mean he is able to provide any insights on prospects to his readers/listeners though.

Like, look at these write-ups from his most recent draft rankings. What does this tell me about either player? What do they play like?

1712332447046.png

• Haha
Reactions: Satan

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I disagree with paragraph 1. TV has been around for a century and it will be around for another 100 years.

TSN has football (Canadian College, U.S. College, the CFL and the NFL in the summer / fall / winter. They have the World Juniors. They have March Madness. They'll be more than fine.

If Amazon, Apple and Netflix want the streaming rights to Canada, take em - they'll burn thru money like Rogers did.

The NHL will want a presence on Canadian TV - and that's something Amazon, Apple and Netflix cannot provide. TSN and Sportsnet should work together to negotiate a very profitable deal with the NHL for TV. If the NHL isn't interested in their terms, walk away and we'll see who blinks first.
Whats the point of being on TV if newer generations are not getting cable and instead using stream subscriptions. You will destroy future generation's interest in the sport.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Whats the point of being on TV if newer generations are not getting cable and instead using stream subscriptions. You will destroy future generation's interest in the sport.
Be on both - and the NHL will. Just don't overpay for it like Rogers did 10 years ago

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I'm not sure why some posters want to see TSN and Rogers pay thru the nose for the NHL package? Are they worried about the Salary Cap?

As a Canadian, a shareholder in both companies and someone who subscribes to one of these companies for phone, cable and internet, I want to see TSN and Rogers get the best deal possible.

Rogers tried streaming and paying big 10 years ago. It's come back to haunt them. They both need to put shareholders first and play hard ball - and if that means walking away from the NHL, so be it.

Again, my guess, the NHL blinks first.
Can tell you're a shareholder. They should put customers first, give them a very good product, the profits will then follow.

Reactions: zeeto

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Netflix got fake fighting in Canada which is going to be a huge get in terms of streaming. It guarantees them six or so figures worth of subs who will never cancel because they will pay $15 a month to see Triple H wrestle for life.

Amazon going after the NHL makes sense. There is a lot of synergy that is possible with the league as well. They could replace the Zamboni drivers and ice girls with people from Intelcom. I could see Spartacat shooting misdelivered Amazon packages out of a bazooka at fans as a good in game activity. It's like you don't know if it's a PS5 or bootleg crest white strips but just getting an Amazon box mid game would turn the NHL into a magical experience.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Hard to tell whether it has any impact on the French broadcast. My legal reflexes tells me it doesn't, but they also tell me that I should know better than to speculate on this since it'S not like I've reviewed the Quebecor/Rogers deal (or the Rogers/Amazon deal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad