TV: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime Series

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Amazon just won a bidding war to develop a Lord of the Rings TV series for an absolutely ridiculous $250M price tag.

Amazon Sets ‘The Lord of the Rings’ TV Series In Mega Deal With Multi-Season Commitment

Making a series while the films are still pretty fresh in people's minds seems like a risk, but the gamble here is to have a Game of Thrones style hit and bring up their subscriber base. Amazon hasn't had a big runaway hit.

Funny enough, if you're going to remake a recent series of book based fantasy films, I think Harry Potter would work a lot better.

Reactions: hitman9172

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm interested, as long as they aren't just rehashing the LOTR or Hobbit books/films into a TV series.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
HP has fantastic beasts going on right now, so as much as I'd like to see an older cast in a show even then that's kind of early. I'd love for a GOT style show for Lord of the Rings. Been my wish since Game of Thrones aired. Either gonna be real good or a total miss.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Sounds like it could possbily be either the Silmarillion, or stuff from the appendices. That's pretty cool. I love the original movie trilogy, so I don't want them to remake those even if they weren't 100% faithful to the books.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It's supposed to be stuff that happened well before the timeframe the books/movies take place.

Sure, but there are still lore changes made for the films which could cause conflict.

My guess is this is going to be a clean slate re-boot of the lore, especially because New Line Cinema isnt involved.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Sounds like it could possbily be either the Silmarillion, or stuff from the appendices. That's pretty cool. I love the original movie trilogy, so I don't want them to remake those even if they weren't 100% faithful to the books.

Besides the Silmarillion there is also the Book of Unfinished Tales that deals with history after the Silmarillion but before the Hobbit/LotR. There's a lot of material there if they go that route, hopefully they won't mess it up.

I'm a little surprised because I think Christopher Tolkien had said that he didn't think there should be any more film adaptations of his father's work. I guess the money was too good to pass up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Cool. I'll watch. Yeah I thought Christopher was pretty down on the whole treatment of LOTR and wasn't going to sell. Shrewd negotiator he is.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Sure, but there are still lore changes made for the films which could cause conflict.

My guess is this is going to be a clean slate re-boot of the lore, especially because New Line Cinema isnt involved.
New Line is involved and they stated it would take place before Lord of the Rings.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Wondering if they might go more Shadows of Mordor type story routes...gritty LotR stuff.
I'd rather watch a Frodo & Sam love story than anything similar to the plot from Shadow of Mordor/War.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I for one am interested in 10 straight hours about Tom Bombadil.

Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

This thing writes itself.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I for one am interested in 10 straight hours about Tom Bombadil.

Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

This thing writes itself.

I'm on board

91rKy9ZVcEL.jpg

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018

Personally I think the 1993 adaption of Lord of the Rings is more thoughtful interpretation of that journey. This definite edition vastly outshines those popcorn Hollywood-versions you've had to suffer through before the internet made you aware of these. Vesa Vierikko as Gandalf and Kari Väänänen as Strider and Gollum turn it with perhaps the performances of their life in this celebrated nine part edition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad