Trade: Amari Cooper to Dallas for a 1st round pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Based on coopers play the past year and 6 games he wasn’t going to be worth $13.9 million for his 5th year option based on his production.

That’s the business side of the transaction. Raiders could hold onto him for another year but moving him gets tougher next year since he comes with a higher cap.

For Dallas, they gave up a pick and next year have to pay him. Watkins, coming off an underwhelming rookie contract performance still got paid well. So, that’s probably the ballpark for a long term deal for him.

A mid first gets a 4 year deal around $15 million? So, about the same as coopers contract for next year.

I can’t make sense of Gruden comments.

In the final 10 games he really needs to find out if Conley and Joseph and any young player can actually play their scheme. Nothing left to lose now. No point continuing to play vets in those positions.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
Without Dak that game Sunday is a blowout. I hear about how he is bad, he's not. He's not bad at all. His CAST around him is bad.

Who is Michael Gallup? Cole Beasley a #1 :laugh: Who is Allen Hurns? Those are people off the street.
He can’t read a defense, and he’s not very accurate with most of his throws. The 2 most important attributes a QB must have to be successful. Dak has neither. He has a very good offensive line, a great RB, and a very good defense. The WR’s aren’t the greatest, but they look much worse with him being the QB.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dak is fine, but as it is with any non-elite QB he needs talent around him. Their WR/TE situation is arguably the worst in the league.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
He can’t read a defense, and he’s not very accurate with most of his throws. The 2 most important attributes a QB must have to be successful. Dak has neither. He has a very good offensive line, a great RB, and a very good defense. The WR’s aren’t the greatest, but they look much worse with him being the QB.
Pre-Cooper, was there a worse pass catching cast in the league? It seems unfair to rate Prescott who still has time to grow in his role, with the atrocity that was around him.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
Pre-Cooper, was there a worse pass catching cast in the league? It seems unfair to rate Prescott who still has time to grow in his role, with the atrocity that was around him.
Atrocity around him? My point is, he has a lot of other good pieces around him. Does he have a good OL? He does. Does he have a great RB? He sure does. He’s so good, that teams stack the line with 9 guys, and dare Dak to beat them in the air. Just like last year. Does he have a good defense? He has that too. I wish Romo had that defense when he was there. Dak is built like a tank, he can scramble, he looks like a good leader, has a decent arm and seems like a great guy, on and off the field. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, he can’t read a defense, and most of his throws aren’t very accurate. You can have all the receivers you want, but if you can’t find them and put the ball in their hands, it doesn’t matter. I’m a huge Cowboys fan and I hope I’m wrong about him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

One thing I was wondering with Gruden was after he gushed so much about the wildcat offense, that he would come up with some trick plays that were completely bonkers, but it doesn't seem like it.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Atrocity around him? My point is, he has a lot of other good pieces around him. Does he have a good OL? He does. Does he have a great RB? He sure does. He’s so good, that teams stack the line with 9 guys, and dare Dak to beat them in the air. Just like last year. Does he have a good defense? He has that too. I wish Romo had that defense when he was there. Dak is built like a tank, he can scramble, he looks like a good leader, has a decent arm and seems like a great guy, on and off the field. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, he can’t read a defense, and most of his throws aren’t very accurate. You can have all the receivers you want, but if you can’t find them and put the ball in their hands, it doesn’t matter. I’m a huge Cowboys fan and I hope I’m wrong about him.
I was speaking strictly WR group. I'm not arguing you at all here about their OL or Elliott.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Cowboys are solid all around except at receiver.
I mean, the o-line has been pretty bad for much of the year. There's a reason why they just fired their o-line coach. With Frederick out, their rookie LG struggling, and Smith's back seeing him play at maybe the lowest level of his career, Dak is getting hit a lot more than he should.

But I'm not a Dak defender. I like a lot of what he does, but his accuracy limitations can't be erased by any excuse. Even a positive like how he doesn't throw picks is tied to a negative in that he avoids picks because he only throws to guys who are obviously open, which means he is only ever attempting safe throws.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
This trade just looks worse and worse

Not really because they aren't comparable. Cooper is a long term investment at a position that has busted pretty hard in the 1st round of the draft lately. Especially in the 1st round. Tate and DT are short term players. Same with Gordon.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not really because they aren't comparable. Cooper is a long term investment at a position that has busted pretty hard in the 1st round of the draft lately. Especially in the 1st round. Tate and DT are short term players. Same with Gordon.

It's still a bad deal, regardless of the other deals. Dallas signing Cooper to an extension that he doesn't deserve would just make it worse. It will be Roy Williams 2.0 IMO.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
It's still a bad deal, regardless of the other deals. Dallas signing Cooper to an extension that he doesn't deserve would just make it worse. It will be Roy Williams 2.0 IMO.

They have 25 games to make that decision. This deal was made to help Dak, they need to know what they have in him before they make a decision on a long term contract.

I do think the Cowbkys overpaid but the deals made today aren’t even close to being similar. It’s a reach to compare this deal to the others made today

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They have 25 games to make that decision. This deal was made to help Dak, they need to know what they have in him before they make a decision on a long term contract.

I do think the Cowbkys overpaid but the deals made today aren’t even close to being similar. It’s a reach to compare this deal to the others made today
The other deals would've allowed them to see what they have in Dak. I do agree that this trade has more long-term upside though.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Cooper has some serious drop issues, but he brings something they don't have. No other pass catcher on the roster can make plays like him.

But.... I think the question is about the cost. This Cowboys team isn't a WR away from being a contender. Trading this pick also locks them into Dak for next season when there's a strong possibility the season ends with the Cowboys thinking they need to go find a QB, and they just gave away the one main avenue to getting a QB.
Time to admit I was wrong. Cooper has been a huge addition for the Cowboys.

He's been ten times better than advertised. The talk about drops hasn't shown up at all. The questions about his effort have been met by a guy who gives great effort on the field, especially when it comes to running the best routes of any Cowboy I've seen in years and years. Cooper gets himself open just by doing his job so well.

Considering who his QB is, look at these numbers. Wow.

Reactions: fin8

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not shocked. It was time to move on from Oakland. He's in a better situation, and he's predictably thriving.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think I posted in here at the time, he's the anti-Dez. No contested catches, just gets himself open. Glad he's found a spot that's a great fit.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its turning out great for Cowboys cant deny it

Thought it had potential to be another Roy Williams type mistake by Jerry and company

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This post aged as bad as my ex wife.

Cooper leads the league in receiving yards since being traded to the Cowboys
I'll take the L on this for sure. He's been great and the Cowboys are going to be a playoff team.

Think they are a step below Rams/Saints/Bears, but they are much better since the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad